Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default BajaRon 3-piece sway bar upgrade

(on another thread...)

Took mine for a little spin today to check out the sway bar. It does make a noticeable difference in how the bike handles at speed in the twisties. It's steadier and flatter. I don't get the diving and rebounding any more.

After checking it out on the back roads, I tried the highway. There's a section of I-80 east of US-40 that enters a very twisty section where the advisory for trucks is 35-45mph. There's been two truck accidents there in the past week where the trucks tipped over, spilling their loads; one was bees and the other chocolate.

Anyway, I ran that 5 miles well over the posted speed limit (80+) and the bike was steady as a rock. A Mazda gave chase for awhile but backed off in the twistiest stuff.

I'm happy with the sway bar upgrade. Let the tut-tutting begin...
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-10-2022 at 04:54 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    (on another thread...)

Took mine for a little spin today to check out the sway bar. It does make a noticeable difference in how the bike handles at speed in the twisties. It's steadier and flatter. I don't get the diving and rebounding any more.

After checking it out on the back roads, I tried the highway. There's a section of I-80 east of US-40 that enters a very twisty section where the advisory for trucks is 35-45mph. There's been two truck accidents there in the past week where the trucks tipped over, spilling their loads; one was bees and the other chocolate.

Anyway, I ran that 5 miles well over the posted speed limit (80+) and the bike was steady as a rock. A Mazda gave chase for awhile but backed off in the twistiest stuff.

I'm happy with the sway bar upgrade. Let the tut-tutting begin...
    There's ALWAYS gonna be some nay-sayer that'll say, "Oh, don't be like everybody else and upgrade the swaybar. It's not gonna make one bit of difference. Just lighten up your grip and you'll get used to it. So save your money because the swaybar is just a waste of money."

I always reply to them, "Well, have you EVER ridden a Spyder that has an upgraded swaybar ??"

Silence.

I was one of those who wasn't convinced that piece of thicker bar and a couple of metal thingies is going to do jack to my bike. But after reading MANY riders who were happy they did it, I figured those NO FRIGGEN WAY they were wrong.

So I took the plunge.

I am a TRUE believer of the Baja Ron swaybar. It really transformed my bike to something I feel safe and secure in (i.e. more composed), and not some machine that's twitchy and handles like it's high on meth.
    Last edited by Peacekeeper6; 07-11-2022 at 07:01 PM.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

25) Show Chrome M14-1.5/M12-1.5 Magnetic Drain Plugs

Difficulty Level - 1.0

Tips - Honestly, if you cannot perform the simple procedure of changing the oil on your bike, you best leave this to someone who can. It’s just a matter of replacing the factory drain plugs which can be easily stripped if you can’t tell the difference between a Torx and an Allen head. I’ve heard of MANY DIYers who have stripped them (lord knows how), so if you are one of them, it behooves you to replace those stockers with these plugs.

BTW, when you install the new magnetic engine oil drain plug, PUT A NEW METAL GASKET IN FIRST. Otherwise, if you put the rubber o-rings first, you’ll end up taking them off again because the metal gasket won’t easily pass through. Don’t ask me how I know ….

Notes: Another great product from Show Chrome. I like the fact that the engine oil drain plug has a magnet to attract any metallic particles that can damage the engine. The stock one does not, which is yet another way of BRP to save money during production. The hex heads are a god send; that means I can just bring my rack of sockets instead of my rack of Torx AND Allen bits. (Just WTH was BRP thinking when designing these simple plugs anyway ??). The positive engagement between the new drain plugs and my socket (if you can, ALWAYS use a 6-point instead of a 12 to reduce the possibility of rounding out the head and stripping them that way) will make oil changes SO MUCH easier, less stressful and a “bit” faster (see what I did there ??).
    Last edited by Peacekeeper6; 07-18-2022 at 02:30 PM.

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

26) Redesigned Turn Signal Button/Shifter Pad by TCBoone and FrogmanDave

Difficulty Level - 0.5 (probably THE easiest mod I've installed)

Tips - Use a small-bladed screwdriver to pop the turn signal button. Gorilla force is not required, but be careful it doesn't pop off and fly past your eyeballs like a TOW missile. I was VERY gingerly prying mine off and it did just that (don't know why). I wanted to see how the old button was situated, so that I know where the hole on the back goes. If you look at the switch tab, there is more room on the top; I surmised that the hole would be on the bottom and I was right. It slid right on.

Before you rip the adhesive thingie off the shifter pad and slap it on, TEST FIT it on the paddle shifter first. You will notice it's not exactly cut to fit the whole area. There will be a .25mm gap around the whole thing, and I think sticking it on this way looks a little better. The ONLY (very minor) complaint I have is I wish both components weren't so shiny and were made with a little flatter black matte color to better match the bike, but I'm just nitpicking here.

Notes: Initial feel indicates that these are worthwhile mods. I didn't get a chance to try them out because it was too cold and windy to ride, but judging from the MANY who have, it's WELL worth it.

Thanks to TCBoone and FrogmanDave in designing such elegantly-simple components which will make a HUGE difference I'm sure.
    Last edited by Peacekeeper6; 04-02-2023 at 11:36 PM. Reason: edit

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

Finally got a chance to test out the Turn Signal Button/Shifter Pad by TCBoone and FrogmanDave during a ride last Saturday.

Turn Signal Button - works great. No more erroneous cancellation of the turn signals and looking like an idiot to other motorists. The safety factor is vastly improved because the button is easily accessible due to its larger size AND I don't have to look down anymore and seeing if I cancelled it. Anytime I can keep my eyes on the road is ALWAYS a good thing.

Shifter Pad - This mod is DA BOMB (that means "wicked good" to those who don't know the modern slang term). I thought about upgrading to the current improved version (the one that gets progressively thicker at the bottom), but I found that with my small hands and short fingers, I was only hitting the top half of the button, which means the newer version isn't going to do jack. The thickness is just right for me, and I found upshifting A LOT easier and a nanosecond faster, since my thumb can easily find the button to fire up faster upshifts. (Those with larger "Sasquatch" hands will definitely benefit with the newer shifter pad, I'm sure).

I believe that this mod wins the coveted easy-to-install/highly-effective Ratio Factor. And the fact that it was inexpensive compared to my other mods is just icing on the cake.
    Last edited by Peacekeeper6; 04-17-2023 at 12:10 PM. Reason: edit

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

Haven't gotten bitten by the Mod Bug this year, LOL.

Need some ideas, folks !!!!

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post

Add a subwoofer and amplifier.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Add a subwoofer and amplifier.
    TBH, I don't find riding while listening to music particularly pleasurable. Too much wind noise for my taste.

Plus, my RLS cat delete and Two Brothers Racing exhaust easily drowns out any music that can come from a sub and amp upgrade, LOL.

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

. And that's why you're ryding sweep------
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I just had a quick look back thru this thread again, and unless I missed it, it looks like you haven't had an ECU Upgrade done yet?? Why on earth not?? Not just a 'Pedal Commander' or 'Power Commander' that enhances your throttle response without changing any if the tuning/power/performance parameters, but a proper ECU Upgrade that removes some of the (needlessly restrictive?? ) power constraints that've been imposed on our Spyders AND improves/enhances the throttle response too - altho if you want to add a Power Commander later just to make things even more responsive....

Go On, DO IT!! You'll be gob-smacked at how much 'nicer' your Spyder becomes to ride when you unleash a bit more of the power your motor was designed to produce, only for it be choked down & significantly restricted apparently because BRP's lawyers feel that responsible & capable riders simply can't trust be trusted with too much of a good thing! And yet with a readily available & proven reliable ECU Upgrade you can access all this extra power and still keep your engine's power output & reliability well within those this same engine puts out on other platforms!!

I know that the 'Stage 1 & 2 Upgrades' that you lot get over there aren't quite the same as the 'fully customised' Upgrades we can get here in Oz, but after my V-Twin powered Spyder's ECU Upgrade, I've found that not only have I got a SHED LOAD of more tire-frying power on tap whenever I want to use it (altho I do try not to do the 'tire frying' thing all the time! ) but when I'm out there cruising and not wringing the throttle to extremes at every gear shift, I get far better fuel economy than most V-Twin Spyders AND quite a few of the 1330 powered Spyders too!!

Not saying that you'd necessarily get the same percentage or even the same sort of improvements from one of the potted upgrades available over there for your Spyder, but I'm pretty sure you'd get a bunch more power on tap; make your Spyder a whole lot more excitable when you twist the throttle hard; a lot more tractable & rideable when you're not so hard on the throttle; and very likely improve your 'cruising' fuel economy to boot! And there's no change in maintenance requirements OR any real risk to your engine/driveline, cos unless you choose to flog it hard ALL the time, or you go custom & extreme with the tune, then you're most likely not going to be anywhere near exceeding the already proven reliable power outputs of these engines when used in other platforms!

You've already got the exhaust end of the upgrade done, why not get the intake end and the computers upgraded too?? . I really doubt you'll ever regret it!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-31-2023 at 07:56 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    . And that's why you're ryding sweep------
    The ONLY position to ride in besides lead.

I don't like having to worry about riders in front of me AND behind me. The problem with being tail gunner is that there's an increased chance of being separated from the group, and are likely to be left behind if the ride leader isn't considerate enough to wait, especially when riding in town where there are many traffic lights.

Which reminds me. When and where is our next ride ????

Last edited by Peacekeeper6; 09-01-2023 at 10:24 AM. Reason: edit

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I just had a quick look back thru this thread again, and unless I missed it, it looks like you haven't had an ECU Upgrade done yet?? Why on earth not?? Not just a 'Pedal Commander' or 'Power Commander' that enhances your throttle response without changing any if the tuning/power/performance parameters, but a proper ECU Upgrade that removes some of the (needlessly restrictive?? ) power constraints that've been imposed on our Spyders AND improves/enhances the throttle response too - altho if you want to add a Power Commander later just to make things even more responsive....

Go On, DO IT!! You'll be gob-smacked at how much 'nicer' your Spyder becomes to ride when you unleash a bit more of the power your motor was designed to produce, only for it be choked down & significantly restricted apparently because BRP's lawyers feel that responsible & capable riders simply can't trust be trusted with too much of a good thing! And yet with a readily available & proven reliable ECU Upgrade you can access all this extra power and still keep your engine's power output & reliability well within those this same engine puts out on other platforms!!

I know that the 'Stage 1 & 2 Upgrades' that you lot get over there aren't quite the same as the 'fully customised' Upgrades we can get here in Oz, but after my V-Twin powered Spyder's ECU Upgrade, I've found that not only have I got a SHED LOAD of more tire-frying power on tap whenever I want to use it (altho I do try not to do the 'tire frying' thing all the time! ) but when I'm out there cruising and not wringing the throttle to extremes at every gear shift, I get far better fuel economy than most V-Twin Spyders AND quite a few of the 1330 powered Spyders too!!

Not saying that you'd necessarily get the same percentage or even the same sort of improvements from one of the potted upgrades available over there for your Spyder, but I'm pretty sure you'd get a bunch more power on tap; make your Spyder a whole lot more excitable when you twist the throttle hard; a lot more tractable & rideable when you're not so hard on the throttle; and very likely improve your 'cruising' fuel economy to boot! And there's no change in maintenance requirements OR any real risk to your engine/driveline, cos unless you choose to flog it hard ALL the time, or you go custom & extreme with the tune, then you're most likely not going to be anywhere near exceeding the already proven reliable power outputs of these engines when used in other platforms!

You've already got the exhaust end of the upgrade done, why not get the intake end and the computers upgraded too?? . I really doubt you'll ever regret it!
    This is likely my next upgrade. I've been hearing good things about it, but need to find out which company is reputable and does quality work.

I'll probably send my ECU after this riding season is over so I won't miss any upcoming rides.

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

Hey Peacekeeper6, I have a mod for you. It took me a while, but it makes my bike a little bit special. I was able to machine bar end blinkers using the stock parts and some aftermarket blinkers.

blinkers.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-03-2024 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Hawk View Post
    Hey Peacekeeper6, I have a mod for you. It took me a while, but it makes my bike a little bit special. I was able to machine bar end blinkers using the stock parts and some aftermarket blinkers.

blinkers.jpg
    That's a cool, tasteful mod.

Too bad I already bought Lamonster's IPS bar ends to bling up my bike, LOL.

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

Tips - Prior to removing the seat, put a piece of cloth on top of the dreaded Black
    Hole in the back to prevent accidentally dropping a nut or bolt into it and never
    seeing it again.
    Ha! Ain't that the truth! My buddy and I spent an hour searching for a screw that jumped out of my hand. He finally found it using his cockpit FOD searching skills that served him well in the USAF. It had ricocheted into a sneaky little crevice and was trying it's best to sabotage an otherwise very satisfying MOD day. We got it though, with dexterity and a magnetic retrieval tool.
    2023 S2S
    Shoei RF-1400 Helmets
    Cardo Freedom 4x comms

Both riders USMC vets
    2023 Sea to Sky , Green Shadow

Spyder Garage

I put the Baha Ron Sway Bar on the wifes 2020 Spyder RTL and she rode it for 3 weeks before asking me when I was gonna find time to install it. Told her it had been on for 3 weeks and she did not notice anything. Did not go well for me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ReRose View Post
    I put the Baha Ron Sway Bar on the wifes 2020 Spyder RTL and she rode it for 3 weeks before asking me when I was gonna find time to install it. Told her it had been on for 3 weeks and she did not notice anything. Did not go well for me.
    I've heard that BRP upgraded their swaybar after 2020, and that installing the Baja Ron swaybar offers a negligible difference.

I've also heard of some who DID install it on their post-2020 Spyders and it improved their handling.

In either case, I just can't wait for the weather to warm up some so that I can "go for a putt" on my RTL, lol.

2002 BMW 325i - his