Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Life

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery Life

Just curious.....what is the longest, in time, before you replaced your battery. The battery on my 2014 RTS-SE6 has been going strong since the Spyder was new. Every year when I know that it will be parked for longer than a couple of months, I’ve put it on a tender. Unless I’m on a trip, it’s parked in a non-heated garage every night. This year, I chickened out and bought a new OEM battery from BRP and replaced it. The original battery was still working fine, but I thought that after 6 years of faithful service, it deserved a rest. (and like I say, I chickened out).
    GOTTA LOVE YUASA.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 14RTS SE6 with and OEM battery and it is still going strong. Like you i keep it on a tender during cold months but not during warmer months. On start up it still reads 12+ volts. However, i do carry a small jump pack for myself or anyone else that may need it.

Spyder Garage

You did right, I replaced my first one after 5 years and last time after4 ½ years on my 2010

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery Life

Well the normal is about 5 years.
    That being said, the conditions that the battery is exposed to are a major factor. Hot (heat) is a Big Killer. Probably your local conditions are a big plus. The battery tender is a good thing too.
    ENJOY your Ryde time and Always Ryde Safe. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Mine died at about five years from take possession date. Bike was manufactured 3/14 but don't know age of battery at build out. Routinely used tender.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I am from the conservative school. If you all remember, I lived 20 years in Alaska. Two dealers in AK at first, then one, then none. Both dealers were in the area where I lived. The dealer I used the whole time I owned Spyders from 2008, on...was only five miles from where I lived.

Alaska being big, and no other dealers for 1000 plus miles...I did not want to experience a battery failure 100 miles or more from nowhere. When a battery does decide to go, it usually dies without warning. Enter Murphy's Law--If something bad can happen, it will.

I changed my batteries out every three years of operation...whether they needed it or not. I never got stuck by a dead or dying battery. We did 150K miles on our Spyders on Alaska roads with NO issues.

Now that I have moved to warmer climes, and can ride all year long, I am going to continue the three year replacement process, whether I need to or not. Conservative, conservative, conservative.

$150 for a battery, beats a $500 tow.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I am from the conservative school. If you all remember, I lived 20 years in Alaska. Two dealers in AK at first, then one, then none. Both dealers were in the area where I lived. The dealer I used the whole time I owned Spyders from 2008, on...was only five miles from where I lived.

Alaska being big, and no other dealers for 1000 plus miles...I did not want to experience a battery failure 100 miles or more from nowhere. When a battery does decide to go, it usually dies without warning. Enter Murphy's Law--If something bad can happen, it will.

I changed my batteries out every three years of operation...whether they needed it or not. I never got stuck by a dead or dying battery. We did 150K miles on our Spyders on Alaska roads with NO issues.

Now that I have moved to warmer climes, and can ride all year long, I am going to continue the three year replacement process, whether I need to or not. Conservative, conservative, conservative.

$150 for a battery, beats a $500 tow.
    I lived for 50 years, in Fort St. John which is milepost 50 on the Alaska Highway, and the majority of my M/C riding was done there. My 2014 RTS is my first 3 wheeler and I bought it here in Chilliwack. I, too, always changed my battery every 3 years max., and was never stranded. This is the first time ever that I've had the same M/C battery for 6 years, so I know where you're coming from. Like I previously posted, I "chickened out".

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As said before, I change all of my vehicle batteries every three years. I ride in west Texas and don't wish to have a battery failure in no where along with no cell service.....I consider my battery expense the same as I do insurance. Ya don't need it until you need it.....

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I consider myself conservative also. By treating my battery right and having the luck of BRP supplying a good battery (how'd that happen) i'm guessing I'm well on the backside of my battery's life cycle. Rather than buying a new one every 3 years i figure I've saved enough to pay for the tender and the jump pack. But, it's like betting on the come, sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. However i do keep a close eye on my amp gauge and keep an ear out on how many grunts my starter puts out before my 1330 fires up.

Spyder Garage

I went to a Lithium Ion battery. The battery tender brand, and I still carry my portable jumper and cables for the other bikes or trikes. But having the 480 CCAs this Battery Tender brand battery is giving me is incredible, and I swear it boosted my performance too. But 6 years is long enough, you are taking chances on a complete battery failure at that age, had one happen last year on a BMW cycle (old one) and its not fun....
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

My Yuasa bit me, 10 months being pampered and it left me on the side of the road with a failed cell. Always charged with a battery tender whenever parked. Garage kept. Luck of the draw I guess. Or I'm cursed. I usually have much better luck with Yuasa and AGM, but not this time. Prompted me to get one of those fancy jump packs. Would have made it home if I'd have one of those on board. Also found out that the Yausa only have a 6 month warrant when purchased and installed at Can Am dealers. Better off buying Deka brand (1 year warranty) or aftermarket Yuasa if they list 1 yea as the warranty.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

We got 8 years out of the original 2012 battery. Just changes ours last weekend.
    2023 Plasma Red F3 Limited
    2020 Ryker Rally.

Spyder Garage

my Yuasa tested "borderline"so i swapped it with a DEKA....needed to flatten the top clamp,but otherwise a good fit

plan to use the Yuasa in the trailer,to power the lights and cigar socket...much lighter than a car battery

russ
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    My Yuasa bit me, 10 months being pampered and it left me on the side of the road with a failed cell. Always charged with a battery tender whenever parked. Garage kept. Luck of the draw I guess. Or I'm cursed. I usually have much better luck with Yuasa and AGM, but not this time. Prompted me to get one of those fancy jump packs. Would have made it home if I'd have one of those on board. Also found out that the Yausa only have a 6 month warrant when purchased and installed at Can Am dealers. Better off buying Deka brand (1 year warranty) or aftermarket Yuasa if they list 1 yea as the warranty.
    ANY battery can can one or more cells fail ….. nothing is perfect …. I have been recommending getting a jumper pack for years … they don't cost much and can save your Butt in pinch …. imho folks trash perfectly good batteries long before their time … I just changed my OEM Yuasa at the end of the 19 riding season … 5 years isn't too bad ….. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ANY battery can can one or more cells fail ….. nothing is perfect …. I have been recommending getting a jumper pack for years … they don't cost much and can save your Butt in pinch …. imho folks trash perfectly good batteries long before their time … I just changed my OEM Yuasa at the end of the 19 riding season … 5 years isn't too bad ….. good luck …. Mike
    Mike, isn’t that more like 6 years? All of 2014 is one, and work that up to all of 2019 is a total of 6 years. That’s how I figure I’m replacing mine after 6 years. Either way though, 5 or 6 years just ain’t too shabby. and I agree, I also have a jumper pack, used only once, and that was on someone else’s ride.

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Spyder Garage

I just bought one of these...
    https://www.bigtimebattery.com/store...ger-combo.html with 2 yr warranty.
    And it comes with their battery charger/maintainer and instructions. Where else can you get that?
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I didn’t realize just how much of a difference a new battery could make. After the new one was installed, I noticed right away just how much better the bike started....how much faster the starter turned over, and then I put it in gear. My god....the take off was faster, the shifting seemed tighter, much more responsive, just a new bike. And this because of changing out a batter I thought was still alright. If you have any doubts, just do it.

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    I didn’t realize just how much of a difference a new battery could make. After the new one was installed, I noticed right away just how much better the bike started....how much faster the starter turned over, and then I put it in gear. My god....the take off was faster, the shifting seemed tighter, much more responsive, just a new bike. And this because of changing out a batter I thought was still alright. If you have any doubts, just do it.
    Hey Alf. Are you sure it wasn't somebody else's bike you jumped on and started it up and took off? If it was you better take back to them. Just kidding, just kidding. But you're right, bikers and their batteries can grow old together.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery Life

BK post is '(19 meaning the year 2019)'. So 2019 less 2014 = 5. So a five year battery life.
    Ryde Safe and Enjoy your Ryde Time......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Battery Life

Where did you purchase your battery from, I have a 2015 RTL with the original battery so I am thinking it is time for a new one.Thanks

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I say 3-4 years is a good life to get from your battery. I always plug my Spyder in after each ride. And it stays plugged in till I ride it the next time. I got 5 years out of my Royal Star battery and it was still going strong when I traded it in. My16 F3, 4 years, traded it in. Like Mike pointed out, I always carry a jump starter in the trunk. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Bought it from my dealer.

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    BK post is '(19 meaning the year 2019)'. So 2019 less 2014 = 5. So a five year battery life.
    Ryde Safe and Enjoy your Ryde Time......
    Actually, if the Spyder was produced and put on the sales lot I'm 2014 you have to count 2014 as well. Battery replaced in 2020 spring, so count all of 2019 as well, which totals 6 years. All of 14, all of 15, 16, 17, 18 and 19.

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Spyder Garage

I've gone 7 yrs with a Yuasa, tended during garage time. But it left me on the road then, so now I have readjusted my "replacement" time to 5 yrs max when properly tended. If not tended, go with the 3 yr. suggestion. My experience has been with "quality batteries" only, no off brands. My thoughts.........

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Juice View Post
    I've gone 7 yrs with a Yuasa, tended during garage time. But it left me on the road then, so now I have readjusted my "replacement" time to 5 yrs max when properly tended. If not tended, go with the 3 yr. suggestion. My experience has been with "quality batteries" only, no off brands. My thoughts.........
    I totally agree. All of my bikes have been Yuasa batteries. I've mostly ridden Honda's, and they all came with OEM Yuasa, and I've always replaced either 2 or 3 years, but at the time I was living in a much colder climate. Now I'm in a more moderate climate and this is the longest I've ever gone without changing. I'm going to plan on every 4 or 5 years.

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac