Spyder Garage

Unhappy Lower headlights out on 2014 RT-S

Hi all, I need help please. My lower set of headlights are out, my mechanic thinks I need a relay. He did replace two 5 amp fuses, but that’s it. He did other work on my bike, but I really need to fix this. Can someone tell mr how to troubleshoot & fix this problem please? I do know how to use a multimeter & I am mechanically inclined. Thanks in advance!
    2014 RT-S , Pearl white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They are fog lights and it could be as simple as the switch is off. (It's under the handlebars.) Could be the connections are't connected? Bulbs good?
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl1 View Post
    Hi all, I need help please. My lower set of headlights are out, my mechanic thinks I need a relay. He did replace two 5 amp fuses, but that’s it. He did other work on my bike, but I really need to fix this. Can someone tell mr how to troubleshoot & fix this problem please? I do know how to use a multimeter & I am mechanically inclined. Thanks in advance!
    A little confused with your statement as the RT's in North America only have one set of headlights. The high beam is controlled with a shutter system.
    Are you saying you have no headlights?
    Are you saying you have high beams, but no low beams?
    As stated by Flamewinger there is places for fog lights, but they did not come on the RT's as standard from the factory. Did you have them put in?
    Did you purchase your RT used? If so maybe the previous owner had them installed.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    A little confused with your statement as the RT's in North America only have one set of headlights. The high beam is controlled with a shutter system.
    Are you saying you have no headlights?
    Are you saying you have high beams, but no low beams?
    As stated by Flamewinger there is places for fog lights, but they did not come on the RT's as standard from the factory. Did you have them put in?
    Did you purchase your RT used? If so maybe the previous owner had them installed.
    Me too. The auxiliary lights, sometimes called fog lights or driving lights, should be OEM and don't require any kind of relay.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Being mechanically inclined, dig in. Not sure why your mechanic was changing fuses or which fuses he changed.

First, as someone mentioned, and this assumes you are referring to the fog lights, are they actually “on” at the switch?

Second if on, but not illuminated, open the frunk lid, then remove the two small black access covers. Ensure all the connectors are joined and seated. If someone previously removed the frunk, always possible the lights were not reconnected.

As a last resort before using your meter, remove the right side only fog light bulb access cover. Disconnect the bulb electrical connector and temporarily connect a known good bulb.

The question though, have the lights ever worked?
    Are you checking them with the Spyder running or simply key on. With key on and not running I believe the lights will not power on.

Spyder Garage

Did they work previously? I know originally, my fog lamps burned out in pretty close succession to each other. If it turns out to be the bulbs, replace them with LEDs for better longevity!
    --
    Bob L.
    Worcester County Massachusetts
    www.rk-mass2.org

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Go to www.canammanuals.com and buy a service manual for your Spyder. It'll have a wiring diagram that you need to figure all this out.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I purchased my RT-S used, but the fog lights look stock, & they were on the bike when I got her. My headlights are working fine.
    2014 RT-S , Pearl white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Being mechanically inclined, dig in. Not sure why your mechanic was changing fuses or which fuses he changed.

First, as someone mentioned, and this assumes you are referring to the fog lights, are they actually “on” at the switch?

Second if on, but not illuminated, open the frunk lid, then remove the two small black access covers. Ensure all the connectors are joined and seated. If someone previously removed the frunk, always possible the lights were not reconnected.

As a last resort before using your meter, remove the right side only fog light bulb access cover. Disconnect the bulb electrical connector and temporarily connect a known good bulb.

The question though, have the lights ever worked?
    Are you checking them with the Spyder running or simply key on. With key on and not running I believe the lights will not power on.
    I noticed my fog lights were out last year when I went to DeLand, & the bike was running. They worked prior to that time so I’m not sure what happened, honestly. Not riding at night until I get that fixed tho, for safety’s sake. I’m going to to do as you suggested & maybe I’ll be lucky & its just the bulbs. I have led bulbs for my headlights so maybe I’ll replace them while I’m at it.
    2014 RT-S , Pearl white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl1 View Post
    I noticed my fog lights were out last year when I went to DeLand, & the bike was running. They worked prior to that time so I’m not sure what happened, honestly. Not riding at night until I get that fixed tho, for safety’s sake. I’m going to to do as you suggested & maybe I’ll be lucky & its just the bulbs. I have led bulbs for my headlights so maybe I’ll replace them while I’m at it.
    Curious, do you burn the foglights at all times, even during daytime. If so, very possibly the bulbs burnt out.

As I mentioned, check the right side, very easy access in regards to removing and reinstalling the black plastic cover. Left side is very difficult for most people.

Swapping all the lights to high power LEDs does make riding at night safer. Just ensure you buy high quality LED setups as the less expensive versions according to others here have failed early.

If you were closer, I would offer to help get your Spyder sorted out.

Spyder Garage

Default Fog lights

The fog lights are on the same circuit as the horn and the compressor (if you have one) So if the compressor went bad and blew the fuse (it says load shedding)…...none of the above will work. Try your horn.....if it doesn't work, you may have a different problem.
    Bob, k7xi. 2013 RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by k7xi View Post
    The fog lights are on the same circuit as the horn and the compressor (if you have one) So if the compressor went bad and blew the fuse (it says load shedding)…...none of the above will work. Try your horn.....if it doesn't work, you may have a different problem.
    This info is now on my phone notes for Spyder.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Me too. The auxiliary lights, sometimes called fog lights or driving lights, should be OEM and don't require any kind of relay.
    RT-S model, as mentioned by the OP...does come with the auxillary (lower/fog) lights as standard. They are operated by a switch on the panel of four. If not the switch, then the bulbs or the wiring or the fuse. Unlikely that both bulbs would burn out at the same time...IMO.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    RT-S model, as mentioned by the OP...does come with the auxillary (lower/fog) lights as standard. They are operated by a switch on the panel of four. If not the switch, then the bulbs or the wiring or the fuse. Unlikely that both bulbs would burn out at the same time...IMO.
    I think it's been reported by some members they didn't realize one fog light was burned out until the second one also burned out!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I had that problem a while back on my 2014 RT-S. It was a bad switch on that 4-switch panel under the handlebars.