Spyder Garage

Default Sway Bars and Wheel Alignments

I don't like to be redundant. So, if you've heard this before, just ignore this post. But I get this question all of the time and thought a new post might help someone.

'Does changing the sway bar require a wheel alignment?'

The answer is universal for any sway bar system on any vehicle. And the answer is 'NO', the sway bar has absolutely no ability to change wheel alignment. The only affect a sway bar upgrade will have on alignment for a Spyder or Ryker is that because it reduces lean and dive in turns. And because wheel alignment changes as the suspension articulates from flat to lean angle. Your alignment will stay closer to ideal with a sway bar upgrade, but only in a turn. No sway bar, stock, aftermarket, whatever, has any affect on wheel alignment when running straight ahead. You could remove the sway bar altogether and your wheel alignment would not change.

So, why am I repeating myself? Because I have gotten 2 calls in the last few days from customers saying that their Can-Am Spyder dealership told them that if they had a sway bar upgrade installed, they would also need to have their wheels re-aligned. I could speculate as to why a professional, who should know better, would give this incorrect information to a customer. But that would do no one any good.

It is always important to know as much as possible when having something done to your Spyder. I hope no one out there is paying for work that is not necessary.

I need to add 1 caveat here regarding the Ryker models ONLY! Because the removal and installation of the BRP upgrade sway bar for the Ryker models involves disconnecting and removing steering components. If reassembly does not return all the steering components to their EXACTLY, original position. A wheel alignment may well be necessary. At least alignment should be checked after an install of the BRP factory upgrade bar on the Ryker to be sure everything was re-installed correctly. Some Ryker customers have experienced what happens when this is not done correctly. The good news is, as far as I can tell, problems of this type have been rare. (Added 02/19/2020) I should also mention, this potential alignment issue does not apply to the BajaRon sway bar kit. Installing this bar kit does not require loosening, removing or disturbing any steering components.

Have a Great Riding Season Everyone!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-19-2020 at 09:03 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Giving the mechanics the benefit of a doubt, I think there is some miscommunication going on.

While installing a sway bar does not effect the alignment, its usually one of the first modifications done to a new spyder. Most of which have not been properly aligned in the first place. When customers come to us for a sway bar on a new bike, we always recommend a laser alignment with it....or without it. But its not because of the sway bar.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Giving the mechanics the benefit of a doubt, I think there is some miscommunication going on.

While installing a sway bar does not effect the alignment, its usually one of the first modifications done to a new spyder. Most of which have not been properly aligned in the first place. When customers come to us for a sway bar on a new bike, we always recommend a laser alignment with it....or without it. But its not because of the sway bar.
    Good point. Had not looked at it this way. A laser alignment is always a good idea if it has not yet been done. As you say, whether or not a sway bar is being installed. But both of these customers had already had a laser alignment done. Maybe they didn't communicate that to the dealership. Thank you for posting this. Will help my communication skills as well!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I had no issues with the install on my RS-S and the handling differences are drastically notable. Plus my OEM Plastic Bar Ends were failing, and I still have them in a drawer somewhere, but they were definitely distorted.

The kit is easy to install and made huge gains in my twisting riding conditions. I live on the Tagabauche/Unaweep Biway (CO Hwy 141) so the upgrade is a must here. Thanks for the excellent product and follow up on your line.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black