Spyder Garage

Default Unpainted catalytic converter

Hey Brp does a nice job finishing the whole machine except for the bare metal catalytic converter hanging on the bottom looks like hell! Has any of you spider riders ever attempted to paint it with a high heat paint? I have some high heat header paint able to withstand 1300°F has any have you attempted it and did the paint last or flake off?
    SNOWMOBILING ON PAVEMENT!!!

Spyder Garage

When my F3 was new, I simply cleaned my cat thoroughly with lacquer thinner and sprayed on a few coats of Rustoleum high heat paint. Thousands of miles later, there has been no flaking or peeling. Heating up the cat, the first few times, really "cures" the paint.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FIRECAT View Post
    Hey Brp does a nice job finishing the whole machine except for the bare metal catalytic converter hanging on the bottom looks like hell! Has any of you spider riders ever attempted to paint it with a high heat paint? I have some high heat header paint able to withstand 1300°F has any have you attempted it and did the paint last or flake off?
    " Un-painted Cat " …. It's stainless steel - How much time do you spend lying on the ground looking at it ….. ???? …. Ride more - worry less ….jmho ….. Mike ………….However as " VitoNam " suggested that High Heat paint will work …. but it will get scratched and DIRTY
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-19-2020 at 01:09 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

you can always take it off

Spyder Garage

I sell the oem converter on ebay that are ceramic coated with cerakote this is a radiant heat barrier reducing the radiant heat up to 400 degrees https://www.ebay.com/itm/20273349540...84.m1555.l2649 and i also offer my cat delete that has a little deeper tone and also is available in the black ceramic coating https://www.ebay.com/itm/1330-Can-am...UAAOSwHDJcQXeF

Spyder Garage

I have Ricky's cat delete on our F3L and he's not pulling your leg. It produces a deeper tone and no increase in the sound level.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your input I think maybe I’ll pull the whole thing right off and paint it with the high heat paint do it properly, is there a big job pulling this converter off just a few springs????

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FIRECAT View Post
    Thanks for your input I think maybe I’ll pull the whole thing right off and paint it with the high heat paint do it properly, is there a big job pulling this converter off just a few springs????
    It's not a complicated process, but the springs will give you a fight. Here's a step by step....
    + Loosen, but don't remove the muffler hanger bolt. You need two 15mm wrenches.
    + Undo the the clamp at the aft end of the cat. A deep socket on an impact driver is a great help to remove and replace the clamp.
    + Now you can undo the hanger bolt andremove the muffler. If there is a seal, save it and use it again.
    + Remove the 3 springs - easier said than done. They are tough and a spring puller tool did not do the job for me. What did work, was a stout, flat screwdriver that I used to pry them off. Did the same to re-attach them.
    + To remove the cat, observe where 3 rods go into rubber grommets and slip them out. Save any seals that were used and use again.
    You should be able to do this - my 10 yo great grandson removed the cat and installed the delete with my supervision.
    DSCN2717.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I painted mine with VHT high heat matte black. Has never burned or flaked off.

Mike, on the F3 the cat is clearly visible from the side of the bike due to lack of body work mid bike. Kinda sticks out, especially on darker color bikes. Painting it black makes it disappear or at least not be noticable.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Yeah it sticks out like a sore thumb on my all black F3 limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I painted mine with VHT high heat matte black. Has never burned or flaked off.

Mike, on the F3 the cat is clearly visible from the side of the bike due to lack of body work mid bike. Kinda sticks out, especially on darker color bikes. Painting it black makes it disappear or at least not be noticable.
    OK, I was thinking RT, OP didn't say what He had. …. and I don't always check to see what forum I'm looking at ….. Mike