Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Fairly long road trip in May

My wife and I are travelling from Eastern WV to Northern MN for the summer on our 2020 Spyder RTL with the freedom trailer. While I have the clothing gear down (though we may take heated gear as it was early May last year before the ice was off the lakes up north), I would be interested in hearing what others bring like tire repair kit, any fluids etc.

Also, when we drive this in the car it takes us 3 10 Hour days on interstates. This time I am looking at US highways rather than interstates at least when I get to Ohio and taking longer to enjoy the journey more. Also, this July we will be attending the Deadwood rally.

I have watched a lot of YouTube videos and have good ideas, but I am always open to more insights.

Thanks.
    2020 Limited , Petrol Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take 36 out of Hannibal Mo it goes all the way to Denver or cut up depending on where you need to go Very enjoyable ride

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I will take a look at that route. I also like to avoid tornados if possible, on a goldwing trip in Ohio I was too close for comfort.

Spyder Garage

Yes, early to mid May for ice to go off a lot of the Northern Lakes. I used to live in Duluth, and am very familiar with Northern MN. We did a lot of BWCAW canoeing and camping back in the 90's. Also liked the Gunflint Trail area and N. Shore.

Are you going to any of those areas? Also did some walleye fishing in Lake of the Woods.

A tire repair kit might be a good add on....but your new 2020 has brand new tires...that would be a low priority for me. Also, leave the oil at home....the 1330's do not use any oil between changes.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Well in college I worked as a guide in Quetico Provincial Park in the late 60’s, I love the canoe country. But then I left MN after college. We now have a summer place about 90 miles west of Duluth. But the North Shore of Lake Superior is about my favorite place in the world. I am glad you got to experience it and it is the reason we returned.

Spyder Garage

You might consider a tire gauge and air pump to check and adjust tire pressure if necessary. Also water to keep hydrated and snacks.
    Yellow 2013RT SE5(Previous)
    Champagne Metallic 2017RT LTD SE6

Spyder Garage

Thanks, good points. I was thinking of looking for a battery powered air pump after watching the YouTube of a guy with a flat on Forty Times around. It took him forever to hand pump a tire after a flat.

Spyder Garage

If you've ever wanted to see the headwaters of the Mississippi River include a leg through Itasca State Park. Remember too that the mosquito is the MN state bird.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Northern MN in May (and into June) can be like late Fall early winter. In the Duluth area the weather on top of the bluff can be significantly warmer than along the North Shore. Make sure you have cold weather riding gear with you.

WI 35 is a nice ride north to Superior, WI. Cross the Bong bridge into MN. Place called Amazing Graze is an awesome place to eat in Duluth. And one can't go to the Northshore with out stopping at Betty's Pies!~
    BKMNI
    RWP!
    2018 F3 Limited
    Intense Red Pearl

2015 Harley Davidson
    FLRT "Freewheeler"
    Vivid Black

2018 F3 Limited Dark , Stock Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I'm in the camp of if you bring something, it will ward off the evil spirits that happen, and you won't need it. A small air pump and tire plugs should be in your kit. I ran a cigarette lighter plug to the underseat area on my 12, and now again on my 19. I use it for GPS, but it is centrally located, and will run my compressor. Stop N Go, Slime, Dynaplug, all small compressors. Harbor Freight, TSC, WalMart all have plug kits that can get you moving. A pack of hand cleaners. Bandaids . A decent LED flashlight. Rain gear, and layers for temp changes. Extra gloves. I hate putting on damp gloves the next day if it's rained. Microfiber towel and visor cleaner for gas stops. AMA membership for roadside assistance and hotel discounts.
    And 2 credit cards. I was in DC a few years back and my card was hacked at a local restaurant. I found out 2 days later when it was shut off, but the card company could not get me a card overnight, or to where I was. Home address only.

Spyder Garage

RE: Post #8 Yes on Itasca State Park. Went there in the 60's with a summer camp group. We brought canoes and put in the Mississippi when it got wide enough. Spend the whole day down and back exploring the headwaters of ol Miss. An interesting swamp where the Mississippi meandered back and forth for the whole time we were on it. Thousands of Red Winged Blackbirds that day.

RE: Post #9 And who can go up the North Shore without stopping at Betty's Pies...just North of Two Harbors. We did that as a regular stop on our return trips. It has also appeared on TV. I think Andrew Zimmern did it on one of his tours of North Shore attractions.

Back to the program.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

carry a can or fixaflat for those flat tire issues....

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the feedback. Yes the North Shore is my favorite part of the world and we usually go to Betty's Pies. But I will look for Amazing Graze as a place to eat. My summer place is about 90 miles west of Duluth in Mosquito country, though last year they weren't bad, though my wife disagrees. I will go to Itasca State Park this year as I have not been there since I grew up in SW MN. As far as cold goes we have heated gear as needed and with the Freedom Trailer we should be good. This year we won't have a car in MN, but my brother-in-law covers that plus there are a lot of off highway trails to explore with his Can Am four wheelers.

I will take everyone's comments and add them to the list. I don't fish, but my brother-in-law does so we have a lot of summer fish fries. I tend to go to the lakes with the camera and looking for wildlife. Last year I saw one wolf and no live bears though one came through our parking lot.

Since I will be fully retired by then, theoretically, we can take off from WV anytime we feel like to look at the weather fronts coming across the US to get the best travel weather.

I will look at the flat tire options. I had not seen fixaflat before.

We also plan to go to the Ely Blueberry Festival this summer and the Deadwood Rally.

Again, Thanks.

Spyder Garage

I don't have personal experience with either, but my impression from earlier threads is that most seem to prefer the mushroom-style plug over the strips...

https://www.amazon.com/Stop-Go-1075-...SIN=B0018EUDHW

This jump start kit includes a portable compressor

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Batt...07HRYR7MF&th=1

Enjoy the ryde!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Will, If your going over to Itasca State Park, make sure you ride Cty Rd 113 that starts on the south side of Itasca at Hwy 71 and heads west. It is one of my favorite roads in Minnesota. You won't regret it!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I will check Cty Rd 113 that starts on the south side of Itasca at Hwy 71 and heads west out as I will have plenty of time. I really appreciate the feedback. Do you live up north?

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I. Will check them out.

Spyder Garage

That is the links from Raprider.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by will View Post
    Thanks, I will check Cty Rd 113 that starts on the south side of Itasca at Hwy 71 and heads west out as I will have plenty of time. I really appreciate the feedback. Do you live up north?
    Up north from WV, yes, but central MN near St. Cloud. I've driven 113 with my Spyder, my Cobra, and the truck with a snowmobile trailer. Great fun with the Cobra and the Spyder. Not so much fun when snow covered with the truck and the trailer!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

We live in Hill City MN in the summer and I just looked up the details on 113, I will ride it this summer as I like to head over to Walker with my camera. I ordered and just received the big Chippewa National Forest map which I was planning to use to plan rides this summer and explore the area which is just east of Walker (or Walker is on the sw side of the map).

I grew up in Pipestone, MN and remember Cold Spring beer (late 60's - early 70's) since I see that is where you live. I also came up highway 23 through Cold Spring many times. Have a great day.

Spyder Garage

I put Ride On Wheel Balancer and Tire sealant in all my tires, if you catch a nail it fixes it, and it keeps the tires true. I love the stuff, have used it for two years, its not slime.

Other than that I would add the fourth day. Packing up, fueling and dismounting take longer on the trike, its those little things kill moments in time that will make you fall behind. I would just add the fourth day and enjoy the ride.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

Good points, I will check out the tire products. I think you are right on taking a break. My wife and I will get a good gauge on how long we want to ride when we leave WV for MN and how aging bodies operate. Good luck on getting your last two states.

Spyder Garage

I also suggest getting a good tire plug and compressor set. There is not much on the Spyder that you are going to be able to fix on the road except tires.

Staying on the US Highway system is a great way to travel. I'll also second Highway 36 through Missouri instead of I-70 if your are traveling a bit more northerly. I'm amazed at how little traffic is on most US Highways compared to Interstates yet they are often 4 lane roads. Gas, convenience stores and restaurants are often directly off the road. You will travel about 5-10 miles an hour slower than an Interstate but you will see more, be more relaxed and enjoy the ride more. I ride the Interstates when I need to make time but for me the time goes by slower because there is less to see from the road.

Your individual comfort on traveling each day may be different from mine but I plan my riding day not by the miles but by the hour. I always budget a six hour driving day. Once I add a couple hours for various gas stops, lunch, etc., it will add two more hours so I end up with an 8 hour travel day. I leave my hotel at 8:00 am and arrive at my next destination at 4:00 pm. I get off my bike, stretch out in the hotel room for a bit and shower up and then head out for dinner. I'll be turning 63 next month and when I am doing one of my 7-10 day trips I want to enjoy the trip, not feel like I have to book it down the road 700 miles a day. So, some days I'll travel 360 miles, others I may hit 450 miles.

Long distance riding is my favorite experience with my Spyder. You will have a great time.

Spyder Garage

I agree with you on the time, not miles as there can be a significant difference. At 68 I need to pay attention to not trying to be what I remember I could do. So beyond the normal daily exercise and stretch I will be paying attention how I feel as we go as the beauty of retirement is that you have some flexibility.

Spyder Garage

I haven't seen these items mentioned anywhere for a long trip or even just a few hundred miles. Since we do a lot of eating at new places I keep: Tylenol, Advil, Ibuprofen, Imodium, Ex-Lax, PeptoBismol, and Adult Diapers(just a couple, enough to get to the next place to buy more), Diaper Wipes, a small spray water bottle.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black