Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    Kill switch... done that, rather embarrassing...
    My wife did just that this last Sunday. Stop to gas up and I was on my bike, her the Spyder. I had pulled out to leave and she came over the intercom, its not doing anything! Checked neutral yes, brake on yes, yada yada, no start, I pulled up and flipped the kill switch, said K yer good to go. I hear mumbling through the intercom...
    MrBill
    Las Cruces, NM
    Got Chile? Red or Green?
    2015 Spyder RT
    1980 Suzuki GS750ET, still scares me!

Spyder Garage

MrBill, Ha yea-was hoping for same. As mentioned I’m afraid dealer prep may be in play. The RT arrived the Monday before I took delivery and was initially told it wouldn’t be done until next Tuesday (lack of a qualified tech). Upon my objection dealer said he’d “call in a favor” from another store to borrow a tech. In retrospect, should I have waited...naaah. Anyhow playing waiting game until tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

I'm a plus one for dealer prep. My RTL came to me low on coolant and missing the rear shock centralizer bushings. Spyderpops noticed my rear shock offset to the side when he aligned my bike. Sealer told me it came from the factory that way.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

So sorry to hear. I hope your problem is quickly resolved. I pick up my new 2020 RTL from Sierra Cycles this Saturday. My 2015 RTL was completely trouble free and I hope the new one is as well.

Please keep us in the loop!

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

I'm not going to say it's dealer prep, it could be, but doubtful. The Spyders I've seen in the crate from the factory are almost completely assembled. The only thing the dealer had to do was windshield, battery, and front tires. A quick air and fluid check and away you go. Assembly at the dealership is kept to a minimum to reduce their costs and to reduce the chance of error by the minimum wage monkey who puts things together.

Now. I'll grant you that was years ago, but I doubt much has changed. Things like shock bushings etc are solely the responsibility of the manufacturer IMO.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

So what is the outcome? Sounds to me like a bad solenoid on the starter or loose connection on the solenoid itself. I assume the starter has a solenoid. Starter is not getting full amperage to start. This is the first thing I would check. If it started fine and you rode it earlier something has come loose in the starter area. Maybe it was only finger tight at factory or dealer and never tightened. Something between the batterie and the starter is loose. I would not suspect anything else at this point.
    Hope this helps.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Wow! Missing coolant& bearings! And I may have met the dealer from Sierra Vista at a bike show: liked him and made me wish he was much closer to me. The dealer and factory rep that happened to be on site last week said setup time is “about 4 hours” because they check/inspect “about 150 items.” (Hmmm, me thinks some were missed.)
    Jaherbst, Great question! Am scheduled to have a tech this afternoon too solve mystery. Will advise!

Spyder Garage

Default Got New RT...mystery solved

Hi All! Just picked up RT (second time). “Official” word why RT wouldn’t start last weekend: “Found that nut for positive cable on starter was loose as well as the secondary post for additional ground.” Apparently, there were two loose connections.

Woohoo it starts!! Part of the puzzle was the dash showing “1” but yet it rolled and thus in neutral. Anyhow, much happier miles ahead. Thanks for group input/feedback.

Spyder Garage

Good! Loose connections are easier than bad parts! Glad it’s fixed!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SCWSpyder View Post
    ...“Official” word why RT wouldn’t start last weekend: “Found that nut for positive cable on starter was loose as well as the secondary post for additional ground.” Apparently, there were two loose connections...
    That sounds like an assembly line problem. Unless they've changed it the VIN sticker on the swing arm shows only the month and year of manufacture so you can't tell if it was a Monday or Friday bike.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Glad you got your bike back and it's ready to go.I know BRP only pays up to $200 dollars on a tow and I don't know why.If it was a new car the manufacturer would pay the whole tow bill and the Spyder is the price of a car.Should be no out of pocket expense for the owner.I would call the dealer and insist that they reimburse all the money you spent and they can go after BRP
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Spyder Garage

I had the same experience with AAA in fact they hung up on me when I question them on the no motorcycle policy. As luck would have it I also belong to the AMA and if you buy a three year membership Towing comes with the membership.They came to the rescue and got me back on the road.....

Spyder Garage

Ex Winger, Thanks for input. I returned to dealer this morning and approached them with the idea that they (the dealer) did nothing wrong in setup but that BRP should cover their error in assembly. Short story: Service Mgr agreed to credit me 2 hours for any future labor/repairs. Thanx again for idea.
    And AMA I had forgotten about even though I am a member! There is a AAA office right down from my neighborhood and will see them next.