Before I begin this commentary, let me explain that I have always been a committed devotee of the F3L Spyder; I bought a 2017 version, mostly because my aged hips could not tolerate the sitting position of previous years’ RTL models.

On this heavily overcast morning, with my lady’s shopping errands duly completed, I found myself with an hour to spare, and decided to swing by the local Spyder dealer (Seminole Power Sports, 15821 Hwy. 441, Eustis, FL) for a look at the new models. I was keen to see the latest version of the RTL, especially after reading the glowing comments of other SL members who have recently done trade-ins and ridden away quite pleased. After reading BRP literature on how stylistic elements of the F3 had been incorporated into the RT platform, I wanted to sit on one, look at the new colors, check out the features, etc. Yes, I was curious, even though not considering buying one. So, FWIW, here’s my take: an honest assessment from a previously rather biased F3 ryder.

First off, my troublesome hips found the 2020 RTL sitting position quite acceptable. The saddle itself was soft and comfortable, far from the feeling I got from earlier BRP stock seats. I know I’m not the only Spyder owner who was literally ‘forced’ into going with an F3 bike because our hips/butts couldn’t stand to be in/on an RTL seat. The 2020 RTL now places one’s legs comfortably slightly forward, and those gloriously long new floor boards now provide for ample room to stretch and vary leg position. The brake pedal is in an easily accessible position, and is placed at a much more reasonable height, not requiring lowering or other modification. The reach to the handle bars felt pretty good, too, although I did have some instinctive thoughts that I, personally, might want to try tweaking them slightly.

I liked the new colors, too. Lovely grey and a striking blue. Loved the improved hinges on the spacious, new, rear top case – a vast improvement over the flimsy structure of the F3 top case. Removeable, too, and even a bit deeper! Layout of the controls and switches was both familiar as well as easily operated. No difficulty seeing the flashing of the turn signals. Delighted by the electronically adjustable windshield; has a memory feature and automatically lowers when switched off. Gadgets galore! So much for my instantaneous reactions gleaned from sitting on a static machine in the showroom.

There must have been a tell-tale grin on my face, as I was soon approached by a most friendly gentleman, asking if I had any questions. He seemed to know I was liking this thing. No doubt he would be looking to write up a sales contract. Not really looking to spend, I quickly advised him I was just a vacationing Canadian, curious to look, but not about to buy. “No problem”, he said, “but you really should take a test drive. Seriously.”

Wow; friendly attitude plus!!! Turned out he was the GM. His personality was obviously infectious; all his staff treated me exactly the same – smiling, courteous, very helpful. They all insisted I should put some miles on a demo machine; Ken Ward said it actually was a bonus for the dealership, in the eyes of BRP, to rack up potential customer miles on their demos. So, off I went, complete with a courtesy helmet after signing a waiver and showing my mc license.

The ryde was most impressive. The RTL was new, and tight, as one would expect. Yet the steering was effortless and the shifting was positively smooth; the engine maybe even a tad quieter. The ryde itself was far better than any previous RT I had been on (I honestly did make a couple of 30-minute attempts in past). Not quite as nimble or sporty as my F3L, but certainly a fun ryde and a pleasure to handle. I didn’t do an overly long trip, but certainly enough to become pretty well acquainted. I would describe this as: “what you might expect if you crossed an F3 with a 2014-19 RT”; i.e., somewhere in between.

I know from following SL ‘Forum’ threads for the past 3 years, that many of us have had our pet peeves and various dissatisfactions with our Spyders – stock seat comfort, too high brake pedals, steering reach or feel, etc. And, many have also wondered whether anyone at BRP ever ‘heard’ or ‘listened to’ our comments. After ryding the new 2020 RTL, I came away with the distinct feeling that those unseen BRP engineers perhaps had been ‘hearing us’ after all. It seemed to me that many of those oft-expressed issues have actually been dealt with in a very positive manner with the introduction of the new version RTL. And, it seems, more than a few other SL members have recently jumped at the opportunity to buy one. I rather think that BRP has come up with a very solid winner here.

I haven’t bought one (yet?), didn’t even go looking to purchase. And, I’m not getting paid to write this, but I kind of feel that I may have fallen in love all over again. Well, after all, it is Valentine’s Day!! I have even been invited to come back with my lady and take her out for a test drive. You, too, can have one, if you’re nearby.

The BRP travelling display team will be hosting a 4-day ‘VIP experience’ at Seminole Powersports in Eustis, FL, from Wed. 19 Feb. to Sat. 22 Feb. You can reserve a test ryde by calling 352-357-1607. Look for Ken, Brandon, Jace and the rest of the Seminole gang – all helpful, immensely polite and willing to make you happy. You know, we often hear horror stories of dealers who don’t seem to care, or disappoint; the good ones, like this, deserve our praise and support!!! That’s why I have written this. And while I’m still having loads of fun on my current F3L, I think I know what the future may have in store for me. Go and find out for yourself.

Cheers.