Thread: Navigation

Spyder Garage

Default Navigation

I almost hate to begin this discussion concerning the Spyder BRP Connect nav. options because it seems to have been covered extensively. However, here goes. I will try to narrow down my question as much as possible.

I would like to use the options on my bike (2019 F3 L) which seems to be either Genius Maps, Rever, or Sygic. My basic need is to be able to go from point A to point B. When I’m at point B I’m ok with typing in point C before I take off. I suppose programming an entire route from the comfort of my home before departure would be nice but not a priority. All the bells and whistles provided by these apps are nice and useful but ultimately I generally end up only using the basics.

I could mount my phone on the bars and pretty much get what I need. However, I really like to keep my phone accessible, in an inside jacket pocket, just in case of an accident. Plus the BRP Connect option was a small factor is deciding on a Spyder so I feel like I should be able to use it.

I have an older Garmin that I could again mount on the bars but it is somewhat difficult to see in sunlight but again I paid for the BRP Connect and feel I should use it.

So my question is: which of the options through BRP connect is the easiest to use, provides basic route navigation, and requires the least expensive subscription fees.

From what I have previously read on this site the answer to my question may not be as simple as I would like and I may end up using my older Garmin or Phone anyway.

Thanks
    Poasttown

Spyder Garage

I use Sygic maps (downloaded on to my android smart phone) and love it. One-time purchase cost was around $65-70 as I remember. The way I use it is as follows: Instead of programing an entire route, with waypoints, I just put all of my waypoints in as favorites. When I'm approaching the first waypoint, say within a few miles, I just tell Sygic (with the joystick) to proceed to the next waypoint from my favorites list. Simple. Works well every time. I pretty much did the same thing with my Garmin when I was using it. Works for me.
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Lifelong rider
    Thanks for your reply. Sounds just about how I use my nav. equipment. A quick follow-up question. When you said you downloaded Sygic to your phone, did you then sink it to your Spyder and use the joystick and dash display or just work from your phone.

Thanks
    Poasttown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poasttown View Post
    I would like to use the options on my bike (2019 F3 L) which seems to be either Genius Maps, Rever, or Sygic.
    I could mount my phone on the bars and pretty much get what I need. However, I really like to keep my phone accessible, in an inside jacket pocket, just in case of an accident. Plus the BRP Connect option was a small factor is deciding on a Spyder so I feel like I should be able to use it.

I have an older Garmin that I could again mount on the bars but it is somewhat difficult to see in sunlight but again I paid for the BRP Connect and feel I should use it.

So my question is: which of the options through BRP connect is the easiest to use, provides basic route navigation, and requires the least expensive subscription fees.

Thanks
    Poasttown
    Drop Rever from the list and study the other two. I don't think Rever would meet your needs.

The downside of using any of the BRP Connect options is you will not be able to keep your phone in your pocket, unless you are willing to have a USB cable running to your pocket at the same time.

I can only speak for myself. I bought Rever and Sygic and used them. Then I caught a Garmin Zumo 595 on sale and have been using and loving it. Lots of folks have made Sygic work for them and are happy.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I have to agree with EdMat. Any phone app that you want to display on the Spyders display. You have to plug into the usb data cable. There simply is not enough data bandwidth with BT. Also your phone screen will be locked out while usb connected to your Spyder.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poasttown View Post
    Lifelong rider
    Thanks for your reply. Sounds just about how I use my nav. equipment. A quick follow-up question. When you said you downloaded Sygic to your phone, did you then sink it to your Spyder and use the joystick and dash display or just work from your phone.

Thanks
    Poasttown
    It's actually very easy. First download the BRP Connect app onto your phone. Then, download Sygic maps to your phone. I only downloaded the states maps that I was most likely to use right away. You can download all if you wish but it takes up more storage on your phone. Then, familiarize yourself with Sygic Maps once downloaded. Then, make sure your Bluetooth is turned on, both on the bike and on your phone, open both the BRP app and Sygic on your phone, plug the phone into the charge port in your glove box and you're done. With the bike running, depress the BRP Connect button on the front side of your left handgrip and cursor over to Sygic Maps using the joystick. Depress the joy stick and your in. Using the joy stick you can then select "navigate to", then favorites, etcs. Sounds complicated but once you do it a few times it's really simple to use. There have been complaints about the complexity of BRP Connect but for navigation, I love it. The volume control for the nav works by pressing up or down on the joy stick (only when the voice directions are heard). Will work just the same whether you have Sygic or Genius maps. To answer your basic question though, it's synced with the bike and the mapping appears on your dash display controlled with the joy stick !
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Many will disagree with me but put the Garmin Zumo on your bike, I did because when you are using the GPS that is all you have, no radio or cell phone. I put the Garmin Zumo 595 on it and the harness for the GPS allowed me to tap the audio plug in the glove box into the harness so I can listen to my IPOD, plus I have tons of songs downloaded onto a micro USB card installed in the Garmin. I can use Pandora, Spotify, IHeart Radio and when the gps needs to give directions it interrupts just like a car GPS. PLUS I was also able to install my Satellite Radio and plug it into the harness as well.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents