Spyder Garage

Default Lake Michigan Circle Info/Experience?

Hi All,

I am in the Chicago area and in the process of planning a Lake Michigan circle ride for early summer. Info overload online. So much information.

Has anyone made the ride and have a good route they are willing to share? Good stops/sights along the way?

I am not planning a speed run. I am thinking 4 days to provide time for stops and activities. Sound right?

Any information/insights are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Started the trip a couple of years ago from central Indiana. Camped at Manistee on the first night after a long day of riding and hugging the coast most of the way. Also, we did it in the middle of July and Michigan was extraordinarily warm that summer. My sun got heat exhaustion the second day near Petoskey and we had to stop for him to rest. While he recovered in the motel room, the rest of us rode the tunnel of trees and across the Mackinaw bridge and then back to Petoskey. Stayed the night and headed back to Indiana disappointed that we could not complete the trip. We planned on camping in the UP on the second night and near Milwaukee on the third, before heading back to Indiana. If we do it again, I would spend an extra night due to the distance from central Indiana to our meet up point in Highland, Indiana. But, from Chicago, four days might be right. You may not have much time for activities though depending on your route. The closer to the coast, the slower the trip, but the sights and pace are much better than using the interstate or 4-lane state highways. Like you said, lots of information online. Just pick a route and be flexible as you go. Good luck!

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I’ve been around Lake Michigan a few times. My interests and tendency to wander at hearts content, 4 days isn't enough, but if, say your goal is to just ryde around the Lake to say you’ve done it, that’s plenty of time.
    There is an official Lake Michigan Tour that you could use as a base route. It pretty much hugs the shoreline. In planning the trip, use Google or another mapping program to scout roads, watching for sights that interest you. There are tons of lighthouses, state parks, Sleeping Bear Dunes, Tunnel of Trees, wine country in northern, lower MI, Mackinaw Island, beaches, and on and on.
    Use Google or some other mapping platform, zoom in and look at what interests you, pick a route, and be willing to wander off the route if you find or see something the perks your interest. As you travel along, take the opportunity to talk to local folks about details in that particular area. Most often, they love to give advise on known and less known travel treasures. You’ll have to pick and choose what to include or you’ll never get back home.
    Enjoy the adventure!
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

Did this trip solo 20 years ago AWESOME! In 4 days..I left suburbs of Chicago(Bartlett) went up thru WI 1st night stayed in Manitowauk? Drove I think RT 2 thru the UP of MI ( be sure to get a Pasty Delicious!! Over Bridge tunnel of trees and stayed in petosky 2nd night..Third day on to the Leelanau Finger and stayed at my Xmas tree farm overnight in Cedar MI..Drove home 4th day.Beautiful Ride Enjoy..Lots to see!!!

Spyder Garage

A buddy and I did the Lake Michigan Tour route on our bikes a few years back. Quite honestly, I was a bit disappointed. The lake/shore was out of view far more often than it was in site. YMMV..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have done lake michigan once and lake superior both ways enjoyed both lakes very much

Spyder Garage

A buddy and I did this trip last summer. We did an eight day trip from Kansas City through Iowa, along the Mississippi then through Wisconsin and Michigan. For your four days I would suggest the main tourist stuff. Pictured Rocks in Munising, Mackinac Island and the Tunnel of Trees. Summer is high tourist season so expect pricey hotels. I really liked Houghton, MI., if you had an extra day. There is a Super 8 motel that sits right on the canal with picnic benches off the docks right behind the hotel. It is a short walk to a renewed old town type of area that has restaurants and craft breweries.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sentinel, a suggestion if you haven't already done so. Open up Google maps and do a search for something you're interested in, like museum near xxxx. Google will pin many such places on the map. Select the ones that interest you and get more info. You can do this for all sorts of points of interest and will give you info you can use to plan your trip.

Wondering what a particular road might offer scenery-wise? Click on Street View and then travel along the road of interest. If the Street View scenery is boring, look at a different route. I've done this several times and it gave me a good idea of what to expect riding a particular road. Preview the real trip with a virtual trip!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for the great suggestions and advice. I am open to extending the trip to more than 4 days. I figured 4 days as I am seeing mileage estimates at apx 1100 miles, thinking 250 - 300 a day would allow time for sights and relaxing evenings.

IdahoMtnSpyder, great suggestion, I think it would be much easier to plan based on places we want to stop, versus planning the route then looking for things to do.

WilPir, thanks for the stop suggestions.

Still planning, anyone with suggestions on scenic routes, sights, and great food along the way?

Thanks again everyone!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for asking the question. I will be. Going past that way and some good ideas have been presented.
    2020 Limited , Petrol Metallic