Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder -laser alignments

I saw a very recent YouTube vid on the SmoaksVlog regarding his shop doing laser alignments on out of the box delivered 2020 Spyders. I have a 2020 RTL ordered and it's supposed to be delivered next month. Do all shops do laser alignments after final assembly? I will definitely be asking my dealer to make sure it is done. Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

The dealership I purchased my Spyder from did laser alignments and I asked to have it done as part of the OTD deal. Call and ask if they use the Rolo Laser alignment system. If they do, you're in luck IF the technician who sets up the bike knows how to properly use it. If they don't, check this link to find the dealership closest to you that does: http://www.spydercomfort.com/dealerca.htm .
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by giantjas View Post
    I saw a very recent YouTube vid on the SmoaksVlog regarding his shop doing laser alignments on out of the box delivered 2020 Spyders. I have a 2020 RTL ordered and it's supposed to be delivered next month. Do all shops do laser alignments after final assembly? I will definitely be asking my dealer to make sure it is done. Thanks in advance.
    The shop I bought mine from (a large powersports dealer in the Tampa area) does not do laser alignments. When I inquired about it, the service manager asked me why I wanted an alignment . . was I having a problem?. When I explained that I just wanted it checked before getting too many miles on it, his response was that it shouldn't need it, don't worry about it. When I asked why they hadn't invested in a laser alignment setup he didn't know what I was talking about which I found odd because the only alignment procedure specified in the 2019 service manual in now a laser alignment. . . and this was a service manager mind you . . go figure
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Service managers are like that, hope it wasn't Barney's in Brandon.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Service managers are like that, hope it wasn't Barney's in Brandon.
    Nope !
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Here is a link for the video. The alignment was off which IMHO the dealer should ensure is not an issue when spending $30K on a new ride.

https://youtu.be/HbQUn7vDvFQ

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you do a search on alignment here in the forum you'll discover it has been a sore subject for years. I believe BRP has gotten better at aligning the front wheels in the factory, but they don't spend much time on it and so use jigs and not lasers. BRP didn't acknowledge laser alignment as a good system until just a few years ago, and still have not mandated that dealers use it, AFAIK. Ryder experience has shown that the alignment tolerances that are in the specs just don't fit real world experience the best. Owner pressure has gotten the laser alignment process to the level it is today in spite of BRP coolness toward it. Many, if not most, dealers take their ques from BRP and not from customers which is why many dealers still have not gotten on the laser bandwagon. Also, very few dealers like to do "nice to do" services because they seem to have enough "must do" services already to get a Spyder put together and out the door.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    If you do a search on alignment here in the forum you'll discover it has been a sore subject for years. I believe BRP has gotten better at aligning the front wheels in the factory, but they don't spend much time on it and so use jigs and not lasers. BRP didn't acknowledge laser alignment as a good system until just a few years ago, and still have not mandated that dealers use it, AFAIK. Ryder experience has shown that the alignment tolerances that are in the specs just don't fit real world experience the best. Owner pressure has gotten the laser alignment process to the level it is today in spite of BRP coolness toward it. Many, if not most, dealers take their ques from BRP and not from customers which is why many dealers still have not gotten on the laser bandwagon. Also, very few dealers like to do "nice to do" services because they seem to have enough "must do" services already to get a Spyder put together and out the door.
    Plus the initial investment is a bit steep, to do the alignment correctly requires some knowledge and experience with the equipment, to accomplish the task completely in a reasonable time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongRider View Post
    Nope !
    Oh good, thanks.