Spyder Garage

Default ST panel removal to change plugs & injectors

Our 2013 ST has a dead miss. The rear plug has been changed. But, it started this after sitting and I beleive ether the front plug is dead or I have a bad injector.
    What I need is some advice on which panels to pull to access the top of the engine. If someone has a video link it would be awesome.
    2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
    2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SM
    2014 Honda Grom

Spyder Garage

Not a fun task, Mr. Truckracer.
    I would strongly suggest obtaining a copy of the Shop Manual for this procedure.
    Took me about 6 hours to R&R the forward plug and wire. (the aft is a piece of cake). Big hands do not help.
    There is more to it than what I have here in the photo, this one was taken when I was re-assembling.
    Also strongly suggest you contact BajaRon for his plugs and wires. You do not want to do this more than necessary.

Slide1.jpg
    2015 STS SE5 * Bajaron sway bar and end links * M2 Shocks
    * PPA Wheels * Centramatic balancers
    *HMF Exhaust * CalSci Windshield
    2015 STS , Bajaron Black/White/Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by truckracer View Post
    Our 2013 ST has a dead miss. The rear plug has been changed. But, it started this after sitting and I beleive ether the front plug is dead or I have a bad injector.
    What I need is some advice on which panels to pull to access the top of the engine. If someone has a video link it would be awesome.
    Spark Plug ???? …. imho from everything I've read about BRP's plug wires ( in the past 8 yrs.) that the more likely issue is the wires, they have had a high Early failure rate...… good luck … Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, the plug wires are crap and as you pull the cap off you most likely damage the wires. When I replaced mine I also replaced the wires. I got them from BajaRon and the slight radio interference went away as well.

CDD95134-3559-42B0-A971-C991EB68452F.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tips - looks like I need to get some plug wires headed this way before I tear this thing down.
    2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
    2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SM
    2014 Honda Grom

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by truckracer View Post
    Thanks for the tips - looks like I need to get some plug wires headed this way before I tear this thing down.
    I highly doubt you have an injector issue. When your SM5 or SE5 Spyder has a miss-fire issue. It is almost always the spark plug wires going bad. When you manipulate the wires during the spark plug service. You do a great deal of additional damage to the already failing wires. Unfortunately, they are a very poor quality product.

Many have replaced spark plugs, only to have their Spyder run much worse when the job is done. I discovered this many years ago when I had a miss and changed spark plugs in my 2008. I decided to fabricate a set of very high quality wires instead of buying another set of OEM. With current spark plug wire technology. You can get a great deal more energy delivered to the spark plug with improved electromagnetic noise reduction and longevity for about the same price as the OEM wire set. You can email me at fyredad@hotmail.com or call me at 423-552-3720 if you have questions.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...