Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Kadoka to Rapid is about 90 minutes, to Murdo about another 30 minutes. Rapid to Deadwood is about 45 minutes. The Badlands are just West of Kadoka. They’re building hotels like crazy along I 90, you would think the competition would drive prices down. Might have to look at an Air B&B?
    If you’re camping there’s several campgrounds once you get west of Piedmont.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    Kadoka to Rapid is about 90 minutes, to Murdo about another 30 minutes. Rapid to Deadwood is about 45 minutes. The Badlands are just West of Kadoka. Might have to look at an Air B&B?
    The neat thing about the ride from Murdo to the Badlands. It takes no time at all. Mountain time starts right outside of Murdo. The one hour drive to the Badlands gets you there at the same time you left Murdo. (no time at all.........)

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yes, its looking like one of the "fringe" towns might be a good place to hang our hats. I love the Badlands Nat'l Park road (from both directions). A cut through there on the way "home" would not be to bad. We don't gamble and the hoopla in Deadwood is not a draw for us. I did a one week in Deadwood a few years back. Meeting fellow SL's would be the reason for venturing into the crowds.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Any recommendations on accomodations. I looked at the rally suggestions and the first one listed was already booked up. One of the "fancier" ones wanted almost $200 per night. That's a thousand bucks for the rally. Looked at the Super 8 in Murdo (about an hour away) and they were in the $90's.

Last time I was there, we stayed in Rapid City. Don't remember the cost. I have paid up to $500 a night (Hawaii)...but those days are now in the past.
    Try Black Hills Inn and Suits in Deadwood. Just out side of Deadwood but still has the trolley stop.

Spyder Garage

The neat thing about the ride from Murdo to the Badlands. It takes no time at all. Mountain time starts right outside of Murdo. The one hour drive to the Badlands gets you there at the same time you left Murdo. (no time at all.........)
    Can’t argue with that. With all the rain last year the Badlands were actually pretty green. Lots of bees and bugs. Pack windshield cleaning supplies. This years supposed to be wetter then normal too.

have to rotate pictures?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Ya, but it takes longer to get back!

Spyder Garage

Yeah but it takes twice as long to get back.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Yeah but it takes twice as long to get back.

Cruzr Joe
    Half of the ride is good. The return works out to be twice as long. Based on averages, I think I am good.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

All this Deadwood talk makes me want to go ride. it's blowing snow and the Northern Hills are under a Winter Weather Advisory.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Going to try and make this one for sure

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Any recommendations on accomodations. I looked at the rally suggestions and the first one listed was already booked up. One of the "fancier" ones wanted almost $200 per night. That's a thousand bucks for the rally. Looked at the Super 8 in Murdo (about an hour away) and they were in the $90's.

Last time I was there, we stayed in Rapid City. Don't remember the cost. I have paid up to $500 a night (Hawaii)...but those days are now in the past.
    Try looking in Custer. I've stayed there many times and the prices are good and the best riding is all in that area. Not too far from Deadwood.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Try looking in Custer. I've stayed there many times and the prices are good and the best riding is all in that area. Not too far from Deadwood.
    Thank you. On one of our trips we used Custer as a home base. I will check into that also.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-13-2020 at 10:57 AM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Our accommodations problem solved. Linda has a cousin in Rapid City. He has an extra BR in his condo...and he rides a trike.

We filled out the registration forms today. See you all there.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the information, I think we will attend this year.
    2020 Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Signed up myself, since I am semi-retired now...

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    Signed up myself, since I am semi-retired now...
    Hope we can meet up.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

We are staying at deadwood dicks. First rally, looking forward to it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by will View Post
    We are staying at deadwood dicks. First rally, looking forward to it.
    If you’ve never been to the Hills before, be sure to go to the ride and route overview Sunday night. You can get connected with others who have been here before. There are several nice rides off the common tourist routes. Make sure and bring your camera.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There is a Super 8 in Deadwood as well. We stayed there, it was only OK, but, we weren't there very much, just to sleep so it was pretty good. I think we paid $132.00 a night including taxes and fees. As for the rally, it is a pretty lose affair. when you arrive they line you up to get a T-shirt,, then they hand you some routes to ryde (and they are awesome routes I must say) and they have vendors there. Toward the end of the week they have some pretty cool events. All in all it was a great visit to a great part of the country.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I will make sure we attend the route overview Sunday night. We are still working out our route from Northern MN, probably heading to Marshall to visit an old friend then west. On the way back we want to visit the Enchanted Highway in ND.

https://www.ndtourism.com/regent/att...hanted-highway

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by will View Post
    Thanks, I will make sure we attend the route overview Sunday night. We are still working out our route from Northern MN, probably heading to Marshall to visit an old friend then west. On the way back we want to visit the Enchanted Highway in ND.

https://www.ndtourism.com/regent/att...hanted-highway
    Connecting somewhere with 23 S to Marshall, and then across I 90 West will take you there in the quickest way. You can avoid the 20 miles one way to Mitchell to see the famous Corn Palace...unless you like a theater building decorated in colored corn kernels.

The auto Museum in Murdo is a good look if you like old cars, trucks, and motorcycles.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have done I 90 several times in the car to the Black Hills, especially when visiting my parents home in Pipestone when I was stationed in Albuquerque. I am thinking state or back roads for this trip. When I was a kid I saw the three stooges (I don't recall which three they were at that time probably around 1963 or so) at the Corn Palace. I am thinking maybe US 14 to hit some of the places I went when growing up like Brookings. A friend of mine and I road my overloaded 250cc Puche out to Pierre SD and then on to a Boy Scout camp for a week. So I want to stop at the river and see if anything looks like I think I remember. Things probably haven't changed much in 30 years.

But I always appreciate your feedback as you probably got around MN on a motorcycle more than me and we have just recently started going back often. My wife married me 46 years ago because I was the first guy leaving MN and we just kept on going. Hopefully we will get to meet you and many others at Deadwood.

Spyder Garage

Sorry, I meant to say 50 years things haven't changed much I either need a better keyboard or better typer.

Spyder Garage

From Pierre you could either go down highway 83 which is now 4 lane to I 90 or go west on 14/34 then go down to Midland or continue on to Sturgis. Watch out for Pheasants west of Hayes. Would highly recommend going south to Hwy 44. Very scenic cutting through the badlands. Road around Scenic is rather wavy.
    One thing about western South Dakota is you need to plan your gas stops.
    The road going south from Murdo to Highway 44 is under destruction, but if you go south from Kadoka you catch the badlands a few miles south of town.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey