Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default $200 for an oil change?

Does that sound right from a dealer? What happened to the $19.95 I paid for a car?
    Fred is a 2010 RT SM5 - Sold.

I am not a mechanic. When I have a tool in my hand, 911 needs to be on Standby.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iridenow View Post
    Does that sound right from a dealer? What happened to the $19.95 I paid for a car?
    Welcome to owning a Spyder. IMO your dealer is in the ball park @$200.00.
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

yep sounds ok even for adjustment for aus dollar for my end over here.bit cheap even

Spyder Garage

My oil change - when it comes to that time - will be done by Mr. DIY. Mainly because I have a phobia about others with tools and my stuff.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    My oil change - when it comes to that time - will be done by Mr. DIY. Mainly because I have a phobia about others with tools and my stuff.
    .... plus I trust what I do, rather than hope they do it right.... but that price is reasonable, you didn't say What Spyder you have /// … so the amount of tupperware that needs to be removed can make a difference ( time = labor cost ) …. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 rt ltd and have done 2 oil changes. The biggest problem is removing all the tupperware/plastic. Otherwise it's pretty simple.
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    If I wasn't afraid I would break something and turn a $200 job into a $2000 job while not injuring myself, I would do it.
    Fred is a 2010 RT SM5 - Sold.

I am not a mechanic. When I have a tool in my hand, 911 needs to be on Standby.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Change

Yes, the service on your Bike is always going to be a little pricey. DIY people can save money on labor costs. Some of the parts can become expensive. Welcome to 'Toys USA'. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The latest Shawn Smoaks Vlog oil change on the 2020 RTL looks rather complicated, maybe he will find short cuts later. looks like way more than a $200 job.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    The latest Shawn Smoaks Vlog oil change on the 2020 RTL looks rather complicated, maybe he will find short cuts later. looks like way more than a $200 job.
    Interesting. I watched the video and got the impression the bodywork to be removed was a medium sized panel, entirely held on with snap style clips. The panel even had a warning label about how to correctly remove. Once removed, the brake fluid rezzy was unclipped and positioned out of the way. That allowed access to the oil filter. Seemed pretty low stress.

If I saw one concern, and hopefully the Spyder is different, those clips seemed similar to how they hold interior parts on in cars, and with age the plastic tabs can snap off. Just mentioning, not saying it will happen.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iridenow View Post
    Seems about a going fair rate.

For comparison, even a DIY oil change will be about $50 or more. Yes there are penny squeezer here that get super deals on their oil of choice, even semi stockpiling it. But typically, say 6 qts of Mobil 1 motorcycle oil is around $60. A filter, O rings etc, easy to hit $75 in parts. BRP offers an oil change kit, pretty sure that is going for more than $50 also.

As I mentioned there are penny squeezers on here. They know all the deals. Typically they buy Shell Rotella T6 on sale and use a manufacturers coupon in addition to the sale price. Guessing they purchase BajaRon oil filter kits. Not sure on what they actually spend but guessing it is close to your $19.95 with them DIY.

Spyder Garage

Anywhere from $200-$300 is about where all the dealers are. Remember they do labor by the "book time" and parts are full retail. Hopefully it is all done by a Spyder certified tech.. Car oil change for $19.99? Done by a kid right off the street. Probably still reading comic books. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Based on your sig line, looks like you are stuck with the dealer price. I don't know what kind of Spyder you have, but on my 2011 RTS ,BRP came out with a panel modification that did away with most tupperware removal. Youtube can be your friend, but must have patience, especially with yourself.
    David
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

I’m ok with changing my own. I just take my time and am as careful as I can be when removing and installing the needed panels. I figure I have a lot more time than $$. Besides after the shock of doing it the first time the second time wasn’t as bad.
    2016 RT-Ltd
    Bajaron swaybar
    Spyderpops trunk light
    Elka stage 2 front shocks
    Extra longbrake pedal
    brake modulator
    Centramatic wheel balancers on the front and rear.
    Rivco dual flag holder
    Tricled mirror turn signal indicators
    with American and Texas flags
    Lamonster Magic Mirrors
    missing belt guard
    Lambskin seat cover from Smokey mountain sheepskin.com
    Tricled 360 degree led Headlights
    Lamonster led fog lights
    Baker air wings
    2019 Silverado Duramax dually
    2019 Cyclone 4007 toyhauler
    Spyderpops bumpskid w led light
    Rivco brand footrest
    spydermanexhaust.com exhaust
    had my exhaust installed @ Spyder in the hills.

Spyder Garage

$200 is what I pay for dealer oil change. They also check all fluids and do a BUDS check. Dealer has Spyder certified tech. They usually are fair priced on all of the repair/service work they do for me. I don't mind paying for dealer service, as I want them to be a viable business and continue selling and servicing CanAm products. The dealer I use also sells watercraft, snow machines and 4 wheelers. They are a full line CanAm dealer.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

When I was in Alaska, $350 was the oil change price. Labor rate $130 per hour.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pandy View Post
    Based on your sig line, looks like you are stuck with the dealer price. I don't know what kind of Spyder you have, but on my 2011 RTS ,BRP came out with a panel modification that did away with most tupperware removal. Youtube can be your friend, but must have patience, especially with yourself.
    David
    A few more details on this panel mod please.

TIA
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

My dealer prices range from $153-163 (plus tax) for an oil change (Change Engine Oil & Filter Only-Uses BRP Oil Change Kit).
    It's $170-210 for a 4600 mile service that includes (Replace Engine Oil & Filter, Inspect & Clean Oil Tank Strainer, Run Diagnostic Software & Provide Service Report, Inspect Throttle, Inspect Lighting System, Inspect Control Switches, Inspect & Adjust Drive Belt, Torque Front and Rear Wheel Nuts, Inspect Steering System, Lubricate Front Suspension Arms, Inspect & Adjust Parking Brake, Road Test).

Above prices are for 998 V-twins...slightly higher for the 1330's.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

If the OP is not mechanically inclined, he is at the mercy of the service dept., in more ways than one.
    An oil change on a 998 DIY is 50 or less. A 1330 can be done for 40 if planned carefully and bargains are sought and found.
    The OP is paying for someone else's intellectual and mechanical skills.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carbonation View Post
    If the OP is not mechanically inclined, he is at the mercy of the service dept., in more ways than one.
    An oil change on a 998 DIY is 50 or less. A 1330 can be done for 40 if planned carefully and bargains are sought and found.
    The OP is paying for someone else's intellectual and mechanical skills.
    I agree with you on the first and last parts of your statement, but...
    1 gallon of Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 is $23 at Amazon or WalMart...so figure about $35-40 for 6 quarts worth.
    Add about $15-20 for the oil filter, o-rings, etc. (edit: I see another thread where you posted some filters for about $5 +/-, so maybe your estimate isn't that far off!)
    A full kit with oil and filter and o-rings from Lamonster is $85-90, depending on 998 or 1330.

As PMK stated above, maybe if you're stockpiling when a sale is available, you can shave a few bucks here and there.
    Last edited by Raprider; 02-17-2020 at 01:10 PM. Reason: added comment re filter pricing
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I have always done my own oil changes and most all other work on all my vehicles. One of the reasons is that I will take the vehicle down the road and get the particulates in the oil stirred up so that more of them drain out when the plug is pulled. Not all the dealers will do that. Probably very few do it. I also have the option of using exactly the oil and the filters I want to use. It is not a price thing. It is more of a quality thing. Different brands do have different quality standards. Not so much with Spyder filters, but with automotive filters, even the same brand can have different quality ratings. I also do not trust anyone else to work on my vehicles. Too many stories about people being charged for oil changes that were never done, or leaving the old gasket on and the filter leaking, not tightening bolts and parts falling off or leaks. Not that all dealers would do sloppy work, but enough have that I trust myself more than I trust some mechanic I have never seen before and know nothing about. Just changed the oil in my truck and my tractor. After over 50 years working on vehicles it becomes routine and since I am now retired, I have plenty of time to do it right.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I do my own, but its almost 75 bucks for materials, so 200 isn't bad. I used to charge 119 for a Harley for primary and tranny changes, so its not too bad. I prefer Amsoil Synthetic in my machines, so I pay a tad higher for oil than most. And to explain the 20 dollar car oil change, the oil drop is much faster, the tech is either in a pit or has a lift, and no skins or panels have to be removed to do the work, you are in and out in 20 minutes, and that is if they are ****ing off.

On the other hand if you want FUEL filters changed on an older model GMC Diesel Pickup, on the model I used to own, the right fender and wheel well had to come off, yep, they had to pull the quarter clip to change the fuel filters...I let the shop do those.

And I am a mechanic on bikes.....
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

Amsoil full synthetic, Amsoil filter, labor, $90.00. Done at a shop that works on a lot of Spyders.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    I have always done my own oil changes and most all other work on all my vehicles. One of the reasons is that I will take the vehicle down the road and get the particulates in the oil stirred up so that more of them drain out when the plug is pulled. Not all the dealers will do that. Probably very few do it. I also have the option of using exactly the oil and the filters I want to use. It is not a price thing. It is more of a quality thing. Different brands do have different quality standards. Not so much with Spyder filters, but with automotive filters, even the same brand can have different quality ratings. I also do not trust anyone else to work on my vehicles. Too many stories about people being charged for oil changes that were never done, or leaving the old gasket on and the filter leaking, not tightening bolts and parts falling off or leaks. Not that all dealers would do sloppy work, but enough have that I trust myself more than I trust some mechanic I have never seen before and know nothing about. Just changed the oil in my truck and my tractor. After over 50 years working on vehicles it becomes routine and since I am now retired, I have plenty of time to do it right.
    On my Spyder if the engine is run & brought up to temp. the oil is warm and will flow fine …. driving it around will not make it flow better …… However enjoy the ride …… Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-17-2020 at 04:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    On my Spyder if the engine is run & brought up to temp. the oil is warm and well flow fine …. driving it around will not make it flow better …… However enjoy the ride …… Mike
    I don't ride it around to make it flow better. I ride it around to get all the particles that have settled out in various places inside the engine and transmission stirred up into the oil so that more of them will come out when the oil is drained.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver