Spyder Garage

Default Cross Style replacement bars

Can-Am is offering two different style replacement handlebars for the Ryker (sport and cross style). I am wondering about the cross style bars. Are they higher, wider, more pull back than the stock bars? Can-Am doesn't provide any details comparing them to the stock bars except a claim about ergonomics and comfort. Anybody that has tried them, what did you think?
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Have the cross style. They are a fist up and a fist back. I like them better.

Spyder Garage

I also prefer higher and wider handlebars - the handling is now much better - the mirrors sit now in a perfect position, I see much more than before ..
    you can also use the Can-Am Outlander bars or most of the ones of the Motorcycles (I found this old Aprilia ones ..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reYdsKwzlBs&t=22s
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Awesome guys, thanks. Sounds like I need to order a set.

Spyder Garage

I picked up a nice handlebar from Amazon for about $30 that allows me to sit more upright now. It has about a 5" rise and just slightly longer. I also put ISO grips on the bars but they were too long to fit my guards back on it. Not enough clearance, but I don't drive my Rally through the woods anyway, and I put the full rear fender on it so that it does not kick up dirt and water all over me or a passenger if I have one riding with me. In the photo the bars are pulled back a bit before I adjusted them, and the cables are not neatened up yet. I plan to sell the windshield and get a higher one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

MDLNB, very nice! Do you have a link to the ones you got? How much further back do they go from the stock handlebars? I was looking at some fully adjustable ones on eBay, but they limit space on the handlebars tremendously. Thanks in advance!
    2019 900 ACE , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidlifeRyker View Post
    MDLNB, very nice! Do you have a link to the ones you got? How much further back do they go from the stock handlebars? I was looking at some fully adjustable ones on eBay, but they limit space on the handlebars tremendously. Thanks in advance!
    Sorry, I had them listed on my "wish list" on Amazon, and my wife bought them for me as a gift. I deleted them off my list and now I can't remember which ones they were. There is about a five inch difference in reach, which is perfect for me. And I did not have any problem with the wiring being long enough. If I can find the handlebar, I'll post it. As for the grips, they are about a quarter inch longer than the OEM ones. I just removed the end caps and drilled out a 7/8" hole in the ends to accommodate the handlebar. Instead of using the accelerator tube from the new grips, I removed the one from the new grip and slid the grip over the stock tube. Of course, it was slightly shorter than the one that came with the new grip, but not enough to make any difference. All I had to fix the grip to the tube was ShoeGlue so I used that and it is fixed for good, I think. That stuff is amazing. I didn't glue the left hand grip as it is snug enough to suit me. If it gets loose for some reason, I will consider gluing it. I don't see that happening. The handlebar is just right so that I can sit upright, instead of leaning forward. Now, if I can find an inexpensive windshield, I will be all set.

Spyder Garage

Your wife could probably find this in her "orders history"...but I wouldn't go looking myself...just saying, what you don't know and all...
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Yep. They should be listed within Order History.

Thanks for the response!
    2019 900 ACE , Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I kept the stock bars and put 2" Rox risers on.https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/rox-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I kept the stock bars and put 2" Rox risers on.https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/rox-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    some Ryders use this one here .. I love that system (would not work with my fairing..)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-8-Unive...UYORrUpZcVaoJU
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Nice. I wonder if they remain tight and hold their position.

Spyder Garage

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Satin Black, 32" wide with 4" rise. $26+
    Works great and has just enough rise for me. The photo that I previously posted shows the bar before I had adjusted it to it's max height. You can have it back or upright to suit your riding position.

The only "con" about it was that it was smooth where the riser clamps to it and I ended up using a thin piece of rubber to line it and grip it securely. A piece of tire inner tube or double sided tape will work. You can't see it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Didn't even know these existed. Seems a lot easier solution than fully replacing bars, having to drill holes, remounting things, etc. Do you have any pics of them on your Ryker? Thanks for showing those!

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    some Ryders use this one here .. I love that system (would not work with my fairing..)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-8-Unive...UYORrUpZcVaoJU
    Those were what I was looking at getting. Still deciding on what to do. I like the riser idea above due to ease of use.
    2019 900 ACE , Black

Spyder Garage

So, my Can-Am Cross Style bars came in yesterday. I opted to go with the Can-Am version even if they were twice the price of aftermarket because they already had all the holes drilled for alignment pins on my handguards and controls. R&R was a simple process that only took about 30 minutes. I do like the raised and wider hand position; Kid Rykers description of a fist up and a fist back was spot on.

On my first test ride I could feel the difference in control before I got to the end of the street. The bars are only a few inches wider but with the higher and more rearward hand position the bike feels much more planted. Any wandering side to side is gone; likely because my elbows are now bent reducing unwanted input.. High speed control feels much more planted and the effect is greatest in places where road surface is poor. No more right wheel influencing left wheel and vice versa. I understand that Can-AM had a certain "look" that they wanted with the low bars but this is much better for me. Anybody want a set of stock bars?

Spyder Garage

Where did you get that front fairing for your handle bars?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SICARIO View Post
    Where did you get that front fairing for your handle bars?
    its the Can-Am deluxe fairing for the Outlander - you just "click" it on the handlebars - not tools (I love that idea 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtQsis3FES4

Spyder Garage

I wonder if some mini-ape bars would work on the ryker? just a thought.....
    Don't get mad at me if you don't like my answer.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by a99miata View Post
    I wonder if some mini-ape bars would work on the ryker? just a thought.....
    Not necessarily my thing, but they do exist. https://www.lamonstergarage.com/lane...ted-lamonster/

Spyder Garage

How does one determine if (and which style) alternate bars would be beneficial? Wouldn't it somehow depend on the riders height and reach?

I just brought home my Rally yesterday and the bars do feel comfortable in about the middle position (I moved them a couple times yesterday). For reference I am 6'2" with a fairly long reach.