Spyder Garage

Default New garmin map update

I went to the Garmin website yesterday and noticed there is a new US map update. I updated my 595 LM last night.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Yes, new North America map version 2021.1

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I was messing with my 396 and it wanted to update so I let it, took about 1-1/2 hours.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Question, when you buy a new Garmin do you get free updates for a while and if so how long? or do you need to pay for them? Believe there is something called lifetime updates, but could be wrong.

Spyder Garage

Many or most are coming with lifetime map updates for free. If it has an L in the model number it has it.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Gps garmin's

Most are Lifetime updates. That being said 'Things could change down the road'. Still N/C on this One.
    ENJOY your Ryde time and Always Ryde Safe .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

A quick question.... I have a 2014 RT L that came with a Garmin 660. Is there any chance of loosing my stored favorites when I upgrade?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stubby View Post
    A quick question.... I have a 2014 RT L that came with a Garmin 660. Is there any chance of loosing my stored favorites when I upgrade?
    You can back them up before you upgrade just in case, or to transfer to another unit using Garmin Express or use Basecamp.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stubby View Post
    You will loose some states all together, after the upgrade, unless you add a memory card.

Spyder Garage

Lifetime maps. All Zumo 590 from BRP, from factory or dealer, are lifetime maps. Zumo 660 models may be lifetime maps or not. BRP had both. On the 660. Remove the battery cover and battery. If the model number has LM in it. It has lifetime maps. Even if it is not a lifetime map model and you got it used. The previous owner may have bought the lifetime maps and that goes with the gps. Try and update it and see what happens.

How long does lifetime maps last. Not sure. Garmin seems to support some very old devices. Also in the user agreement. It says something about if the gps has not been updated for 2 years. Its life is considered over. They do not seem to enforce that clause.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I have 5+ year old Garmins with LM. They still get the updates. As a prior poster stated, if you have a SD slot, plug one in to get the extra space.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks, updating my Zumo 590 now. It started out saying 35 minutes and now a half an hour later it says 1 hour, 11 minutes.
    2020 Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default @Revalden Garmin 396

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    I was messing with my 396 and it wanted to update so I let it, took about 1-1/2 hours.
    Question... how did you mount the 396? And how do you like it? I have the EXACT same bike... Also if you use the Garmin with headsets.. what make/model... and does that work good.. especially interested if they are Sensa's and if you use the music sharing on the Senas while listening to Pandora/spotify.. (sorry for detail... just had some issues with the 590 and Senas)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RedRTS View Post
    Question... how did you mount the 396? And how do you like it? I have the EXACT same bike... Also if you use the Garmin with headsets.. what make/model... and does that work good.. especially interested if they are Sensa's and if you use the music sharing on the Senas while listening to Pandora/spotify.. (sorry for detail... just had some issues with the 590 and Senas)
    I've also got a 396, on a 2016 RT. I also have the dash accessory mount that I used the Ram mount that came with the 396
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I tried 3 times to get the update to work. In the end I followed the recommendations on the website to remove my device from Garmin express, then delete Garmin express from my computer, restart the computer, re-install Garmin express, add my Zumo again, and then update. It worked.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by will View Post
    I tried 3 times to get the update to work. In the end I followed the recommendations on the website to remove my device from Garmin express, then delete Garmin express from my computer, restart the computer, re-install Garmin express, add my Zumo again, and then update. It worked.
    You probably had an older version of Garmin Express and when you deleted everything, it installed the updated version of Express. I just updated my Garmin 760LM, which I bought because it is for RVs and allow you to put in the length of your RV and the height. That's suppose to make it route you without possibly encountering low overhead bridges/overpasses. Important stuff when the RV is 13'5" height. Anyway, I got the latest version of Express and the 2021.1 US map also.

Spyder Garage

Help Please:
    Can someone explain to me what I have just been told by a Garmin tech.
    I have a Zumo 590, bought with my Spyder 2-1/2 years ago. Supposed to have lifetime maps, etc. I'm not very tech savvy, but believe that I up-dated it a couple of times as required. I know I updated maps a few months ago after billybovine advised doing so. Now, I just tried to get the latest N. America map update. Had problems. Sought help from Garmin tech. On comes a guy who connects to my computer remotely, then tells me I failed a whole bunch of times to update my software, not just my maps. Tells me I ignored a whole bunch of warnings, and now my software is completely out of date and beyond warranty. Says software will no longer work unless I buy upgrades. Tells me the equipment I bought through BRP is more than 5 years old, but I bought it less than three years ago. So, he says he will upgrade my software, give me lifetime this and lifetime that - I can have a 2 year plan for $149.00, a 3-year plan for $249 or until I die for $349. I ask him why I should have to pay anything when I have already paid BRP for a full warranty, not yet expired. WTF??? He says my Zumo is never going to work properly, won't connect to satellites, because it's missing too much software. Really??? Maybe some of you guys who understand this stuff can explain. I'm just going to head back to my dealer and say" fix what I paid for under warranty, or give me new equipment; otherwise forget about any purchase of a new Spyder". I can live w/o the Garmin anyway.

EDIT: I think I may have been able to resolve the new map update problem myself. I had been trying to update Garmin using a new computer. My Garmin Express on my new laptop will not recognize my Zumo 590, - for whatever reason, I'm not sure. I have now connected to my old computer, using my previous G. Express, and my Zumo is now up-dating itself; it had no problems in immediately recognizing my Zumo. As for that Garmin tech, I can only believe it was an attempt to scam and relieve me of money for a bunch of bs reasons. Still, I'm not at all sure my Zumo really does work as it should though; I do get maps, but no turn-by-turn instructions. I can see the maps, follow the road lay-out visually, but not much more. Has been like that for most of its life on my Spyder. Should I expect more?
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Triplethreat, I installed the Garmin Express only a few weeks ago when I bought the Zumo 590 so if it was age, it aged fast. That said, it could have been a bunch of things and I a just glad that I got it updated. But a good point worth considering. Nice to have that height info for your RV, losing the top would not be fun.

Spyder Garage

If you're not using Garmin Express regularly it's still wise to open it occasionally because when you do it will tell you when there are updates and you can install them immediately. When I did the latest map update on my 590 it took less than 30 minutes to update Garmin Express and the Zumo, and less than 30 min to install the map update in BaseCamp. The whole shooting match was over in less than an hour.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    I've also got a 396, on a 2016 RT. I also have the dash accessory mount that I used the Ram mount that came with the 396
    Where did you get the mount that goes to the handlebars that come up to a RAM ball? With that you could mount nearly any GPS? TIA

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    Question, when you buy a new Garmin do you get free updates for a while and if so how long? or do you need to pay for them? Believe there is something called lifetime updates, but could be wrong.
    the "LM" in your Garmin means Lifetime Maps. Not your lifetime but the lifetime of your device. That can be until Garmin decides to stop supporting your device or until you miss a number of updates. Only they know what that number is. I have an old 500 from over 10 years ago that I missed about 3 or 4 years of updates but they still updated it.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze