Spyder Garage

Default Drop down rt side floor board

I have a 2014 RT. Noticed that the floor board on the right side can be dropped down when a lever is pulled just behind the lower plastic. What is this for?

I thought I had heard someplace that the floor board will drop is the brake pedal hits it when braking, but can't figure out how it works. I've pushed on the floor board and it won't drop unless the lever is pushed to allow it to drop.

What am I missing....

Spyder Garage

It's operated by you STOMPING on the brake pedal!! REALLY STOMPING!

The concept behind this design feature is that if someone stands on the brakes in an emergency & the ABS cuts in to avoid locking up a wheel, often their instinct is to press even harder.... but the foot plate can get in the way!

So BRP engineered a fix! Stand on the pedal hard enough and the foot plate will drop to let the pedal go even further.

Ps: it REALLY works too! But let's not go into how I know this! Oh, and don't try it out while you're rolling along a public road with traffic around you - your Spyder is lighter than just about everything around you, but its got almost the same contact patch & depending upon how good your tires are, not just a little more grip, but WAAAAY more grip AND Braking Power than just about any cage &/or bike on the road, and under full on emergency braking, there really isn't much that can out brake you.... maybe a few 'super cars' or high end performance machines, but not much else! And if you ever do need to brake hard, BRACE!! The first brake test I did on a track I shattered the face-plate on my helmet & damn near knocked out my front teeth on the top edge of the windshield.... and I really thought I was ready for it. I'd been doing similar tests on a range of top performance cars & bikes all day, before sneaking my Spyder RT onto the test track immediately before shutting down for the arvo 'just to see what it did' - and it out-braked EVERYTHING we'd seen that day & had all the techs absofreakinlutely astounded!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-18-2020 at 03:21 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I tried it on my RTL about a year ago, works good, dropped down, and I put in back up, a clicking sound to lock back in place
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

What they said.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frankf View Post
    ...What am I missing....
    Maybe page 14 of your operator's guide.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I took the trike rider course at Wing Ding 2015 in Billings, MT. One of the exercises was practicing panic stops. I was going somewhere around 20 to 30 mph when I stomped hard on the brake. Almost instantly I was wearing the windshield for a bib! The floor board went down also.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

It does work as advertised. Last October in Vermont the wife and I were cruising along at 60mph when an elderly woman in a cage pullout right in front of us from a side road and blew the stop sign without even looking. Wife got me in a death grip from behind and yelled OH F*** several times. I stomped the brake pedal harder than I ever have, the floorboard dropped, and I had even more braking, which saved our bacon. Of course the cager was totally oblivious to all of this. BRP may mess some things up, but IMHO, they got the brakes right.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

+1 Have stopped so hard both the wife and I were stood up by the decel, I hit my throat on the top edge of the windscreen and the lady driving the suburban in our lane realized her error But we didn't collide.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020