Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RTL in Asphalt Gray for me and my spouse

Well the wife and I did it too.

Well, at least we will on Thursday when we take delivery.

I posted up some skepticism about the new bike in another thread, but those doubts were removed once I rode it. To me it is a much better riding machine. Enough of an improvement that I pulled the trigger on one. Smoother, better handling, excellent ride qualities over rough pavement, just all around better.

That's the good, now the so-so.

Yes, the rear end was misaligned just like all of the other 2020's. (I've seen 4 of them at 2 different dealers.) The dealer (Fred Cummings Motorsports in Bakersfield) was not aware of the problem either and will be contacting BRP either Monday or Tuesday for advice. However, it won't stop me from taking delivery of the bike because I feel pretty confident that it'll be fixed in time, just not right away.

Also, another misalignment issue that I haven't read about before is the rider's seat. The dealer is going to try to see what they can do about that before I take delivery on Thursday, and perhaps another issue to be raised with BRP. They had 2 fully assembled 2020 RTLs and both had these 2 misalignment issues.

For those of you looking at or buying the 2020's: look closely at the rider's seat and look at the gap between the seat and body panel on the gas filler side and the gap on the non filler side (right vs left hand sides). They were not evenly spaced and the seat would not latch without a firm push (and I mean FIRM) on the seat latching side. When pushing that firmly I noticed the plastic seat pan is actually deforming slightly to make the seat latch close. I also noticed that the hinges were not aligned properly either. This could be related to the misaligned subframe or just an assembly error. I'll post up what comes back from the dealer.

On that note. I posted in another thread that the dealer assembly is easy peasy and quick. Well, apparently that was incorrect and is dated information. According to the dealer the new 2020's come pretty much in big pieces and the dealer assembly is quite involved. I have to wonder if BRP is only partially assembling the bikes at the factory and leaving the final assembly to the dealers to handle? $$$$ saved by BRP and passed along to their dealers?

Also, other note from the dealer is that we wanted the shorter reach bars, which is shown on the public website. However, the dealer parts and accessory computer system has not been updated and shows nothing available for the 2020's yet. Yet another dealer call to BRP.

BUT, I'm not going to end this post on a downer, or seemingly negative note. To me, the 2020 is just about a home run for BRP. To my way of thinking, a few minor niggles keep it from being a homerun and making it a solid triple. Get it? Triple. HAHAHA
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting. We will be looking forward to hearing about that first 1000 miles.

Your comments about getting the glitches fixed are right on. The way the 2020's are selling, regardless of a few glitches, it will behoove BRP to get the fixes done in a timely manner. I would say the ball is in BRP's court.

A real chance for BRP to get some better publicity.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...sues-explained

Watch this video in the first post on this thread. It will explain a few things. Very informative.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Mine will be blue. Pick up is Wednesday. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I'm still waiting for my anthracite grey in black version. The ETA is undetermined.
    I'm starting to get a little frustrated..................................
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Mine will be blue. Pick up is Wednesday. Tom
    Looking forward to your first impressions, Tom

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

We are rockin 4 of them. 2 prototype and 2 production models. Fun! I’m liking all of them! I really like my prototype RT base model. Fast, fun, lively! The production models are great, but the base model, no top box, lets me see folks behind me. All good! I can’t wait to see Marsala Red! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I can’t stress enough; come ride this ! I am loving it! It is smooth, fast, comfortable, quick, and solid. I’m not one to praise things I’m not sure of. While I don’t have the miles SpyderAnn does, I do have 10’s of thousands on these. This one is my favorite, hands down! It fits, it’s quick, and solid on the freeway. Next week, I’m going to ride 500 miles in a shot. Why? To proof my theory. I hope to hit bad weather, wind, rain, yuck! Why? That’s how we roll! They picked us for a reason. We don’t pull punches. We ride. We ride 30K a year. Every year, for the last 10 years! We love these things, and are all up in
    This community. The 2020 RT is the best yet! If you have a passenger , get the LTD. if not, the STD is quite good. I’m hoping you like it too! coming from 2 wheels. The Frunk is massive! Add saddlebags; you have plenty! I’m sure I’ll want to ditch my wing after this tour! I love my Wing! 57k in 22 months! Now, I am on an RT. Sweet!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hmmm, having met you and Spyder Ann, we didn't talk about your Wing, so I'm glad you're making a comparison. I'm in the same boat, my Wing/Road Smith conversion vs the 2020 RTL, so I'm subscribed. I'm gonna make pretty dang sure in my mind that the 2020 RTL is one for me before I write the big check and take the $ blood bath on GW three wheeler. With your input, and Shan Smoake's You Tubes, I'm getting some good positive information.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Congrats.

Spyder Garage
    2020 RTL SE6

Spyder Garage

We were very impressed with the 2020 RT from our test ride.
    Something to consider if you prefer the look of the standard, but may have a passenger- the limited can easily be converted to the standard, but with the standard to add the top box it will only be available in black and no heated passenger grips.
    The best value would be getting the limited with it's color matched top box and heated passenger grips
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    I was deciding between the chalk and the asphalt gray. I've ridden the asphalt gray and only seen a few pictures of the chalk. After watching this video, I think I'm going with the chalk.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I was deciding between the chalk and the asphalt gray. I've ridden the asphalt gray and only seen a few pictures of the chalk. After watching this video, I think I'm going with the chalk.
    It looks much better in person than it does in the web site.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Ask your dealer if he has one on order.
    I got the only one my dealer got in.
    The others will be in March.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

It's funny, but my dealer said they didn't order any base models and none in chalk white. They made the decision based on their sale experience that neither would be good sellers. I disagree, at least as far as white is concerned because that was my first choice of colors. However, after seeing the asphalt gray color with the black trim I really liked it and thought it was a classy color.
    2020 RTL SE6

Spyder Garage

Out with the old and in with the new. Mixed feeling for sure, but I fully expect the new one will be every bit as good as the old one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 RTL SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I went with Chalk. Pick it up this afternoon. My First Spyder.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk White

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

The chalk is my favorite color so far, but I’m looking forward to seeing the red!

Barb is going to love her new ride! After riding the 2020 for two weeks we had to ride a 19 and boy did I hate it!

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

All good points, I will have to check out your comment: "the rear end was misaligned just like all of the other 2020's", to see if that is an issue on mine (I guess I assume it would be). I plan to go on a short ride today on the Spyder to get some fresh air.
    2020 Limited , Petrol Metallic