Spyder Garage

Default Progressive Insurance Non- Renewal Notice

Just a heads up to fellow motorcyclists in New York just got a "non-renewal" notice from Progressive for my insurance very vague said they "do not have an approved rate that will allow us to charge an appropriate price for your policy".
    I contacted my agent she contacted the Company and told her it had something to do with N.Y. insurance regulations. She could not get any further info from them, she said she never heard of this either. If your policy is with Progressive and like mine renews in April I would contact them.
    Found further info direct from Progressive, if your insurance premium increases over 25% (apparently mine did) NY insurance regulations prevent them from insuring you.
    If your in New York and with Progressive I would check with your agent.
    2019 Rally , GMUltra Violet

Spyder Garage

Typical gobblygook. Why don't they just come out and tell you that they want to raise your rates and the state law does not allow them to raise them to the level THEY want. So, goodbye..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

WOW! An SSR! There are many other insurance companies, try the smaller ones that you don't see ads for on TV. Or a broker.
    FWIW, Although others here may have had nothing but good experiences with them, I wouldn't give Progressive a penny. I've heard too many horror stories and I do not like where their profits go.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

i hope not . hi schenectady ny to
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

I’m with progressive, haven’t heard anything yet. Just in case though, what other companies are folks using in ny?
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

RICZ, you sir are so right.

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Empire state. land of obstruction

Spyder Garage

Geico works well for me....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    I’m with progressive, haven’t heard anything yet. Just in case though, what other companies are folks using in ny?
    I'm not in NY, but for better or worse, I'm with State Farm and have been for over 40 years. My agent allows me to suspend the liability and collision during the off season, but with a phone call that tells them I'm taking the Spyder out for a day or three, they cover me. My part of that bargain is to reinstate the full coverage when the riding season begins. The best part of this is, I don't have to pay for the liability and collision while it's suspended, saving me lots of $. This program makes my bike insurance really cheap. They consider me a good customer because I have all my other policies with them, so they give me that break.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Time to go shopping -- or move.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

All the more reason to JOIN the AMA, American Motorcyclist Association (800) AMA-JOIN
    they can and will insure you and much much more... give them a call.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkSpyder View Post
    Just a heads up to fellow motorcyclists in New York just got a "non-renewal" notice from Progressive for my insurance very vague said they "do not have an approved rate that will allow us to charge an appropriate price for your policy".
    I contacted my agent she contacted the Company and told her it had something to do with N.Y. insurance regulations. She could not get any further info , she said she never heard of this either. If your policy is with Progressive and like mine renews in April I would contact them.
    Found further info direct from Progressive, if your insurance premium increases over 25% (apparently mine did) NY insurance regulations prevent them from insuring you.
    If your in New York and with Progressive I would check with your agent.

Spyder Garage

I dumped Progressive some time back. Did a bit of looking into them and found alot of their stuff is handled by third parties.
    MrBill
    Las Cruces, NM
    Got Chile? Red or Green?
    2015 Spyder RT
    1980 Suzuki GS750ET, still scares me!

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

screw progressive, if they don't want to take your money there are others that will, i left state farm & now i'm with utica for 30% less. there are as many insurance companies out there as there are tire threads here.

Spyder Garage

I oddly enough did better at Dairyland for the bikes than I did at Progressive, so I am there, plus they suspend me in non-riding months, but leave me with storage coverage, saves me 60% over Progressive. Progressive made me year round when I moved to Colorado even though half the year I am locked up in high altitude snow. I will be shopping after this one expires, but oddly enough, I have been with Dairyland for quite some time. Their rates dropped right after an insurance incident fell off my record just like they promised too, so they have always been fair with me, I am NOT risk with them, and they have great customer service in accidents and claims. I wrecked the Indian with them, and they got me as much as they could.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krakum1967 View Post
    I oddly enough did better at Dairyland for the bikes than I did at Progressive, so I am there, plus they suspend me in non-riding months, but leave me with storage coverage, saves me 60% over Progressive. Progressive made me year round when I moved to Colorado even though half the year I am locked up in high altitude snow. I will be shopping after this one expires, but oddly enough, I have been with Dairyland for quite some time. Their rates dropped right after an insurance incident fell off my record just like they promised too, so they have always been fair with me, I am NOT risk with them, and they have great customer service in accidents and claims. I wrecked the Indian with them, and they got me as much as they could.
    X's 2 … I had FOURMOST my first year with my 14 RT, then the rate went up …. I had Dairyland for decades with my Wings, and decided to look there again..... Their quote was $60.00 less per year with same FULL coverage … so I got that. …. have been five yrs. now & they haven't upped my premiums much …. shop around - good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

I hit a deer on the Indian, and all the sudden, all of the accessories I had on the bike were insured, so they sent me a check for 3K after they paid off the bike, like I said, I don't remember insuring the accessories, but it happened, and Dairyland got me what they could in a deer strike, which is usually nothing over the loss of the vehicle, and medical if you have it.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

+1 on Dairyland. I dropped Markel Bikeline because they kept going up until they got non-competitive.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderman2018 View Post
    Geico works well for me....
    Me too.

Spyder Garage

Also in NY. Probably the state insurance dept causing more problems than Progressive. The Spyder is an add-on for my home and auto through Nationwide. I'm sure they aren't the cheapest but the service has been great for 2 generations+. Of both the agent and my family.
    Also near Schenectady

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmnels View Post
    Also in NY. Probably the state insurance dept causing more problems than Progressive. The Spyder is an add-on for my home and auto through Nationwide. I'm sure they aren't the cheapest but the service has been great for 2 generations+. Of both the agent and my family.
    Also near Schenectady
    Yes, it's not just the insurance companies. States like NY tend to have an affinity to over-regulate everything so businesses have to make decisions to maintain fiscal viability. Most businesses don't have a goal to lose customers.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

I changed from Rider to Geico. Saved $100 per year with better coverage.
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver