Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

PK6, did you ever have or use a Sena system before this Cardo system?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    PK6, did you ever have or use a Sena system before this Cardo system?
    DGoebel, the Cardo is my first.

When I was researching various brands, I considered Sena because it seemed like it was a major brand that everyone liked. However, I have heard that if gets wet and malfunctions, Sena won't repair or replace the unit, so you're basically SOL.

The Cardo seems better built with regards to water. I believe it's waterproof to IP6 or something like that. I haven't heard much about UClear, but many seemed to like it.

Good luck in your decision. I believe for our application, the Cardo Freecom 4 Plus is the best system out there.

Check it out:

https://youtu.be/fh45sYfDtl4
    Last edited by Peacekeeper6; 06-21-2020 at 06:25 PM. Reason: edit
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

UPDATE:

8) High Mount Brake/Run/Turn Taillights with Plug-n-Play Harness

The double-sided tape adhesive that secures the light to the bike gets weaker over time. I discovered this when I did a quick "pre-flight" (once a Huey crewchief, always a Huey crewchief, lol) and discovered the whole light assembly was just hanging on the last tape (there are 3). The other 2 just detached from the bike.

So, a quick trip to Autozone to buy the 3M double-sided tape should hopefully last longer. If it doesn't, I welcome any suggestions that will prevent this from happening again.

2002 BMW 325i - his

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Heat is the killer. I added one of those organizers in the trunk of my '18 RTL. I'm glad it's partly attached w/screws cuz the tape is worthless. It's not the "good stuff" but still should have held. I cleaned w/alcohol and used a primer stick, too. That trunk (not frunk) gets hot. I know your 3rd brake light is out in the open but it's directly under the sun.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Heat is the killer. I added one of those organizers in the trunk of my '18 RTL. I'm glad it's partly attached w/screws cuz the tape is worthless. It's not the "good stuff" but still should have held. I cleaned w/alcohol and used a primer stick, too. That trunk (not frunk) gets hot. I know your 3rd brake light is out in the open but it's directly under the sun.
    Well, I'm hoping the 3M tape will do the trick. It seems to be a bit more stickier than the stock tape I removed, but the sun may have already damaged it and made it less sticky. However, I cut the new 3M tape a little longer and wider, so hopefully it'll stick better and longer.

I don't think it is possible to use screws because the light fixture seems thin and frail and there's no real place to drive the screws in.

If it falls off again, I might have to use some type of glue....

2002 BMW 325i - his

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wasn't suggesting you use screws on the 3rd brake light. I was saying the trunk organizer utilizes some of the stock screws/bolts and if it weren't for those, my trunk organizer would end up in the bottom of the trunk.

Spyder Garage

Not a mod per se, but a shout out to my standup sales professional at Elk Grove Powersports in Elk Grove, CA by the name of Shane Ford, who sold us our Spyder last year. Extremely patient, knowledgeable and is available from the point of sale to actual delivery, he’ll be there every step of the way to make sure your vehicle is well taken care of. It’s worth the drive !!

If any of you are in the market for a Spyder, motorcycle, watercraft or side-by-side, he’s the Go To Guy.

Check out my Yelp review under “Lou B.”.

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

12) Lamonster NBV Highway Brackets with IPS Accent Cut Finish Gripper Pegs

Difficulty Level - 1.5

Tips - One of THE best vids on this is done by CoachBob3: https://youtu.be/TTBxeZrDjNw. There is something about his demeanor during his vids that gives me confidence that I could do ANY mods. His easy-going style and sense of humor make it enjoyable to watch and learn. He offers invaluable tips that make the install go easier. I did, however, run into a small problem reinstalling the rear pushpins on the bottom of the air/water deflectors after I bolted on the brackets. Because the brackets made those holes misaligned, I ended up replacing the pushpins with heavy-duty zip ties. If I didn't struggle a little bit putting those deflectors back on, I'd have given it a "1" on the Difficulty Level. Also, when you install those decorative caps, make sure to tighten the set screws on the FLAT part of the huge nut. It's so tempting to hide them on the very bottom, but sometimes that's not where the flat part is. IMHO, there is LESS of a chance of those covers falling off IF you tighten those set screws at the right spot.

Notes: I didn't go on a test ride yet, but sitting on it to position the pegs proves to me that this mod is going to make a HUGE difference. I have floorboards, but it's just really nice to stretch out my legs during long highway cruising. I have highway pegs on my Harley, and I *KNOW* how comfy they can be. The IPS Gripper Pegs with Accent Cut Finish not only provide comfort, but first and foremost, they look cool.

Because after all, "image is everything", LOL.
    Last edited by Peacekeeper6; 09-19-2020 at 09:37 PM. Reason: edit

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

Hey Lou,
    Did you see my post about the footrests I made????
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Hey Lou,
    Did you see my post about the footrests I made????
    I did not.

I’ve been off this forum for a few months. Can you post some pics ??

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up foot rest pix

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    I did not.

I’ve been off this forum for a few months. Can you post some pics ??
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...hwy-foot-rests

There ya go--------I find them very comfortable as my heel still rests on the floorboard and my feet aren't out in the wind much.

Lew L

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Spyder Garage

Nice Lew !!

I should've had you make me a set. I'd have a lot more money left in my bank account for other farkles, that's for sure....
    Last edited by Peacekeeper6; 09-20-2020 at 07:25 PM. Reason: edit

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

Always ask the metal worker for metal work.

Spyder Garage

13) Mo-Door Garage Door Opener with OEM-style rocker switch

Difficulty Level - 2

Tips - Get a tool that can EASILY remove those rocker switch covers. Seriously. This was the first mod in which I hurt myself. While prying up on the stupid cover, my screwdriver slipped and made a nice gash on the tip of my ring finger of my left hand. I knew it was deep because there was a trail of blood from my garage to the kitchen. Figures right ?? Mod #13, lol. Also, I'm not so sure zip tying the excess wire at the switch end was such a good idea, because should the battery of the opener needs replacing, I'm going to have to contend with prying up that stupid switch again. I should've zip tied the excess at the box end....or I should've never zip tied it at all. But I have this fear of having the wire getting tangled because of the proximity to the handlebar, and I decided to heed the warning of Brandon from Slingmods. You know, "make sure the wires are up and out of the way, of any and all, moving parts", lol.

Notes: I really like this mod because I don't have to play "musical openers" with my vehicles. Also, the OEM-style rocker switch that operates the opener looks stock. Programming the opener was a piece of cake, but installing it was a whole other matter. Usually for me, it's the other way around. It's easily a 15 minute job, but my struggles with the switch cover and not damaging anything else made the job 4 times as long.

Anyway, if any of you guys can offer tips on easily removing those damn covers, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks....
    Last edited by Peacekeeper6; 09-27-2020 at 02:29 PM. Reason: edit

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

14) AirHawk Comfort Seat Pad

Difficulty Level - 1

Tips - For the driver, get the Cruiser R (Large). It fits perfectly. I would venture to guess that it would fit the passenger section as well, but we don't do too much 2-up riding. Also, take heed of the fact from the supplied instructions and the advice of other riders in the Internet that it DOES NOT need a large amount of air. That is, the "ideal inflation is about 1/2 inches off the seat. You should be able to feel the air transferring beneath you slightly" (by leaning your body side-to-side). I did just that, and will test it out tomorrow on a group ride. Hopefully, it will eliminate some of the hot spots I experienced with just the stock seat.

Notes: I thought about getting the gel pad or sheepskin, but there were some disadvantages from what I've read. The gel doesn't quite spread out your body weight as effectively as the air cells, which again causes hot spots. The sheepskin, if it does get soaked from the rain, won't dry as fast. If this AirHawk doesn't work as advertised, I might have to look at other options such as a custom seat, but I'm not really prepared to spend hundreds of dollars for one just yet.
    Last edited by Peacekeeper6; 10-10-2020 at 05:45 PM. Reason: edit

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

Hi Lou,
    Nova uses one on the Spyder and I just bought one to use on the V-Max. They work Great once properly adjusted.

Spyder Garage

Hi Lou,
    Nova uses one on the Spyder and I just bought one to use on the V-Max. They work Great once properly adjusted.
    I've actually never seen an AirHawk pad until we went on our group ride to Graegle. That is when I noticed you had one on your bike.

I researched it and found out how it can cure the issues I was having with the stock seat. The group ride yesterday proved how well it worked. I do still have some hot spots, but it's probably because I'm skinny have no fat on my a**, LOL. However, it sure beats shelling out close to $1,000 on the custom seat ANY day !!

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Better seating........

I also bought one for my poor, old, slow V-Max to help with the Corbin saddle I bought a decade + ago. The Corbin has NEVER "broken in " like they said it wood. ( get it --- cause it's like sitting on a wooden bench.)

A great ryde with Battle Born Spyders yesterday. Wish that bar and grill up at Kirkwood was open though.

Lew L
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-31-2023 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

15) Show Chrome LED Saddle Bag Marker Running and Turn Signals with Lamonster Wiring Harness

Difficulty Level - 1.5

Tips - If you do NOT like splicing wires and wrapping electrical tape, I highly suggest you spring for the extra money and buy the wiring harness. I have installed the Show Chrome High Mount Brake/Run/Turn about a year ago, and that also had the wiring harness. For complete plug-n-play, just connect the harnesses in series and you're good to go. Also, those stock reflectors are stuck on there pretty good, so just use a hair dryer and soften the adhesive for easier removal.

Notes: I can't believe how BRIGHT these LEDs are. I thought for sure that daisy-chaining the two electrical components would result in dim lighting, but both the saddle bag marker light and the high mount brake light are as bright as can be. The saddle bag lights also double as a turn signal lights, and when I tested it out for the first time, I didn't encounter the dreaded hyper flash. Yay !! The lights didn't use very much adhesive tape as the stock reflectors, and I'm wondering if the 3M adhesive would be durable enough. I guess only time will tell. I have some spare double-sided 3M tape I used when my third brake light housing started coming off in case it happens to these lights as well.
    Last edited by Peacekeeper6; 12-13-2020 at 07:59 PM. Reason: edit

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

16) Show Chrome Front Fender LED Reflectors Next Gen with Lamonster Wiring Harness

Difficulty Level - 1.5

Tips - If you do NOT like splicing wires and wrapping electrical tape, the supplied Power Bridges make short, simple work of connecting the turn signal and running lights. So spring for these harnesses if they don't come with the kit. Also, if you are taking the front wheels off for the very first time, I highly, HIGHLY, suggest you use an impact wrench. I tried the "old school" way and ended up just spinning the wheels. I think these lug nuts are spun on by automated robots, and again, their torque settings are set WAY too high.

Notes: I can't believe how BRIGHT these LEDs are. Now that I have the high-mount LED Trunk Brake/Turn Signals, the LED Saddle Bag Marker Running/Turn Signals and now the Front Fender LED reflectors, I can now be safely seen from ALL angles. I firmly believe that the more lights you install, the more chances of you being seen, and the less chances of some idiot hitting you because they're not paying attention. The beauty of all these mods is it looks TOTALLY STOCK. It's as though they were made for my bike by BRP !! In my opinion, for the price we pay for our bikes, these lights should have come installed straight from the factory. I can't wait to ride back from work at 0200 in the morning on a dark street and be seen from the International Space Station, LOL.
    Last edited by Peacekeeper6; 02-05-2021 at 11:15 PM. Reason: edit

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

Hey Lou,
    Your ryde is already bright( from the front) and now the sides also. I put these on a while ago and they are BRIGHT. A great mod

We really should hit the slopes soon. Let me know when you want to slide down the mountain.

Lew L

Spyder Garage

Hey Lou,
    Your ryde is already bright( from the front) and now the sides also. I put these on a while ago and they are BRIGHT. A great mod

We really should hit the slopes soon. Let me know when you want to slide down the mountain.

Lew L
    Roger that.

I might go this Sunday, definitely Friday the 19th.

I need to retire, LOL.

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

17) Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal (I actually installed this a few weeks after I got our Spyder 1 1/2 years ago, but totally forgot to write about it)

Difficulty Level - 1

Tips - Like the flag holders, Magic Mirrors, Airhawk Seat Pad, this is about as straight forward and simple as one can get with regards to installation. I mean, if you can't even take out two bolts, remove the old pedal, and install a bigger pedal, you really have no business wrenching on your own bike.

Notes: I just knew when I saw the stock pedal that I had to absolutely do something about it. Not only is it dinky and uncomfortable (I was actually pressing it down with my toes), but it is a true safety hazard in my opinion. I wanted the balls of my feet, not my toes, to have contact with the pedal. Plus, during an emergency panic stop, I wanted to make sure I was able to quickly hit the pedal and apply as much weight as I can. It's a good thing too, because not long after I installed it, I had to jam on the brakes because someone cut me off while I was traveling at a high rate of speed.

I believe that this mod wins the highest ratio of ease of installation to safety factor.

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

18) Crazy Metalman Key Holder

Difficulty Level - 1

Tips - Don't strip the screws that hold it together, lol. But seriously, a 5-year old can easily install this.

Notes: There's a reason why this key holder is pricey: it's well-made and it looks high-end. You can spend your money on other key holders that are worth 1/4 of the price, but they just don't look or feel as good as this one. But even the cheaper ones are a better option than drilling a hole in your key, because I believe doing so will compromise the integrity of the key's protective case, since moisture from rain can make its way to the sensitive electronics embedded inside it.
    Last edited by Peacekeeper6; 11-13-2021 at 05:24 PM. Reason: edit

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

You know sooner or later you have to redo your picture on your page, so that we will get the whole, before and after affects, because some of the things you have done are to the outside of your ride!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl