Thread: Summer of 76'

Spyder Garage

Default Summer of 76'

I was too young (and forbidden) to ride at that time. But I remember these Japanese standard bikes. I did have a 93' Nighthawk, but the styling was not really vintage like this 1100. Also, 76' I remember Debbie Jensen, kind of hippyish with her long hair and cutoffs. The summer girl of 76'. I wish I still had the picture she let me take of her.

2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Now there's a great looking bike.
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Spyder Garage

I think we had similar experiences, except mine was in '66.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Great bikes. Most were called UJM's. Universal Japanese Motorcycles. 4 cylinders across the front, usually four separate exhaust pipes, and shaft drives. Those were the days.

Those were the style of bikes that got the "touring" bike craze started. 1967, Honda CB750 started it all. Add Vetter fairings, and bags, and you had the early GW style--before they came out.

The base bikes got bigger engines, and away it went. I had at least two bikes that I "Vettered" up. 78 KZ650 and 82 or so Suziki 850. Then...I went to an 83 Venture.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-17-2020 at 02:20 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

What a neat do-up of a retro bike! The designers must have had fun doing that. I appreciated the nice music in the background of that video.
    I was there too, "Vettering" an '80 Suzuki GS1000G and adding Samsonite triple cases. When Yamaha came out with the Venture in '83, I grabbed me on of those. Then a '92 cuz the wife retired and we were doing some serious touring and the larger cases were needed. I have no idea how many miles are under me, but my wife, as passenger, has @ 200,000.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

The year is memorable for me cause I got a case of the chickenpox, at age 15 no less! That July sucked......

Spyder Garage

A few years before the summer of 76.......... owned this 350 Honda when I was living in Taiwan in the early 1970s........ think I bought it about 1971, but it was used......... don't recall what model year it was. Had extended front end, custom made seats, reverse cone megaphones, ape hangers, custom tank, fenders, etc. Had it custom painted metal-flake blue. Picture is pretty old and faded. It was way too much bike for the road conditions in Taiwan. 60 klicks was the max highway speed there .........

Yes, I had a Chinese driver's license.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That is a beautiful basic bike that I would love to have to run errands on. But I have sworn off anything that is chain driven. My last chain driven bike was a ZZR1200 back in 2014. It will either have a shaft or belt drive for me to own it now.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    That is a beautiful basic bike that I would love to have to run errands on. But I have sworn off anything that is chain driven. My last chain driven bike was a ZZR1200 back in 2014. It will either have a shaft or belt drive for me to own it now.
    I am with you on that. Living on a dirt road and it rains a lot here too, chains and sprockets last about 8,000 miles max. My last chain drive was a Honda 400 back in about 76. It has been all belts or shaft drive since then. Never got less than 50,000 out of a belt.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    I think we had similar experiences, except mine was in '66.
    I was lucky I was too young to go to Vietnam. Just like my dad was my age during WW2 and missed all that fun.
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    What a neat do-up of a retro bike! The designers must have had fun doing that. I appreciated the nice music in the background of that video.
    I was there too, "Vettering" an '80 Suzuki GS1000G and adding Samsonite triple cases. When Yamaha came out with the Venture in '83, I grabbed me on of those. Then a '92 cuz the wife retired and we were doing some serious touring and the larger cases were needed. I have no idea how many miles are under me, but my wife, as passenger, has @ 200,000.
    I grabbed an 83 Venture also. It took my wife and I all through the western United States without so much as a hiccup and ran flawlessly for many years. It had almost all the features that my spyder has except for the shaft drive and one less wheel.

Spyder Garage

I had these. Sold the 400 Hawk and the CB 650 Custom three years ago. The Suzuki is still here. I found them in non-running condition and nursed them back to health. The Suzuki is my solo touring mount and I put more $$$ in it than I'll ever be able to get out of it so it stays. Old bikes are cool.

2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Navydad, I too had a 1980, CB650 four, Custom Honda. It was a great bike. It took me from the Canadian Maritimes to Texas and all of SE States. I sold it in 86 and it had 88,000 miles on it. It needed a 6 speed transmission instead of the 5 speed. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

This is an 81 and I totally agree that a sixth gear is needed. It is getting tough AND expensive to find parts for these older bikes.
    2015 RT , Black