Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

It is curious that the bolt will bend when the shock eye is lifted but doesn't bend when the shock eye presses down on the bolt.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    It is curious that the bolt will bend when the shock eye is lifted but doesn't bend when the shock eye presses down on the bolt.
    I'm pretty sure there is a difference between lifting the weight of the rear and what the amount of pressure is applied to the bolt. ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    If the ramps face forward, you would not be able to drive down the ramps. The rear wheel ramp will hit the bottom of the frame.
    Aha, I see, this is only when you mechanically lift the bike and place three ramps. I thought there might be some obscure reason for reversing up the front ramps. Thanks for the clarification.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    +1 and MOST IMPORTANT! If one attempts to lift the rear of the frame by placing the jack on the lower shock eye it will bend the bolt and one will have a difficult time getting the bolt out.
    How can this possibly be the case, the mechanical advantage the rear wheel has over the shock is greater than the bike's rear weight, isn't it?
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRosePetal View Post
    How can this possibly be the case, the mechanical advantage the rear wheel has over the shock is greater than the bike's rear weight, isn't it?
    If the jack is on the shock " eye " … the BOLT that goes thru that " EYE " is also lifted …. and puts a lot of pressure ie. Force upon the two side brackets that contain the shock " eye " ….. you might be able to get the bolt to pass thru using B F H , but you won't ever get the bolt to pass back thru ….UNLESS you move the jack to some other location on the rear frame …. by using the method I described above in another post - you jack it up once and done …… but I do realize you have done the impossible ( the DESS module - removed with the Frunk still on ) ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Seriously? Guys this is not rocket science about the bolt.

The rear shock installed has a spring on it. That spring supports the weight of the vehicles aft end and riders. Yes there might be a supplemental spring via the air bag.

In simple terms the spring supports the vehicle. Therefore the load into the bolt in a static non moving load is the least it can be with wheels on ground and vehicle weight on wheels.

Positioning a jack, under the shock eyelet and lifting the rear wheel, the load induced on the bolt is the droop weight of the rear suspension and tire / wheel / brakes. Regarding the bolt, that weight, including leverage, is far less than the weight of the Spyder with no air bag support.

The jack applies lifting force into the shock eyelet, this lifting force is applied into the spring. The spring transfer the force into the frame at the upper shock mount on the chassis.

You are far more likely to bend the bolt and the support tube by overloading the Spyder and bottoming out the suspension, or continuing to ride / bottom out from insufficient support from the air spring bladder.

To the original person posting, as you have read, many owners will use ramps in a safe manner to elevate the machine in the front to accomplish an oil change. Myself, on our Spyder, ramps are not viable since the trailer hitch mudflap would scrape badly. My method for oil change is either use the low height drain pan and not jack at all, or I raise the Spyder by jacking all wheels at once, then place ramps under the front tires, and use a concrete block and cap block under the rear tire. I do set the brake to prevent movement once placed on the raised supports.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If the jack is on the shock " eye " … the BOLT that goes thru that " EYE " is also lifted …. and puts a lot of pressure ie. Force upon the two side brackets that contain the shock " eye " ….. you might be able to get the bolt to pass thru using B F H , but you won't ever get the bolt to pass back thru ….UNLESS you move the jack to some other location on the rear frame …. by using the method I described above in another post - you jack it up once and done …… but I do realize you have done the impossible ( the DESS module - removed with the Frunk still on ) ….. Mike

The force you describe is identical whether you lift at the shock eyelet or under the chassis.

If you jack under the chassis, the suspension droop weight is induced into those shock mount brackets, and the bolt.

If you lift under the shock eyelet, the suspension droop weight is induced into those shock mount brackets, and the bolt.

This is in regards to lifting only. If the person jacking applies side loads it may be possible to bend the brackets.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    …… but I do realize you have done the impossible ( the DESS module - removed with the Frunk still on ) ….. Mike
    Hehe. Some of us are just cleverer than others...

The rear suspension is a 2nd class lever system, very like a plier type nut cracker in operation. The rear bike load is applied to the end of the lever (the swing arm at the wheel), the pivot is at the front of the swing arm and the suspension spring is the 'nut' in the nut cracker. When the bike is on its wheels, there is substantially more load on the bolt than there will be by a simple lifting of the bike weight at the bottom of the spring/shocker. Won't there?

Spyder Garage

I use DIY wooden ramps. Four pieces of 6 X 1 (yes 1 not 2), staggered to obtain the ramp up effect, for a total of three inches high. I used leftover cedar planks. I use three such ramps, one for each wheel. Works for me.
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hmmm, this all has me confused as I try picture the front wheels on the car ramps. I can see where more weight is shifted to the rear of the machine so that the extended mud flap may drag, as on the 2020 RT, one day someone will do a U Tube and it all will become clear.

Spyder Garage

i bought some half height plastic ramps
    they are perfect for oil change on the spyder as both drain plugs are to the rear
    you can drive up the ramps as they are not too high,but dont work so well on smooth concrete,as they tend to slip...rough concrete is fine tho

russ
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How high is half height?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by merlot View Post
    they are perfect for oil change on the spyder as both drain plugs are to the rear
    you can drive up the ramps as they are not too high,but dont work so well on smooth concrete,as they tend to slip...rough concrete is fine tho

russ
    I like those ...
    https://www.amazon.com/RhinoGear-119...2065808&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Discount-Ramp...2065943&sr=8-2

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    How high is half height?
    theyre 160mm or a bit over 6 inches

i've driven manual and auto up them...because they are low,its not intimidating to drive up them....except for slipping on the smooth concrete
    and great for oil changes

russ
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker

Spyder Garage

Not the most elegant solution, but ramps don't slide when they got a backing piece and rebar stuck in the floor behind them. When you pull the backing pieces out and throw them under the tool box, all that is left is a few 1/2 inch holes in the floor. Works for me, and it was free. All the pieces came from my scrap metal pile.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaoyster View Post
    If you don't mind laying on the floor you don't need the ramps. I don't raise mine up and have no problems. Plus I'm in no hurry so I let it drain for an hour or 2.
    I do the same as Steve, even with ramps you would have to lay on the floor, so why dick around with ramps? Just curious.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by merlot View Post

russ
    What do you mean by 1/2 height? They look like regular everyday common ramp height to me.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, I'm curious as well.

Spyder Garage

Without measuring, they look to be about 4" shorter than my steel ramps.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Shorter or lower ?

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Lower
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaoyster View Post
    If you don't mind laying on the floor you don't need the ramps. I don't raise mine up and have no problems. Plus I'm in no hurry so I let it drain for an hour or 2.
    Easy as can be without raising F3 at all. You just need to use a shallow pan to drain oil into.
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06