Spyder Garage

Default Handle Bar Riser

I've been doing some reading on handle bar risers . I don't have anytime on my o9 , but i was seeing what others were doing . The risers are very expensive . I was looking at a set of Fly Racing Handle Bar Risers for a snowmobile . They come in 3,4,5,6 and 7 inch . They fit 7/8's and 1 1/8 handle bars . Made of aluminum . The price was $60 Canadian .
    I guess my question is , do you think something like this would work on the older Spyders ? Thanks... Gilly
    2009 Roadster SM5 , Silver and Black

Spyder Garage

I put handle bar risers on my GS/08 and my RS/09. BRP actually had 1 1/2 inchers as a catalog accessory item. They were to short and did not do much to help with the to low issue.

My dealer, at the time, made some for his units and I got to beta test one set. They were three inches high. They worked well for my needs. I purchased a second set for the 09.

Fast forward 11 years. I would recommend starting with at least 3 inches. The price of $60 is very good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    I've been doing some reading on handle bar risers . I don't have anytime on my o9 , but i was seeing what others were doing . The risers are very expensive . I was looking at a set of Fly Racing Handle Bar Risers for a snowmobile . They come in 3,4,5,6 and 7 inch . They fit 7/8's and 1 1/8 handle bars . Made of aluminum . The price was $60 Canadian .
    I guess my question is , do you think something like this would work on the older Spyders ? Thanks... Gilly
    Waaaaaaaaaaaay back in 09, before " risers " were marketed for Spyders ( I had a GS ) I bought some sno-mobile risers from Dennis Kirk …. they were made by " RSI ", ( I think they still are )…… I got 3 or 4 in. ones in solid alumin. ….worked perfectly …. there is a very old video that was done ( by another member " Holly " ) about my GS and the many MODS I had done ….. Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-15-2020 at 11:49 AM.

Spyder Garage

I still have my '08 GS, first thing I did was put on risers. The ones I bought were the 4 " ones off eBay. They were for dirt bikes. Do a search on eBay for 4 " dog bone risers. I think I spent all of $30 for them. And I'm still using them. Best thing I ever put on the bike.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Hey .. thanks guys .. i thought someone had to have tried this . Now that i know they will work ... their is many to choose from. So i take it the bar is 7/8's . I can order a set from work . I work at a Marina and we work on sleds in the winter . a nice set of aluminum ones all polished up . Thanks again , something else for me to do while i'm waiting for the snow to melt .

Spyder Garage

The 7/8 in are the ones that will work. You will have to remove the plastic around the nose section and cut tie wraps holding the clutch hose and wiring.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Arm View Post
    The 7/8 in are the ones that will work. You will have to remove the plastic around the nose section and cut tie wraps holding the brake hose and wiring.
    If you have a Manual trans, there may be some clearance issues with the reservoir housing …. I did on my GS, but I had a 4 1/2 in. angle grinder and was able to easily trim the left riser...… good luck …. Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-16-2020 at 01:02 AM.

Spyder Garage

So once you start , their's no going back . Is that right . Their is anyway to put a new 7/8's bar back ?

Spyder Garage

Ok guys , i see that the handlebar's can be replaced on the 09's . Wasn't sure how the bars were mounted . Canampartshouse.com shows the break down . $81 bucks if i do mess up . Thanks guys And sorry , mine is a 2009/ SE5.

Spyder Garage

I got a kit at a garage sale of all places, its the RIVCO set, in the box, un-opened, only the shipping box was opened, if the kit is not completet, he will give me my money back....50 bucks.....I got lucky for a RIVCO kit.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

Hello, Bought a 2012 RSS last October and love it. But I would like to have the handle bars back a little further. I read about the type that cuts the hand grips off and then install a riser and new hand grips. Very adjustable but is it necessary?
    Is this the best?
    What about the center riser with 3 bolt holes to give some height?

thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bikes111 View Post
    Hello, Bought a 2012 RSS last October and love it. But I would like to have the handle bars back a little further. I read about the type that cuts the hand grips off and then install a riser and new hand grips. Very adjustable but is it necessary?
    Is this the best?
    What about the center riser with 3 bolt holes to give some height?

thanks
    I have the center riser on my '11 and am going to remove it and get the Rivco risers. My wife has them on hers and the difference is HUGE!