Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new love

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default My new love

…. I'll ( hopefully ) hit 73 next month and have decided to get a 2020 Vette. … never owned one ( I've been a Ford guy most of my life ) … so I figure it's time ….. the whole mid-engine thing gives me Goose bumps …. I wanted a Ford GT 40, but I'm not rich ….. I'm planning to sell most of my Toys and could possibly clear $ 55,000 …. I think the Basic package could keep me happy for the rest of my driving career ….. wish me luck ...………. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    …. I'll ( hopefully ) hit 73 next month and have decided to get a 2020 Vette. … never owned one ( I've been a Ford guy most of my life ) … so I figure it's time ….. the whole mid-engine thing gives me Goose bumps …. I wanted a Ford GT 40, but I'm not rich ….. I'm planning to sell most of my Toys and could possibly clear $ 55,000 …. I think the Basic package could keep me happy for the rest of my driving career ….. wish me luck ...………. Mike
    No more Spyder? What toys? I like the way you think!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I'm thinking your going to like the Vette. At this time in our lives, a long way to go, and a short time to get there. Enjoy it to the fullest measure.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

And the Best of Luck to you!

Just don't be a stranger here!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    No more Spyder? What toys? I like the way you think!
    Sell the Spyder ….. NEVER ….. however my Cobra Daytona, the Cobra 427 roadster, and the Mercedes Benz 500 K can go on the block ….. even the Porsche 917 isn't safe ….. ……….. Mike

Spyder Garage

That sounds like an excellent idea. Best of Luck with your new toy.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I too have always been a Ford guy and I still dream of a GT 40...I could almost see myself in the 2020 Vette...I think GM took a short cut by not offering AWD with that kind of performance...larryd

Spyder Garage

Hey Mike, I'm jealous! I think the Vette is a better way to go than the GT40 because the Vette is MUCH easier to get in and out of. That's an important factor for us mature people. I too drool over the GT40, but the Vette is really more practical as well as being a helluva lot cheaper.
    I'm 83 and drive a Chrysler 300C wit da Hemi cus we need a sedan and there is only room in our garage for two vehicles. So no additional wheel toys allowed. I have had this car on the track (a road race course) and will again this summer. If you have a course near you and they do the SCCA Track Nights, take your Vette there - it's a hoot!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

The 917!!!!!? That has been a couple year project that you acquired from Arizona. You just can't put that on the block. But a 2020 Vette..... Sweet..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Hey Mike, I'm jealous! I think the Vette is a better way to go than the GT40 because the Vette is MUCH easier to get in and out of. That's an important factor for us mature people. I too drool over the GT40, but the Vette is really more practical as well as being a helluva lot cheaper.
    I'm 83 and drive a Chrysler 300C wit da Hemi cus we need a sedan and there is only room in our garage for two vehicles. So no additional wheel toys allowed. I have had this car on the track (a road race course) and will again this summer. If you have a course near you and they do the SCCA Track Nights, take your Vette there - it's a hoot!
    " 300 C " …. When I was a teenager one of my friends sold His split window Vette for a 300 C because He wanted a convertible and it had the Hemi ….. I thought that was a mis-take ….. Mike

Spyder Garage
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Yep, but His was light metallic blue and No roof …. considering how heavy it was the Hemi could get it moving at a very fast clip ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    And the Best of Luck to you!

Just don't be a stranger here!
    As stated above, not selling the Spyder ...……...Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    The 917!!!!!? That has been a couple year project that you acquired from Arizona. You just can't put that on the block. But a 2020 Vette..... Sweet..... Jim
    " the 917 " …. a word to the wise - be very very careful of what and how people describe their car. …. I bought the 917 on E-bay …(for cheap ) lots of pics, but they turned out to be deceptive …. I could have gotten it on the road in about 3-4 weeks, but only a Dwarf could have been comfortable in it …. and the bare engine was actually between the seats so it couldn't be registered in Vermont …. none of the pics showed this …. also there was no access to the engine , unless the entire body was removed from the frame …. So far I have solved most of the major issues, now a person up 6'4" & 200 lbs could drive it. The rear half opens via electric struts, I figured out what & where to get an entire new front suspension ( ala Mustang II ) …. and how to build a new front frame & how to attach it to the rear half … I bought this car Before I decided to re-enter the downhill ski sport …. last year I skied 66 days …. this year 44 so far …. the project is moving along but at a slower pace than I would like …. but that's how life is sometimes. I just take it one day at a time … and try to maximize my Happy time. …… Thanks …. Mike …. Before I sell the Cobra Roadster, I plan to take it over and see Bob ( Denman ) and His wife ( Cathy ? ) , Bob once told me She loved Cobra's, so if She can we'll take it for a spin - and go as fast as She wants …..
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-20-2020 at 01:57 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just bought a fun toy for my 50th birthday. I considered a vette also, but decided to get something more practical for my needs. I bought a 400hp 2020 Ford Explorer ST. This thing is a blast to drive! And with a programmer and exhaust, you can get the hp up around 550! Congrats on your future vette, but I like your kit cars much better because they are more unique. IMG_20200201_131553414_HDR.jpg
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I just bought a fun toy for my 50th birthday. I considered a vette also, but decided to get something more practical for my needs. I bought a 400hp 2020 Ford Explorer ST. This thing is a blast to drive! And with a programmer and exhaust, you can get the hp up around 550! IMG_20200201_131553414_HDR.jpg
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET , Those things are very deceptive, reminds me of the Chevy 409 a real Sleeper in it's day ….. enjoy ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Very cool, but have you found one available ? Thought I heard that the basic packages were very limited/sold out ?

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wish you luck.

Spyder Garage

Corvette sounds nice. Regarding GT40, a while back I met Scott C. He was the importer of Tornado Sports Cars here in the US. Tornado offered a pretty nice GT40. Not sure if Scott C is still involved with importing the cars. He was in your area, maybe southern New England.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Corvette sounds nice. Regarding GT40, a while back I met Scott C. He was the importer of Tornado Sports Cars here in the US. Tornado offered a pretty nice GT40. Not sure if Scott C is still involved with importing the cars. He was in your area, maybe southern New England.
    " GT 40 ", a company - Superformance was having a replica made for them in So. Africa, it was in the $100,000 range. it closely replicated the original. …. My two Cobra's are both Replica's, as is the Mercedes. Tornado may also be sourcing their's from So. Africa ….Thanks , Mike

Spyder Garage

We did no go with a Full Corvette, but we did own an older LS1 Camaro for years. I loved that car. We still keep a fast car around as well. Its not a super sport or a Vette, but we do own the Dodge Dart ST (with the twin turbo 1.4L, they call it MultiAir), its rated at 300 HP in a compact car, and I had to tune that a little too don't you know. Just yesterday I whooped up on some idiot in an older BMW 5 series whose owner thought his grandpa sedan was fast. My youngest boy owns it for now, and he wants to trade it to me for my RAM1500 with some cash when he gets older.

Than my RAM1500, now that is a whole other beast, Hemi 5.7 with the newer multispeed tranny (8 or 9 speed, I always forget how many it has). That is one hella fast pickup, and I have no issues reminding people all the time that "Yes, it has a Hemi". I put on a Magna Flow Dual Exhaust (I had the old Canadian Single Pipe set up), cold air intake and the performance chip...Yea, my truck has a Hemi, and I wont own anything less than that from now on. SO I do not blame you for getting the Vette. You have earned it.

I want the new Polaris or Can Am Performance Side by Side. I keep taking the RAM down these abandoned mining trails, and I am gonna get stuck out there one of these days if I keep ****ing around, and we do not have cell service here, so the side by side is something we can more safely explore the area in.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

" GT 40 ", a company - Superformance was having a replica made for them in So. Africa, it was in the $100,000 range. it closely replicated the original. …. My two Cobra's are both Replica's, as is the Mercedes. Tornado may also be sourcing their's from So. Africa ….Thanks , Mike
    Tornado is a UK company building the chassis there in the UK.
    Years ago, while training Scott C in advanced composite repair, we discussed these cars he was i porting. Granted this is not vs a new 20 Corvette, but it seems Scotts GT40 Tornado had shamed his bosses Corvette. So apparently these Tornado cars are pretty light, fast and well handling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Tornado is a UK company building the chassis there in the UK.
    Years ago, while training Scott C in advanced composite repair, we discussed these cars he was i porting. Granted this is not vs a new 20 Corvette, but it seems Scotts GT40 Tornado had shamed his bosses Corvette. So apparently these Tornado cars are pretty light, fast and well handling.
    Thanks - I have loved the GT 40 since it whooped Ferrari back in the ( but that was After Shelby's Cobra Daytona had already done it - only 6 were ever made ) ….. But even the street model was a squeeze to operate and really bad visibility.... and it was suspended for track duty ….. I'm old and want something a bit more comfortable for long distance touring ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Great thread.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

:clap: …. I'll ( hopefully ) hit 73 next month and have decided to get a 2020 Vette. … never owned one ( I've been a Ford guy most of my life ) … so I figure it's time ….. the whole mid-engine thing gives me Goose bumps …. I wanted a Ford GT 40, but I'm not rich ….. I'm planning to sell most of my Toys and could possibly clear $ 55,000 …. I think the Basic package could keep me happy for the rest of my driving career ….. wish me luck ...………. Mike
    Wish you luck, they are in high demand, my brother would get one but none available around him, he is in Texas I too love this monster just need a bigger garage. I have owned 3 previous vets each a different generation, this by far is the one!

287BAD37-BBC8-4485-994F-87ACA4AF53EE_1_201_a.jpg

such a gorgeous car! great choice

What color you considering?