Thread: 2020 rtl vs f3l

Spyder Garage

Default 2020 rtl vs f3l

I went to the dealer last weekend and was able to compare both of these bikes. Below are a few observations I made.

* The RTL is an absolutely beautiful bike. There are many little tweaks that make the bike feel very upscale. An example is that the rear storage compartments open slowly with a shock absorber. They also close more precise and with less effort.
    * you definitely sit lower on the F3L vs the RTL
    * The floorboards on the RTL are to die for. They are simply amazing.
    * when sitting on the RTL, the windshield, handlebars, and controls all feel closer to you which to me is kind of comforting. I can easily reach the compartment where your cell phone goes. I feel more tucked in behind the windshield.
    * when sitting on the F3L, the front feels more stretched out and away from you. I have to lean way forward to reach the cell phone compartment as well as touch the dials.
    * from what the sales person told me, there seems to be more technology in the RTL concerning the shock absorbers and automatic leveling.
    * The trunks of both bikes felt wonderful and more substantial than previous models. Both have the easy removal mechanisms. LINQ

I still haven’t made up my mind which one I like more. But for me the pros and cons for each bike are listed below.

RTL Pros
    * floorboards! I could die on these. Simply amazing. So many ways to stay comfortable.
    * luxury feeling
    * feel safe and in control behind the windshield and dash

RTL Cons
    * higher seating position
    * higher price
    * worried about how to clean bugs and road debris out of the huge lower side air intakes

F3L Pros
    * love the low sitting position
    * front end looks more aggressive
    * lower cost

F3L Cons
    * floorboards just didn’t cut it in spite of ability to move them forward and back
    * rear floorboards won’t stay up
    * rear side cases harder to close properly

Those are my thoughts. I’m leaning to RTL. How about yours?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ollicat View Post
    I went to the dealer last weekend and was able to compare both of these bikes. Below are a few observations I made.

* The RTL is an absolutely beautiful bike. There are many little tweaks that make the bike feel very upscale. An example is that the rear storage compartments open slowly with a shock absorber. They also close more precisel and with less effort.
    * you definitely sit lower on the F3L vs the RTL
    * The floorboards on the RTL are to die for. They are simply amazing.
    * when sitting on the RTL, the windshield, handlebars, and controls all feel closer to you which to me is kind of comforting. I can easily reach the compartment where your cell phone goes. I feel more tucked in behind the windshield.
    * when sitting on the F3L, the front feels more stretched out and away from you. I have to lean way forward to reach the cell phone compartment as well as touch the dials.
    * from what the sales person told me, there seems to be more technology in the RTL concerning the shock absorbers and automatic leveling.
    * The trunks of both bikes felt wonderful and more substantial than previous models. Both have the easy removal mechanisms. LINQ

I still haven’t made up my mind which one I like more. But for me the pros and cons for each bike are listed below.

RTL Pros
    * floorboards! I could die on these. Simply amazing. So many ways to stay comfortable.
    * luxury feeling
    * feel safe and in control behind the windshield and dash

RTL Cons
    * higher seating position
    * higher price
    * worried about how to clean bugs and road debris out of the huge lower side air intakes

F3L Pros
    * love the low sitting position
    * front end looks more aggressive
    * lower cost

F3L Cons
    * floorboards just didn’t cut it in spite of ability to move them forward and back
    * rear floorboards won’t stay up
    * rear side cases harder to close properly

Those are my thoughts. I’m leaning to RTL. How about yours?
    You are living my exact dilemma but leaning towards the F3. Saving the cash for a used purchase this summer or I’ll wait for a new purchase at year end. I like the looks of the F3 better and plan to ride it for my 2 Day class next month. In April I have an F3 reserved for 4 day moto trip. Curious if you are comparing a 2020 F3L or a 2019?

Spyder Garage

I got the F3 specifically because it looks tons sportier. The RT's look like a yugo kind of thing. The F3, looks like it has a mustang look to it. Simply badass.

Spyder Garage

It is a difficult choice for sure. I solved my problem and just bought a new 2019 F3L. Saved some bucks that way and I am thinking not to many changes, except for color on the 2020 F3L's.

I still have a 2014 RT-S. That is the RTL without the real chrome trim and Garmin. I find my F3 to be just as plush and comfortable as the 2014 RT. I like the looks of the F3 better.

Fast forward to the 2020 RTL's. Big styling changes, many things seem to be improved over the "old style." I LOVE all the colors. This was the change I was waiting for...but the extra $3K or so was a consideration this time around. I paid cash for my new one, so it had to come from savings. I don't have any buyers remorse that I missed the NEW styling that I have been writing about for the last threee years or so on the RT.

If you have the opportunity to test drive both...I sincerely recommend doing so. It is a very big decision and you want to make very sure you get exactly what YOU want. I am thinking at 74, I have purchased my last one. I did say that one time before though about five years ago, so never say never. I have had a good run though. Not many can say they have owned six different Spyders since they first came out. I am a lucky person.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I picked the new 2020 RT, as I came off at ‘14 RT. Over the past few years I came this close to buying an F3 twice, but the floorboard placement flared my sciatica,the lack of storage during touring, and as silly as it seems, and no electronic windshield, held me back.

When I rode the 2020 RT, I was impressed by the new suspension and power handling, LOVED the floorboards, really like the automatic windshield reset, lowered riding position, huge top case and the driver seat only lift for gas. That leaves the the rear passenger seat for luggage when we tour - we live in California and if you tow a trailer, the speed limit is 55 mph, and didn’t want to hamstrung by that. The seat foam is actually pretty good, as we live 140 miles away from the dealer, so the ride home was a good trial.

After test riding the 2020, I took out an F3L and for me, the 2020 was a better choice for our touring style. Although I will never match mileage goddess, Ann Meyer, we manage to put nearly 10k a year on the bikes.

Wishing you many trouble free miles and lots of fun, on whatever you choose.
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Spyder Garage

I was at a dealer's a couple days ago, getting my F3L a laser alignment and while waiting I scoped out the new RTL. There has been a lot of speculation that the RTL's top case is larger and deeper. It appears to be identical to the one on my '17 F3L. My inseam is only 29" and when sitting on the RTL my legs felt cramped and needed more stretch out room. I agree, the bars are a lot closer than an F3's.
    Re the new F3L's side cases not closing easily; they need to be adjusted as mine close quite easily. You just have to be a little assertive.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Yup, both were 2020s

Quote Originally Posted by AVBIZ View Post
    You are living my exact dilemma but leaning towards the F3. Saving the cash for a used purchase this summer or I’ll wait for a new purchase at year end. I like the looks of the F3 better and plan to ride it for my 2 Day class next month. In April I have an F3 reserved for 4 day moto trip. Curious if you are comparing a 2020 F3L or a 2019?

Spyder Garage

Has anyone driven the two back to back ? What are the noticeable differences?

Spyder Garage

I have had an RTL, not a 2020 but a 2017 and just went to a 2019 F3L. As for the Floorboards Pierre at www.canamspyderaccessories.com has the ultimate Floorboards for around $400.00 makes getting on and off a breeze. I have ridden the 2020 RTL and yes it is nice but me personally I would wait for it to be out for a year or so or find a dealer that has one in their demo units which will save you thousands and the bike will have 600 miles on it and typically an additional 1-2 years of warranty.

I know the tech and the owner really well at the dealer where I bought my F3L and they both gave me their honest opinion of the bike and it wasn't very good. The owner said that BRP cheapened the bike by adding more non painted plastics which do not wear well and mark easy. There are issues with the assembly of the bikes with getting things to line up correctly. Maintenance prices will go up due to the additional time it takes to remove the plastics and the extra items they have to take off of them to get the plastics off ie.. rear passenger floor boards to change the oil. The rear saddle bags are a pain to remove if needed and the plastic pins that hold them on are extremely long and not easy to work with

Do your research before you step into something that others have opinions on including me
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents