Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Info about Doc Humphrey's Air Ryde Rock Guard

As most of you know by now Doc Humphreys has evaporated from the Spyder scene, and all his accessories have evaporated with him. One of his most beneficial accessories was his Air Ryde Rock Guard to protect the rear suspension air bag from getting rocks under it and wearing holes into the bag. Fortunately, based on my observation and installation of his guard about two years ago I am confident anyone who is somewhat technically proficient can duplicate it.

Two things you need to buy. Go to any good plumbing material retailer and purchase a rubber test cap for a 4" ABS drain, waste, and vent pipe. Toss the hose clamp from it into your "material resource pile for potential future projects"! Drill a 3/8" hole dead center in the end. Buy from a hardware store, or wherever you can, an 8 mm x 80 mm flange head bolt. You probably can use a hex bolt with a washer but I wouldn't guarantee it. You don't want a bolt too long because it goes into the bottom of the air bag and if it's too long I'm guessing you'll destroy the bag. Read Doc's cautions carefully.

Doc's installation instructions are here: https://roadsterrenovations.wordpres...de-rock-guard/. How long they will stay there is anyone's guess. His YouTube videos are all gone. Read his instructions closely, and then review my discussion about installing it here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Armour-Part-1. Decide which route you would rather go, removing the catalytic converter as he instructs, or removing the rear tire like I did.

Following all these instructions should end up with your air bag well protected from gravel bits damaging it.

Have fun, and good luck!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Did mine back in '16. Went the remove cat route. Worked fine. Just take your time!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-09-2022 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Caps & '.'s ;-)
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Some of my Iron Butt Rides (Pines to Palms, and others) actually require extensive gravel road sections so I did Doc Humphrey's Air Ryde Rock Armor on my '13 RTL, that coupled with Spyderpop's missing belt guard was all the insurance I needed for those long gravel sections, and i could ride those sections at speed as well.

Thanks IdahoMtnSpyder, I've already put the MBG on and will use your solution for the Air Ryde Rock Armor. By the way Doc Humphey's is well and innovating, though now over in the Facebook Electric Bikes forums. He even had some leftover product from his Spyder days.
    Last edited by DGoebel; 09-09-2022 at 08:30 PM.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First, I got the plastic belt guard, POC! Couldn't get it to fit w/o touching either the belt or the wheel. It came with double sided tape with which to attach it. Again, a POC. Finally I ordered the aluminum belt guard. Very sturdy well made and simple to install. It comes with three self-tapping metal screws and is predrilled for an easy installation. It's been on my ride for over 20k miles w/o any issues. By the way, you can have my unused flimsy plastic guard free of charge if you want.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    First, I got the plastic belt guard, POC! Couldn't get it to fit w/o touching either the belt or the wheel. It came with double sided tape with which to attach it. Again, a POC. Finally I ordered the aluminum belt guard. Very sturdy well made and simple to install. It comes with three self-tapping metal screws and is predrilled for an easy installation. It's been on my ride for over 20k miles w/o any issues. By the way, you can have my unused flimsy plastic guard free of charge if you want.
    Where did you get the aluminum belt guard from?
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rednaxs60 View Post
    Where did you get the aluminum belt guard from?
    Can't tell you Ernest it's a secret I guess. I searched and searched and had trouble locating this website. It's been a while and if I recall I got it through Inspector Gadget. But all Inspector Gadget web searches come up with the movie, not parts. But WALLA! I found it. This is as close as I could get. It's the first item on the list. https://www.spyderrt.info/u-do-it For $20, it's in the top ten of the 199 improvements that you could make for your spyder. Or should I say that BURP could have made for you? Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Can't tell you Ernest, it's a secret I guess. I searched and searched and had trouble locating this website. It's been a while and if I recall I got it through Inspector Gadget. But all Inspector Gadget web searches come up with the movie, not parts. But WALLA! I found it. This is as close as I could get. It's the first item on the list. https://www.spyderrt.info/u-do-it For $20, it's in the top ten of the 199 improvements that you could make for your Spyder. Or should I say that BURP could have made for you? Good luck.
    At the web page https://www.spyderrt.info/u-do-it it lists the belt guard for $20 for a purchase, but it also has a link to copy a pattern to a pdf file so that you can make your own. In order to get instruction as to install it scroll down a little further for "5. Print out and follow the installation instructions found on the Products Page. ". Click on the Product Page and it will take you to https://www.spyderrt.info/can-am-rt-products. Scroll way down to the bottom and look for Installation instructions included and Here. . Click on Here and a file will be downloaded to your computer. The file is of the type "pages" so you will have to convert it into a readable file such as a pdf. I used https://cloudconvert.com/
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-24-2023 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Fixed links ;-)

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    At the web page https://www.spyderrt.info/u-do-it it lists the belt guard for $20 for a purchase, but it also has a link to copy a pattern to a pdf file so that you can make your own. In order to get instruction as to install it scroll down a little further for "5. Print out and follow the installation instructions found on the Products Page. ". Click on the Product Page and it will take you to https://www.spyderrt.info/can-am-rt-products. Scroll way down to the bottom and look for Installation instructions included and Here. . Click on Here and a file will be downloaded to your computer. The file is of the type "pages" so you will have to convert it into a readable file such as a pdf. I used https://cloudconvert.com/
    Hey, seeweed good work. I was going to mention that simply bending a piece of aluminum 90 degrees, and cutting it out would be a simple job. But, $20 these days will hardly buy a round of drinks. So, I just cut it short and bought the premade guard. By the way, once properly installed, there isn't a 1/2" distance between the guard plate on either side, tire, or belt. A little hand adjustment cured that issue. Nothing rubs after that.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-24-2023 at 02:11 AM.

Spyder Garage

Unless I'm missing something, it say's cost of project $20.00 I read this to say that it can be made for $20.00

You can go here https://www.spyderrt.info/can-am-rt-products and scroll down to the bottom right and it is $55.00 + 10.00 shipping.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I agree <$20 to make it yourself or to purchase it is $55.00 + 10.00 shipping

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, it say's cost of project $20.00 I read this to say that it can be made for $20.00

You can go here https://www.spyderrt.info/can-am-rt-products and scroll down to the bottom right and it is $55.00 + 10.00 shipping.
    Fair enough, if you value the time you spend making it at $0 (or less than $30/$40 anyway! ) AND if you have the skills to do the job &/or nearby sources of the necessary materials.... .... And/or if you really want something cheap & easy to practice/develop skills on for a bigger/more worthwhile job, of course!

I'm all for Doing it Yourself if the circumstances/costs warrant it, but I try not to be silly about it & waste my valuable time &/or resources on doing things that I really couldn't do as well in the (short?) time I'll hafta wait for them & the (usually small!) $ outlay it takes to buy & get them delivered!!

ALWAYS consider your time as a valuable resource, and Work Smarter, not Harder!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-13-2022 at 06:36 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Right, I picked off the U-DO-IT section.

Spyder Garage

I dont really care how long it takes for my DIY. I enjoy it, cant really put a price or that.

But... For bits and stuff I do look at whats available and the cost. Then, well can I fab that up? Horses for courses I guess.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    I dont really care how long it takes for my DIY. I enjoy it, cant really put a price or that.

But... For bits and stuff I do look at whats available and the cost. Then, well can I fab that up? Horses for courses I guess.
    I agree, now that I'm retired time is not so important but staying busy is.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Just finished replacing air spring on my 2013 RT SE5. Used the rubber 4" end cap( wish there was a 3 !/2" would be perfect) Did the complete job with just removing both side panels and above plastic. Removed shock bolt, jacked up frame till wheel was off the floor, removed belt, level linkage, upper and lower bolts. Was able to work the bag down to get the sleeve pushed in and released hose from fittting. When rehooking hose, just use needle nose pliers and carefully push hose back into fitting.
    2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderJerry View Post
    Just finished replacing air spring on my 2013 RT SE5. Used the rubber 4" end cap( wish there was a 3 !/2" would be perfect) Did the complete job with just removing both side panels and above plastic. Removed shock bolt, jacked up frame till wheel was off the floor, removed belt, level linkage, upper and lower bolts. Was able to work the bag down to get the sleeve pushed in and released hose from fittting. When rehooking hose, just use needle nose pliers and carefully push hose back into fitting.
    I have done several caps under the air bag jobs...I always used the Fernco 3" caps...You just need to drill a hole in the center and get a little longer metric bolt...Fits VERY SNUG on the bag...larryd PS A 3" cap is about 3 1/2" ID...

Spyder Garage

I used 3 inch also.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I have done several caps under the air bag jobs...I always used the Fernco 3" caps...You just need to drill a hole in the center and get a little longer metric bolt...Fits VERY SNUG on the bag...larryd PS A 3" cap is about 3 1/2" ID...
    Unfortunately the #" is too tight and if you look at the bag fully inflated and under weight, it will be mushrooming out over a 3" cap. It may eventially wear through the bag where it contacts the top of the cap.
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Here's a picture of mine at rest with 65# of air in the bag and one with 220lbs of me on the seat. The fernco caps are cheap enough, if you're going to do this DIY get a 3" and a 4" and use the one you like best.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Based on my experience, which I posted in the OP, I recommend the 4" test cap. The bag fit snugly into in it. In fact it fills the 4" cap. I released most of the air before squishing it into the cap, and then filled and released it a couple of times to get it to seat nicely in the cap.

If you haven't already I strongly suggest you read how I did it and described here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Armour-Part-1

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)