Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default engine oil for 998 sm5 ?

i have read all the info i can find but the more i read the more i'm not sure, especially for the sm5, what engine oil do you run in the 998 sm5[manual clutch], that won't damage the clutch and preferably not foam like brp, and preferably i can buy at advance or oreileys.
    2015 rs

Spyder Garage

Valvoline 4 Stroke. I've used it for years on all my bikes. Due to the nature of a dry sump engine, all oil will create some foam.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

[Mobil 1 10/40

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default If in doubt....

Go with the XPS from BRP blend 5w40. I have used this for years with good results on my 2012 RS Sm5. It is refined by Castrol but I recently changed to Castrol 10w40 blended as we are in a warmer climate
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Shell Rotella T6 5w40

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Amsoil!!! Metric
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

hmmm... kinda the same as doing a search, 5 different answers and 3 of them i have read bad things about elsewhere.
    2015 rs

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bayoubill View Post
    hmmm... kinda the same as doing a search, 5 different answers and 3 of them i have read bad things about elsewhere.
    You know what they say about opinions!! Oil and tires!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

i have read all the info i can find but the more i read the more i'm not sure, especially for the sm5, what engine oil do you run in the 998 sm5[manual clutch], that won't damage the clutch and preferably not foam like brp, and preferably i can buy at advance or oreileys.
    There are more oil and tire threads than any other subjects on the forum. There's an incredible amount of info available here from folks that put a lot of time and effort into posting the data. It's all here. What's you'll get starting a new thread is a couple hundred more opinions. Do you just want someone to TELL you which oil to use?
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

If we really want to get scary here...doesn't the owners manual make some suggestions? Using whatever "they" say, should avoid any warranty problems or engine failures.

However, the many oil threads now and to come later, do offer each and every one an opportunity to share their knowledge with others.

I for one am not mechanical. I have been entrusting my Spyders to those "in the know" since 2008.

An official dealer in AK...but not any more. And currently Lamonster Garage for the last go around.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-25-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

There are a number of lubricants that will work in the 998. Especially if you are changing at the recommended 4,500 mile intervals. That is where most oils, including the BRP lubricants, begin to suffer a great deal of viscosity loss due to shearing. If you plan to go farther than 4,500 miles on an oil change. Or if you want better protection. There are only a few lubricants that will do the job.

Of course, there are a number of oils which work in just about every other wet clutch application that will not do will in the 998. And this is probably what is causing you understandable concern. You certainly do not want to slip your clutch. It can be a very expensive error.

The BRP lubricants do tend to foam more than most. Of all the oils I have tried, Amsoil foams the least. Virtually not any foam at all. With the BRP oil and others, you just need to wait until the foam dissipates before you can get an accurate reading.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    There are a number of lubricants that will work in the 998. Especially if you are changing at the recommended 4,500 mile intervals. That is where most oils, including the BRP lubricants, begin to suffer a great deal of viscosity loss due to shearing. If you plan to go farther than 4,500 miles on an oil change. Or if you want better protection. There are only a few lubricants that will do the job.

Of course, there are a number of oils which work in just about every other wet clutch application that will not do will in the 998. And this is probably what is causing you understandable concern. You certainly do not want to slip your clutch. It can be a very expensive error.

The BRP lubricants do tend to foam more than most. Of all the oils I have tried, Amsoil foams the least. Virtually not any foam at all. With the BRP oil and others, you just need to wait until the foam dissipates before you can get an accurate reading.
    i respect your opinion , if it were your bike, and your choice of where to buy was advance or oreileys, what would you personally use?
    2015 rs

Spyder Garage

Valvoline 10- 40 full syn. at the parts store or walmart. BUT You can get castrol 10 40 full syn. online DELIVERED for less n its a better oil.Easy to get 6000 miles on it. $45.00 6 pack Amazon.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Docster View Post
    There are more oil and tire threads than any other subjects on the forum. There's an incredible amount of info available here from folks that put a lot of time and effort into posting the data. It's all here. What's you'll get starting a new thread is a couple hundred more opinions. Do you just want someone to TELL you which oil to use?
    actually thats exactly what i want, someone like bajaron who i think knows what he's talikng about, to just tell me
    2015 rs

Spyder Garage

LOL....Ron sells amsoil.SO Thats what hes gona tell you! Its great oil for sure.BUT For the money the castrol is the best choice.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TONYO View Post
    LOL....Ron sells amsoil.SO Thats what hes gona tell you! Its great oil for sure.BUT For the money the castrol is the best choice.
    isn't that the way we do most things, find someone and learn enough about THEM to believe they know what they are talking about, whether its a doctor, lawyer, mechanic, a/c guy, whatever, and follow their advice?
    2015 rs

Spyder Garage

I use Valvoline syn Motorcycle 10-40. Important thing is it SHOULD be Jaso MA2 rated - whatever it is? Jaso 2 IS better than just Jaso.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Amsoil fron Ron

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TONYO View Post
    I do sell Amsoil. I resisted selling any oil for a long time. But I sell a lot of oil filter kits and customers were always saying they wanted to get both the filter kit and oil from the same source. Typically, when I told people that I did not sell oil they would ask 'What oil do you use?'. My answer was 'Amsoil'. Then they would say; 'Sell me some of that!' So, finally I gave in and started selling Amsoil at my actual cost. I don't make anything on the oil. I did this partly to give customers a break on the price. And partly so no one could say I was pushing the product because I was making a profit on it. I do make a profit on the filter kits. and that is good enough for me.

I use Amsoil because it performs better than any other oil I or any of my customers have sent an analysis for. I have not seen an analysis for every appropriate lubrican out there, and I suspect there are a few other lubricants that would compare favorably to Amsoil. Even lubricants which do not hold up nearly as well as Amsoil, based on actual analysis, seem to be adequate in most cases.

Amsoil is just 1 option out of many. I don't tell anyone that they are making a mistake if they don't use Amsoil. I do try to impart the information I've accumulated from oil analysis over the years. And I do warn people about using inappropriate oils. Especially the 998 owners. I'd like the same to be done for me if I didn't know better. Learning the hard way can sometimes be very expensive.

I enjoy these oil discussions. Information is good. In the end, I feel that everyone should be satisfied with their selection, and let the other guy do the same.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-25-2019 at 09:01 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

pretty much decided to go with castrol power 1 4t 5w40
    2015 rs

Spyder Garage

Amsoil Metric Motorcycle oil 10W-40. Made for wet clutch bikes. 100% synthetic.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnny canuck View Post
    Amsoil Metric Motorcycle oil 10W-40. Made for wet clutch bikes. 100% synthetic.
    the only thing that worries me about amsoil, if its true or not i don't know, but i went through this same decision on the harley boards a few years back, people were using amsoil and reporting lower engine temps, great right, but then there was a lot of people thinking and saying the reason amsoil temps were lower was because it wasn't transfering heat as well, in other words the oil was cooler but the actual parts were hotter than other oils. i have never tried it myself because of the price and i want something i can just go buy locally, but all the arguments about heat transfer, or lack of it, did ring to have some truth to them.
    2015 rs

Spyder Garage

pretty much decided to go with castrol power 1 4t 5w40
    That's what I use
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

Any Jaso M2 rated oil and change every 4K. As Ron said, oil viscosity starts to break down by then. Back when I had an '11 and '14 RT, I ran oil analysis's on several brands. Some were slightly better than others, but overall, my experience made me change at 4K. Prob won't be but 2, or 3 at most, changes per year.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)