Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4boywonder6 View Post
    another question on the Quatrac 5s ,is the air pressure still the same as OEM tires?
    Any AUTO tire will be strong enough for a PSI of 15 lbs...… at this psi the tire will give a more comfortable ride and not sacrificing anything in the handling area ….. your option …. Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-05-2020 at 12:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

thanks

Spyder Garage

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread... I'm trying to decide what size tire to put on the front of my 2017 RT.
    I'm going to try the Vrendestein Q5. Several people here have gone to 165/60... but I'm concerned with fender clearance.
    The OEM Kendas were 165/55. According to a chart I found online, 165/60's are .66 inch taller than 165/55. Will that much cause any clearance problems?
    I replaced the original Kenda's last year with 155/60 Kumho's which are only .18 inch taller than OEM (but of course not as wide). The 155/60's fit fine with plenty of clearance.
    So, what is the recommendation of those who have used different sizes? Would 165/60's be better than 155/60's? Would there be any clearance issues with 165/60's on the front of a 2017 RT?
    By the way, the Kumho's are wearing bad on the outside edges. I've been running 16-17 psi. and the front end is properly aligned (laser).
    Any ideas on what would cause the outsides to wear?
    Thanks,
    Greg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gjklockhart View Post
    Hope I'm not hijacking this thread... I'm trying to decide what size tire to put on the front of my 2017 RT.
    I'm going to try the Vrendestein Q5. Several people here have gone to 165/60... but I'm concerned with fender clearance.
    The OEM Kendas were 165/55. According to a chart I found online, 165/60's are .66 inch taller than 165/55. Will that much cause any clearance problems?
    I replaced the original Kenda's last year with 155/60 Kumho's which are only .18 inch taller than OEM (but of course not as wide). The 155/60's fit fine with plenty of clearance.
    So, what is the recommendation of those who have used different sizes? Would 165/60's be better than 155/60's? Would there be any clearance issues with 165/60's on the front of a 2017 RT?
    By the way, the Kumho's are wearing bad on the outside edges. I've been running 16-17 psi. and the front end is properly aligned (laser).
    Any ideas on what would cause the outsides to wear?
    Thanks,
    Greg
    #1. - many, many others here are using 165/60-15's on the front and have zero issues ...... #2.- 16-17 psi is great & not causing a WEAR issue .... a three year old spyder shouldn't have wear issues YET on suspension parts, ( but it is possible ) , so my thought is - whoever did the LAZER alignment didn't do it correctly. ....Lazer alignment is the much preferred way to align , however the person doing it MUST know how ...... good luck .....Mike

Spyder Garage

I had the same concern running 165/60/15 Vredestein 5's. Zero issues running this slightly taller tire but what an improvement it makes. Can't say enough about them, great tire that will awaken your Spyder.
    2022 RT , Marsella Red

Spyder Garage

I just put the Vredestein 5’s on my 2020 RTL this past week and am very happy with them. Big difference over the stock tires. Thanks Blueknight911 for the recommendation!

Spyder Garage

I went with the 175/55/15 Vredestein Quatrac 5. No clearance problems. Excellent tires.
    2013 RTS
    M2 Shocks
    Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55/15
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 175/55/15
    Viair 97
    2013 RTS , Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies... I'll go with the 165/60's
    Mike, what kind of alignment problem would cause both tires to wear on the outside edges?
    I have the Baja Ron shock adjusters and was wondering if the setting had anything to do with the tire wear. I found that the wheels lean out at the top slightly when the shocks adjusters are at their lowest setting (Right leans out .90 degree and Left .15 degree) I've been running the shock adjusters on setting #5 which makes the wheels lean out a little more (Right 1.85 degree and the Left .90 degree) (measurements are without any weight on the bike).
    Is that much positive camber normal and would it have anything to do with the tires wearing on the outside?
    Thanks,
    Greg

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies... I'll go with the 165/60's
    Mike, what kind of alignment problem would cause both tires to wear on the outside edges?
    I have the Baja Ron shock adjusters and was wondering if the setting had anything to do with the tire wear. I found that the wheels lean out at the top slightly when the shocks adjusters are at their lowest setting (Right leans out .90 degree and Left .15 degree) I've been running the shock adjusters on setting #5 which makes the wheels lean out a little more (Right 1.85 degree and the Left .90 degree) (measurements are without any weight on the bike).
    Is that much positive camber normal and would it have anything to do with the tires wearing on the outside?
    Thanks,
    Greg
    #1.- there is NO camber adjustment, BRP used a compromise setting .... and it's built into the system ..... I would ask " Spyderann01 " to explain wear and what causes it on which part of the tire..... from what I know if you change the height of the front end it will effect the alignment , however I don't think the height range available with the adjusters is enough to cause an alignment issue ..... In the past I've have had work done by " EXPERTS " .... that actually screwed things up worse......Mike

Spyder Garage

Here's the 14" front tire for those with the "older" Spyders.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...earDiameter=15
    2012 RT A&C SE5
    2015 Victory Cross Country (Dyno tuned 118hp 116tq)
    2006 Triumph Rocket Dyno tuned 140hp 154tq)

Spyder Garage

Does anyone have a good tire website for us up north here in Canada ?
    30 years Over the road truck driver. Now the better half wants to do all the provinces on the Spyder. Maybe when it grows up to a Newer one.
    Copied from a post in Mean People.
    When told "that ain't a motorcycle," I reply, "You're right - it's actually a snowmobile and I ordered the optional tires so I can ride it year round." Shuts 'em up every time!

2012 RSS-SE5
    Avon HD Grips.
    K&N oil transmission and Air filters
    Ultimate Seat With both backrests .Black with Ostrich Red Stripe
    2012 RS S SE5 , Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone.
    Mike, you are correct... there is no camber adjustment... just wondering if there was a spec. camber measurement from the factory. And there seems to be a little difference between my left and right sides (assuming my garage floor is level)... wondering if that is common.
    Also, from what I can see, raising the height (with the shock adjusters) does change the camber a little... but probably not enough to cause any problems.
    Also wondering what mis-alignment condition would cause both tires to wear on the outsides... both toed in... both toed out... one in and one out?

Spyderann01, would you have any ideas?

I've ordered a set of Vredesteins and would like to not have them wear out prematurely too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vindex1963 View Post
    Here's the 14" front tire for those with the "older" Spyders.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...earDiameter=15
    I hope everyone interested rereads the performance numbers .... the Q-5 is very very impressive .... and they have a nice choice in 14" sizes .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone.
    Mike, you are correct... there is no camber adjustment... just wondering if there was a spec. camber measurement from the factory. And there seems to be a little difference between my left and right sides (assuming my garage floor is level)... wondering if that is common.
    Also, from what I can see, raising the height (with the shock adjusters) does change the camber a little... but probably not enough to cause any problems.
    Also wondering what mis-alignment condition would cause both tires to wear on the outsides... both toed in... both toed out... one in and one out?

Spyderann01, would you have any ideas?

I've ordered a set of Vredesteins and would like to not have them wear out prematurely too.
    if at all possible get the alignment figuered out ..... PM Her with your question ..... I think ONLY a ground clearance change will effect the alignment ..........Also note your Ground Clearance is actually changing constantly so the range of possible change has already been DIALED in as it comes from BRP ..............hope this helps ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike,
    I tried to look her up in the member list but didn't see her. Hoping she runs across this.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Message to Hammer

I bought my Vredestein Quatrac 5 on the internet from Quattro Tires. Sorry don’t remember the URL for them....just use google and they should come up. I’m not 100% but I think they are in Quebec. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by bigbadbrucie; 05-27-2020 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Meant to show who i’m replying to.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Thanks bigbadbrucie

Found the link. For our Canadian Tire supplier. Quattro Tires

https://www.quattrotires.com
    30 years Over the road truck driver. Now the better half wants to do all the provinces on the Spyder. Maybe when it grows up to a Newer one.
    When told "that ain't a motorcycle," I reply, "You're right - it's actually a snowmobile and I ordered the optional tires so I can ride it year round." Shuts 'em up every time!

2012 RSS-SE5
    Avon HD Grips.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike,
    I tried to look her up in the member list but didn't see her. Hoping she runs across this.
    Look under " S " She's on page 50 in the middle ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

The car that I own also runs with Quatrac 5 tires, its price is not high, but it provides excellent handling in dry and wet conditions. You should try that tire.
    Perhaps this will help you with more information https://tiredeets.com/vredestein-quatrac-5-review/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Davisjason View Post
    The car that I own also runs with Quatrac 5 tires, its price is not high, but it provides excellent handling in dry and wet conditions. You should try that tire.
    Perhaps this will help you with more information https://tiredeets.com/vredestein-quatrac-5-review/
    This exactly why I started recommending them about 6 mos. ago ...... IMO the best tires made for any Spyder, especially if you ride during cooler / cold temps ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

ARE the quatrac 5 a non dericinal tire?
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ssmcclub View Post
    ARE the quatrac 5 a non dericinal tire?
    Maybe ..... but why is it important to you ???? .... If your thinking - well then I can rotate them easier ..... Which isn't really beneficial unless ... #1.- you do it for free and #2. - you do it every thousand or less miles.... once a serious wear pattern forms, the damage is done and can't be reversed or corrected ..... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Well ordered my 2 front tires
    Vredestein QUATRAC 5 From https://www.quattrotires.com
    Here in Canada. 7 to 10 days free shipping
    I like That.

2012 RSS-SE5
    Avon HD Grips.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Well ordered my 2 front tires
    Vredestein QUATRAC 5 From https://www.quattrotires.com
    Here in Canada. 7 to 10 days free shipping
    I like That.
    I hope you bought the " V " rated tire it was quite a bit less .... even tho it has a higher speed rating ............. Mike

Spyder Garage

FWIW, my local tire store suggested the Hankook Ventus V4 ES in 175/55R15. I run 18PSI on the fronts and it made a world of difference compared to the "twitchy" Kendas. I'm really happy with the Hankooks.