Spyder Garage

Default Is my Zumo 590 GPS Dead? Won't turn on?

My Zumo won't go on even if in the cradle on the Spyder or plugged in to the computer or cell phone charger. Is this indicative of just a completely dead battery or something far greater, as in dead, dead, dead?

Spyder Garage

Have you called Garmin to ask them? The techs are very helpful. FWIW, about two years into my 590 use I began getting a low battery warning after a long day of riding using the device. A Garmin tech had me charge the battery overnight using my desktop computer for two consecutive nights but it would not take more than about 2/3 of a charge so they replaced the battery under warranty and I've had no problem since. Touch wood.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Have you called Garmin to ask them? The techs are very helpful. FWIW, about two years into my 590 use I began getting a low battery warning after a long day of riding using the device. A Garmin tech had me charge the battery overnight using my desktop computer for two consecutive nights but it would not take more than about 2/3 of a charge so they replaced the battery under warranty and I've had no problem since. Touch wood.
    Usually, when I connect the 590 to the computer to charge, I get a symbol that it is charging. Now I am getting just a black screen. Will put it on the computer to charge overnight and see if anything changes.

Spyder Garage

I may have found the problem. Removed the SD card which, apparently had gone bad. Plugged it in to charge, and, it started charging. We'll know for certain tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

FWIW, the 590/95 battery connector is known for bad contact. There are utube vids on how to fix(expand) the contacts. When my 595 shows low battery even after being on the cradle all day, I pull the battery and lick the plug and plug back in. Magically the battery then show 3/4+ charge and works thru a lunch re-route.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    FWIW, the 590/95 battery connector is known for bad contact. There are utube vids on how to fix(expand) the contacts. When my 595 shows low battery even after being on the cradle all day, I pull the battery and lick the plug and plug back in. Magically the battery then show 3/4+ charge and works thru a lunch re-route.
    Yep those connectors are a terrible design. I go a new battery for my 590 thinking the old one was dud before I worked out what the actual issue was.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Licked it!!!! Yuck, how'd it taste!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Licked it!!!! Yuck, how'd it taste!!!
    Try it Mikey! You might be “shocked” with the acidic taste

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Try it Mikey! You might be “shocked” with the acidic taste
    At the very least, you'd probably get a bit of a tingle out of it, maybe it'd even light you up a bit?!?

There again, if you're already a bit of a bright spark, it might work the other way?!?

Should I go on, or has that been enough to charge your enthusiasm!

Sorry, but I just hadta do it!! She made me.... all that spinning was generating such a buzz
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    I may have found the problem. Removed the SD card which, apparently had gone bad. Plugged it in to charge, and, it started charging. We'll know for certain tomorrow.
    VICTORY! This morning, the Zumo was fully charged and I was able to move all my data over to it from the computer. It was a bad SD card. What caused it to go bad or why it caused the Zumo not to even go on, I haven't a clue. Someone with more computer knowledge then me may be able to explain it. In any event, I will now have either a new battery in it or a spare on the shelf. And RayBJ, I didn't even have to lick it.

Spyder Garage

Glad you solved it Baron!
    I know how silly it sounds but the lick trick has worked many times. I spread the pins but even then, connection is sometimes flakey and I don't want to invest in a new battery when this one is fine. File it under, "Who'da thunk"!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Spyder Garage

Changed out the SD card and charged the Zumo using the old battery. 6 days later, battery still at full charge. Definitely a bad SD card that was discharging the battery. Now have a new battery on standby.

Spyder Garage

Excellent! Thanks for the follow-up to verify the cause.