Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Replace old parts or buy new?

I have a 2009 gs se5. I'm looking at trading it in for a 2019 f3. I love my GS! New to me about 9 months ago. I got new tires. A new coolant reservoir. New brakes.

Looking at new cause I'm pretty sure it needs an alignment. It's not terrible. But the old front left tire was wearing on the outside.

I'm pretty sure it needs vacuum throttle hoses. New air filter. Spark plugs and wire. Maybe muffler gasget.

That equals alot of money.

My question is if maintenance is done like this how much of a life does this model have? I got it at 14000 miles. It's just about at 17000.

When I got work done at mountain motorsports technician commented engine looks good.

Thanks!

Ps. Edit to add. This is my daily ride.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The work you are talking about is just normal maintenance. If you want to up grade to an F3 then yes, now would be the time to do it the difference between the two bike will be like night and day. But if you like what you have then by all means just do the maintenance as needed.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you like your 09 keep it. If an alignment, filter, hose, plugs and gasket are all it needs, that's chump change compared to what it will cost to up grade to the 19 F3. Besides you've only put 3k on it since you bought it. However if $$$$ is not a question, go for it, get the 19. By the way, don't forget to include a possible valve adjustment on the 09. That expense may help you make a decision.

Spyder Garage

17000 miles is just getting started on a Spyder. How many miles have people rolled onto GS or RS models before they were at the end?

Spyder Garage

IMO, 3k miles...9 months...I'd say you could probably ryde it for another 10 years
    I'm guessing that you've already put in about $1k or less, and the additional "stuff" you need would probably be same or close.
    Your money, your call.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I ride a 2013 STS with the 998 engine. In my opinion the engine and drive train are a bullet proof setup that will last for many more years and miles.
    I have 18,000 trouble free miles. Looking to add more miles of smiles this coming year.
    Last spring I performed the maintenance you listed. Not really expensive although I do most of my own service work. Bought most of my parts from BaJa Ron one of our site vendors.
    IMO the laser alignment is one of the best service items for comfort and safety. I'm sure most ryders will agree alignment is needed on all Spyders.
    As for the expense of a valve adjustment ??? Most who have had the valves checked reported no adjustment needed. I plan to run until 50,000 miles and then decide if the adjustment is warranted.
    You have a fine machine that if cared for will last for years to come.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

I almost bought a 2010 RS that same red/black color scheme back in 2013, but seller reneged when he thought he had a better deal with another buyer (who never showed up, I later learned).... I bought a 2012 solid black RS with 800 miles on it from original owner in Baton Rouge instead, and love it! I much prefer the RS(S) line (and RT's and RTS's), the F3's and "Riker" just look like Ughhh! to me at least. You already love your GS, this is just normal maintenance stuff (you can learn to do it yourself for a lot less btw) and you'll spend A LOT more on a bike you may find you like a lot less (since you already love your GS). Just saying.....

- Michael

Spyder Garage

wow! thank you all for the feedback and food for thought.

I was tasting a new 2019 --- then from reading these responses and talking to a few friends - I'm leaning more towards the maintenace, a few additions (sway bar) and a few LED lights. I'm not that concerned about the valve adjustment after reading a few long threads about that. my only concern would be if clutch is showing wear. I was manually downshifting - then switched over to using the brake - in stop & go traffic this seems to be a better approach. I dont hear valve ticks - she purrs nice and downshifts good when I use the brake.

my low milage is because I mainly just go to work 5 days a week - work is 5.5 miles away. I haven't had time to enjoy the georgia mountains or even close by park by the lake.

my father used to restore antique cars - now that I know this machine is known to go for a good amount of miles. I'm taking that meantalitiy my dad had with car restoration into this GS. I was always around a garage with my dad & know my way around a garage enough to be dangerous. not comfortable enough or have all the tools needed just yet to take this Spyder apart too much. I'm sure that will come with time. since I was younger I always took things apart - just because.

I really appreciate the replies. I'll be sure to update.

Spyder Garage

I'm gonna bet you'll do just fine. The nice thing about these models is that you can afford to bling them out to make them your own, the reflectors can be replaced with LED lighted reflectors and all sorts of other lights added and saddle-bags if you need more space (and the frunk is really the largest of any Spyder model already, I've carried a 31lbs bag of dog food home from Walmart in mine many times!). The RT and RTS models come equipped nicer from factory and later ones have the 3-cylinder inline ACE engine and 6 speed tranny, but they cost WAY more by the time you pay for them you're near to broke! LOL! The RSS models have a few factory upgrades to suspension but they cost more again and you can make similar upgrades to your RS or GS (they are the same machine) if you like. Upgrade your seat to a BRP Comfort Seat if you haven't already it looks a lot more stylish and is in fact more comfortable. I'm thinking of trying a Hindle muffler, but not sure if I want mine that much louder honestly... DO UPGRADE YOUR AIR FILTER TO A K&N oil/cotten AIR FILTER ASAP that makes a big difference in how the engine runs I was impressed with the change; toss that restrictive paper filter in the garbage!

I also found adding just a 1 inch spacer under the handlebars made steering a lot easier and less stressful riding on my arms, I'm 5'10" and it moved my body angle back just a little bit made a huge difference as well (the spacers can be found on Ebay, on here too probably IDK).

And above all, enjoy the ride!

- Michael

Spyder Garage

I had the same 09 GS and it had 35,000 when I traded for a 2015 F3. I,d keep it a couple years unless you got a Lot of spare change.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

not a lot of spare change. this GS is paid in full - taking on a payment wasnt something I was looking forward to. is why I posted here to figure if wiser to trade in now for a hassle free new - or if worth it to put a few bucks to keep this a reliable running Spyder.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I had the same 09 GS and it had 35,000 when I traded for a 2015 F3. I,d keep it a couple years unless you got a Lot of spare change.

Spyder Garage

With that kind of background, with tools, you should be able to do most Spyder maintenance on your own ... at very reasonable cost. There are many RS/GS videos online that cover most things: oil changes, tire changes, spark and air filter changes, sway bars, etc. and etc. There are also good vendors who sponsor the site, with quality products for our Spyders... support them. As long as you are enjoying your ride, maintain it and get not only value but smiles out of it for miles/years to come. Until it frustrates you or something else turns your head, you can start putting dollars aside to use at the point you choose to move on. I think of changing at times, but also don't want a monthly payment when I own mine outright. I enjoy it very much, even if the newer Spyders have improved (as does most everything as model years go forward). I plan to keep mine for a long, long time. Whenever tempted, I revisit the bank account and think, "Yup, a long time yet...." Have a blast on 3 wheels!

Spyder Garage

I bought the 2012 Spyder RS-S 5 months ago, and I have not looked back, I cant wait for the two wheelers to be sold to get room in the shop in fact.

I did the perf upgrades on my RS-S, and my trike is all the kick ass I need, I can hold 75 on any grade, and I can get the rear tire to let loose pretty much any time I want, so I am more than happy with the way the bike responded to the Power Commander 5, the CNC Air Intake, the Two Brothers Exhaust, and the Amsoil Synthetic oil change. I also did the Baja Ron Sway Bar and Bar Ends, and the Baja Ron NGK Plug and Wire Kit too. This Can Am runs like a raped ape. I just pulled the ECU, and I will be shipping that out for a re-flash (the Monster Tune), and I cant wait to get it back.

I am good friends with the lead mechanic at an active Can Am dealer up north, and he assures me that the 998 V-twin is used in a range of BRP vehicles, so it has a long history of power and reliability. He said its just like the Ski-Doo Snowmobiles we worked on together, keep up your maintenance, and these machines will last a life time.

After the perf upgrades, my numbers are the the same range or above the stock F3-S numbers, so why spend the extra money? I love my RS-S.

I am actually shopping for a second 998 set up for guest riders to take out when they visit. I really have no need to get a 1330 since there are so many AFFORDABLE DEALS on the 998's out there right now. And its not even spring yet in most states.

Fired Up and Idling.jpg
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

Just to add some longevity info on these engines, here in Australia with all our looong distances and wide open spaces, there are quite a few 998 powered Spyders that've really only scored their basic maintenance stuff running around having covered close to 100,000 miles, some even a fair bit more!!

I don't personally know of anyone who's hit 200,000 miles yet, but I'm pretty sure it'll happen, and probably in the relatively near future too!

So Claire, if you like your GS, I wouldn't worry too much about it - just do the maintenance & go for it!

Ride More, & Worry Less!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

A quick update: this week I got an oil change & laser alignment.

K&N filter oil kit from bajaron and Amsoil

the alignment! WOAH. It feels like power steering on steriods now.
    this whole time it felt like I was steering a Mack truck.
    now with alignment - it smoothed out the ride besides easier & better handling.
    I hit the highway and was doing 70mph in a min not feeling a bit of vibration like before.

then I took a detour through a state park called Red Top Mountain. it has a 5 mile road of good twisties. amazing the difference! it was afternoon on a weekday - no one else on the road. I gave the new power steering a test

the owner of the garage suggested I rev up to 6500 rpms to feel the power of the engine in my bike (I usually change gears at 5200) - is exactly I did when I first got on the highway. he also showed me the throttle body lines and they are in good shape.

in the mean time my right mirror came loose more than it has been. it has duct tape on it now LOL something to add to the list.

I added rear LEDs from tricledusa.com but it seems like a module was not working properly. so tricled is sending out a new light kit.

thank you for the newest posts - all great feedback!

Spyder Garage

The original RS with the 998 cc motor is a blast. I still enjoy mine a great deal. I'm glad you stuck with it. You will get many miles of smiles from it and your wallet will appreciate it as well!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Added tricled rear brake/ turn lights.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

And tell us about alignment in more detail. What is it? The dealer does? I have a feeling that the power steering does not work, although there is no malfunction on the instrument panel. Maybe it's the setup.
    We are Russians, God be with us!

Spyder Garage

I also have a 2009 RS SE5, red and black also, and I have had it for 3 years now. It has been great to ride and runs great. Enjoy the ride, and feel free to post photos and ride reports.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

VLADI, the power steering isn't full-time, it's on demand as needed when the bike is running down the road (sitting still idling, you won't feel the DPS unit doing anything if you turn the handlebars back and forth and this is by design). A bad alignment will make them harder to steer though (and reduce the life of your tires!). Finally if there is any problem with the power steering DPS unit you will get an error code on screen if I recall correctly. So more than likely, you could use a good laser alignment. I've no idea how you would find someone in Russia to do that though, maybe go ask a dealer if they know who has the laser alignment system near you?

Also I found that a handlebar riser block only 1" tall made a huge difference in relieving the pressure on my arms while riding, at 5'10" tall it put me in the proper position to ride such that I wasn't leaning on the handlebar so hard, and made steering a lot easier as a result (my arms were fighting each other when I was steering at the stock handlebar height).

- Michael

Spyder Garage

This is awesome to know! I just paid $1.00 for a 09 GS SE5 with 31,000 miles on it. It has some serious sun damage and the cluster gauage is pretty foggy. On the other hand, I have every single maintenance report on it, brand new tires and I just stripped it down to paint it in the coming weekend. I also ordered the RLS Punisher Series Exhaust for it and I look forward to having it for years to come. Once I learn how to do my own maintenance (oil changes, spark plugs etc) I will be a very happy camper.. Any tips from more experienced Spyder ryders on doing all of the maintenance while I have it stripped down?

Spyder Garage

$1 US Dollar? Just how did you get that sweetheart deal?

- Michael

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michael211_2000 View Post
    $1 US Dollar? Just how did you get that sweetheart deal?

- Michael
    A good friend of mine bought a 2018 F3 and was selling his 09 GS SE5, no offers and it just sat in the parking lot. I was getting ready to PCS and he asked if I wanted it, he wanted to give it to me for free so we just threw a dollar on the title All things considered his wife (Retired MAJ) he is a CW5 so I guess for them it wasn't that big of a deal to just give it away! We used to ride together in Hawaii and I sold my Cruiser before I left, we ended up at the same duty station a year later! Now I'm learning all I can about it so I can do the majority of the work myself.

Spyder Garage

Well now that is some Cool Beans!!! Leaves you plenty of room to spruce it up and make as many upgrades as you'd like... would sure make a great YouTube series of videos showing how you go about bringing this jewel back from the brink. Think about it!

- Michael

Spyder Garage

This is awesome to know! I just paid $1.00 for a 09 GS SE5 with 31,000 miles on it. It has some serious sun damage and the cluster gauage is pretty foggy. On the other hand, I have every single maintenance report on it, brand new tires and I just stripped it down to paint it in the coming weekend. I also ordered the RLS Punisher Series Exhaust for it and I look forward to having it for years to come. Once I learn how to do my own maintenance (oil changes, spark plugs etc) I will be a very happy camper.. Any tips from more experienced Spyder ryders on doing all of the maintenance while I have it stripped down?
    Get er done now. I highly recommend the Xenon Light kit from BRP, there are a few left on the FleaBay site for 200ish dollars, and they are selling them for around 250 on HotSpyderAccesories.com. The change in lighting is amazing. I am serious, my LED driving lights are going on the Trumpy, I DO NOT NEED THEM on the Can Am now, I will not miss them at all, my night riding test last night went amazingly well, the LED's are coming off. Why stress the charging system, and more charge return for ignition equals better power. If I keep them I need a switch, but with the lumens I am getting off the Xenons? I really no longer need them. I did the power commander 5, the JT Spyder Store Air Intake, and the Two brothers single exhaust, and man does this trike scream.....I did boards and a top box and such, but it came with the saddle bags, and I ride with cameras a lot so the top box made sense.

Anyway, after 6 months, I am never selling my RS-S, its that fun, not selling it...period. I want the new RT Touring machine too, but I am keeping my RS-S. It's a freaking hoot.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black