Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Looking for advice on moving my master cylinder so I can replace the oil filter

So I see a top clip on it, but that just opens the lid.

Is there a trick to unclipping it so I can gently move it aside?

I looked in the manual and it shows me how to check the fluid level, but not how to move it out of the way

Spyder Garage

I never heard that the master cylinder, nor the reservoir have to be moved to do an oil change. But I have yet to do my first one - just passing on what I see on this forum.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    So I see a top clip on it, but that just opens the lid.

Is there a trick to unclipping it so I can gently move it aside?

I looked in the manual and it shows me how to check the fluid level, but not how to move it out of the way
    Interesting question what do you have for a Spyder? I don't have the ans. for you, but I was going to look. Not sure there are any Spyders that require you to move the master cylinder to change the oil filter.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Behind the reservoir is a small piece of plastic, horizontal on top of the clip that holds it on. Slip that out, tilt the reservoir slightly, and lift. It will move enough to be out of your way to remove the oil filter cover. Cover hex is 36mm. Cover the area with paper towels, as it will drip. Remove old filter, drop new one in, replace O rings, replace cover. Call if you get stuck. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

There is a clip on the back side of the bracket. Unclip it there to allow you to move the master out of the way
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well there you go, are all F3 models like that (have to move the master cylinder to change the oil filter)?
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

F3-S 1330.......... change my oil filter without moving it.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I did my 18 F3L oil filter without moving the master cylinder. Was able to get cover out but was hard to clear housing. Didn't know I could easily move the master cylinder out of the way.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Yup. So much easier!
    Joe Meyer

Spyder Garage

If you know the sequence for removal and replacement, there is no need to move the master cylinder to change the oil filter on an F3. Filter and cover come out together much easier than cover alone with its long center stalk.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    If you know the sequence for removal and replacement, there is no need to move the master cylinder to change the oil filter on an F3. Filter and cover come out together much easier than cover alone with its long center stalk.
    I cant even see the filter housing when I remove the service panel. All I see is the master cyliner. Moving the MC is the only way to get to the filter housing.

Spyder Garage

I cant even see the filter housing when I remove the service panel. All I see is the master cyliner. Moving the MC is the only way to get to the filter housing.
    On the F3-S the whole side panel comes off with only 4 screws and a couple of push pins. You can sit on a stool and reach everything in there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    On the F3-S the whole side panel comes off with only 4 screws and a couple of push pins. You can sit on a stool and reach everything in there.

If I were to buy replacement push pins, what would I buy? And what tool is needed to remove them?

Spyder Garage

Gwolf has the right idea. That panel removes easily.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

If I were to buy replacement push pins, what would I buy? And what tool is needed to remove them?

Don't know the exact size. I got one of these bulk packs with 6 or 7 different sizes. I just pick one out that matches the old one. Tool comes with the bulk pack. You can use the other sizes on car door panels or something.

https://www.amazon.com/GOOACC-GRC-30...450666&sr=8-12

Can't hardly go wrong for $9. You don't have to replace them every time.

Spyder Garage

You can do the filter change without moving the reservoir, but it is simple, and makes more room. More importantly, it answers the OP’s question.
    Joe Meyer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Don't know the exact size. I got one of these bulk packs with 6 or 7 different sizes. I just pick one out that matches the old one. Tool comes with the bulk pack. You can use the other sizes on car door panels or something.

https://www.amazon.com/GOOACC-GRC-30...450666&sr=8-12

Can't hardly go wrong for $9. You don't have to replace them every time.
    I found the same thing on eBay for $11.77 plus free shipping and they take PayPal, my preferred method for buying online.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Owner's manual says remove the side panel for oil change. Everything becomes easier if you do.

Attached Images Attached Images
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Bend over and look at the side of the engine. You may not know me, but I run a Spyder shop and have done a few hundred oil changes on these. Yes, you can see and remove the oil filter without disturbing the master cylinder. Do it all the time.

Yes, you do need to remove the right side panel as shown in the photos above. The filter is clearly visible in the photo too with the master cylinder in position.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 02-12-2020 at 09:37 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Bend over and look at the side of the engine. You may not know me, but I run a Spyder shop and have done a few hundred oil changes on these. Yes, you can see and remove the oil filter without disturbing the master cylinder. Do it all the time.

Yes, you do need to remove the right side panel as shown in the photos above. The filter is clearly visible in the photo too with the master cylinder in position.
    I completely agree with you. For me, I am simply scared about removing any of the panels besides the two service panels. I feel Ill never get it back together again.

Spyder Garage

2015 F3-S ,do not remove mine

Spyder Garage

I completely agree with you. For me, I am simply scared about removing any of the panels besides the two service panels. I feel Ill never get it back together again.
    There is only 4 screws and a few nylon push pins on the side panel. It is very easy to remove and put back. After a few times doing it, you will be able to do it with your eyes closed.

There is also some other advantages to removing the side panel. You can clearly see in there with the panel removed. If there are any fluid leaks, hoses beginning to crack, or other problems you can spot them, and correct them before they become major problems.

Spyder Garage

Replacing the service cover is a helluva lot more fiddly than re-installing the side panel.

Spyder Garage

So I was able to get the side panel off. Was easier than I thought. But broke the pushpins. I have new ones on the way. How are they reinserted when I put everything back together?

Spyder Garage

So I was able to get the side panel off. Was easier than I thought. But broke the pushpins. I have new ones on the way. How are they reinserted when I put everything back together?
    The holes in the side panel line up with holes along the top brace. They are actually called nylon push rivets rather than push pins. You just stick them in the holes and then push down on the center part which spreads the legs of the lower piece that went through the hole so they don't come back out.

You can usually get them out without damaging them by prying up on just the center button. Get the center button up about 1/4 inch and the whole thing should pull right out by hand. You can pry up on the center button with the small common screwdrivers or dental picks, or anything like that.

Very simple and easy. If you break one or lose one, they are very inexpensive.