Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Just bought my 1st Can Am......have questions

Afternoon, all.

I've been a 2 wheeled rider for 40 years. As I get older, I feel less confident on 2 wheels and just bought a new (never titled) 2018 RT Limited. I test rode it and I NEED one of those "tall boy" seats. With the stock seat, I sit way too far forward and can't properly hit the brake. (I have to lift my entire foot up to get to it. Seems unsafe.)

I have a couple things I'll order today but the lead time on the 1 or 2 "tall boy" seats is 4-6 weeks so I'd like to get a jump on ordering 1. (I ride year round.) What is recommended? The only brand I recall is Ultimate. It's pricey but I guess anything Can Am ain't cheap.

Thanks for the help. I'll introduce myself later this evening.

Christopher "MONK" Gray

Spyder Garage

and

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Congrats on the new ride. I'm short and round, so the tallboy seat ins't on my list. But, I did read somewhere the BRP Comfort Seat is for taller folks, and while it probably isn't as good as the Ultimate seat it's also probably somewhat cheaper. You may also find one on the for sale part of the forum.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    Congrats on the new ride. I'm short and round, so the tallboy seat ins't on my list. But, I did read somewhere the BRP Comfort Seat is for taller folks, and while it probably isn't as good as the Ultimate seat it's also probably somewhat cheaper. You may also find one on the for sale part of the forum.
    Thanks. It feels funny riding/driving the Can Am compared to my Nomad (or any of the other 2 wheels contraptions I've ridden over the years) but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I'm tall and round. I get the "round" part. It looks like the OEM Comfort Seat is about $100 cheaper than the Ultimate but I won't buy that unless it's confirmed to move me back about 2" like the Ultimate. I looked in the sale section (back to about October of last year). Nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    and
    Thank you!

Spyder Garage

Ultimate or possibly Corbin will have seats for you. IMHO. Stay away from Corbin as their customer service is non existent! Both have shops here in Daytona and you can put on a seat and go for a ride. if you come down. Let me know and I will meet up with you. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Lamonster has a brake pedal extension and I can just slide my boot over to it or just slam on the stock one, I'm 6'-6" 275#s. Also you can buy Air Hawk Seat Cushions that'll raise you up a little. Lamonster also sells Highway peg extensions so you can stretch out. Just be sure to keep them tight. Have fun riding and tricking out your new ride, and welcome to Spyder Country.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Have you tried moving the pegs and brake pedal? Dealer should have at least showed you that the pegs and pedals move to adjust for different leg lengths. Mine was hard to get my foot on the brake until I moved the pegs and brake pedal all the way forward. Foot finds the brake naturally now. Still using the stock seat. Brake rods are much cheaper than custom seats.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Have you tried moving the pegs and brake pedal? Dealer should have at least showed you that the pegs and pedals move to adjust for different leg lengths...
    Brake pedal is not adjustable on RT Ltd; F3, yes.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Ultimate seat is pricey but worth every penny. We had one on our 2014 RTS and it made all the difference in the world as far
    as comfort and all day riding. Money well spent!

Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

I have the comfort seat on my RT. It does move you back about 50mm (2" in old money). At first I was slightly disappointed it didn't feel much adjustment but now when I ride a normal seat it feels seriously close and cramped. It does very much increase your reach to the bars though so if your arms are short you could find that an issue. I'm not round so I do sit right back in the seat. If you're tubby your arms will be closer to the bars.

However, it won't help with the lifting of your right foot, you'll still need to do that. After a while it becomes second nature and not an issue. If you come from a bike like the Goldwing where the pedal is right at your toe, it does initially feel awkward.

Get the seat and give it a little time and all will be well.

Oh aye, forgot to say, the comfort seat also comes in a heated version, essential for me, depends where you ride I guess.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRosePetal View Post
    I have the comfort seat on my RT. It does move you back about 50mm (2" in old money). At first I was slightly disappointed it didn't feel much adjustment but now when I ride a normal seat it feels seriously close and cramped. It does very much increase your reach to the bars though so if your arms are short you could find that an issue. I'm not round so I do sit right back in the seat. If you're tubby your arms will be closer to the bars.

However, it won't help with the lifting of your right foot, you'll still need to do that. After a while it becomes second nature and not an issue. If you come from a bike like the Goldwing where the pedal is right at your toe, it does initially feel awkward.

Get the seat and give it a little time and all will be well.

Oh aye, forgot to say, the comfort seat also comes in a heated version, essential for me, depends where you ride I guess.
    I'm tubby. My fat arse pushes me forward which is why I need a seat that I can scoot back on.

What backrests work on the Comfort Seat? Just the $500 BRP backrest?

I don't need seat heat in my part of the world. Heated grips are good.

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

my wife has a ultimate tall boy with fuel door gray in color if interested im sure she would sell

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On the new Spyder RTL Monk, glad you found something you liked!! Make sure and post a photo of your new ride in the Spyder Garage area of the forum so we can all have a look.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    my wife has a ultimate tall boy with fuel door gray in color if interested im sure she would sell
    Sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    On the new Spyder RTL Monk, glad you found something you liked!! Make sure and post a photo of your new ride in the Spyder Garage area of the forum so we can all have a look.
    Thanks and I'll post a pic once I get done riding. (Could be a while. )

Spyder Garage

On our last 2 Goldwing trikes we have had Diamond Custom Seats, so when Gloria wanted something that fit better we went for one again. They are made to the customer's measurements and the foam they use is custom poured to the rider & passenger weight. The front portion was made 2" back, and the passenger perch was raised 1.5" so Gloria can more easily see over and around my helmet when she is riding pillion. Custom seat makers like Diamond, Hartco, Russel Day-Long, etc. and such make seats to your weight and measurements. Some like Diamond make their own seat pan, others use the stock pan from your ride.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I felt the same when I got mine. It really helped to ge a backrest (I could lean back a bit) but I think you will always have to lift your leg a bit to hit the brake, it's something you get used to. There are brake extensions you can get very cheap if that might help you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post
    I felt the same when I got mine. It really helped to ge a backrest (I could lean back a bit) but I think you will always have to lift your leg a bit to hit the brake, it's something you get used to. There are brake extensions you can get very cheap if that might help you.
    I'm and old cruiser foot brake stomper, got used to it many moons ago. I will say this about switching from a Nomad to the Spyder RT. It takes time to learn the idiosyncrasies of these machines, so be patient. I didn't like the long foot pedal as it was, it took up the whole front portion of the floorboard. So I did this; https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ke-Pedal-Fixed
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

I was able to find a used Comfort seat on the For sale section for $200.00 as I needed more room as you do. The Comfort Seat has 2 more inches of room and it made a big difference.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nothing on there right now but that doesn't mean something won't show up. I'm hoping to meet another Spyder rider this weekend so I can check out his Comfort Seat to see if it's what I'm looking for. He said he might be able to bring along a friend with a non-Tall Boy Ultimate seat so I can see how that feels. Nice to meet another Spyder rider for no reason, too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    Tell me more

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i was wrong it is not a tall boy