Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battery Life

Spyder Garage

This thread made me curious, and eager to learn. In my cars the batteries seem to last at least 10 years. In my daily driver I changed the original battery after 15 years in service (a cell totally gave up last summer). Sure, the batteries in my cars are kept fully charged due to the frequent usuage, but still, they are also kept outside in the usually quite cold Swedish winter. So I imagine they do not have an extremely easy life.
    Are the motorbike batteries different in internal construction or chemistry, that would explain why it seems like 3 years is a reasonable life expectency of them? Or is this just a recommendation to have a great margin and not be left at the side of the road?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Greven View Post
    In my cars the batteries seem to last at least 10 years. In my daily driver I changed the original battery after 15 years in service (a cell totally gave up last summer).
    I find that hard to believe! I've never had a car or pickup battery last more than about 5 years. My previous pickup battery totally crapped out in less than 2 years, while it was still in the free replacement warranty period from Costco.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle Battery Life

Well, the battery life is usually less than a car (driven daily) . Most cars are used daily and this helps keep your battery charged and ready to go.

Just saying that if you're one of those people who do daily runs on your Ryde. You will be the Lucky Ones that get longer Battery Life.

The General Battery Life depends on your area of the World. Temperatures, Time, Quality of the battery and Care of your Battery. An OEM Spyder battery can and will last longer than 3 years.

Ryde Safe and Enjoy the Spyder Forum.....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

The thing about off brand is that nowadays, which one is it? The longest I had any battery last was the OEM Kawasaki AGM with some weird name like SuperPower of something similar. On the other hand my "made in USA" Yuasa died in 10 months. One thing I know, don't get your batteries from the dealership as it will reduce the battery warranty down to 6 month (As was pointed out to me when I was griping about my battery dying prematurely), as shown in your normal warranty from Can Am.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.