Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Got new RT but ...

Hi All! Took delivery finally last Friday of my ‘20 RT Limited. Woohoo! Take wife on ride Sunday to Canyon Lake, stop for gas, and...she no starts. WTF? Battery seemed ok. Called AAA for a jump (they don’t cover motorcycles unless have Premier coverage BTW). So $425 later it’s in my garage 74 miles away. Dealer just called saying battery checked ok and now I have to wait until Thursday before a Spyder tech is available to check it out. Aaarrrrg! And roadside assistance was “challenging” without warranty cards (it’s takes 4 to 6 weeks to receive). Submitted a claim for $200 max reimbursed tow bill. Doooo! On a positive note, the spyder got 32 mpg, up from the first tank’s 28. When I did start procedure, it just would make a single click (tow driver said that means it the starter ? ). Here’s hoping for better luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had to replace the battery in my 2018 about 7 months after I got it. It kept failing to start and when I got home I put it on a charger. What finally made me get a new one was I came home from a 112 mile ride and two days later it wouldn't start. I figure the dealers do not prep the batteries completely. they fill and install and let the customer have it. The battery should ne filled then charged slowly for more than a day before installing into bike. Good Luck.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Flame winger, Thanks-the dealer put the battery through Can Am’s battery test and it checked good. Was hoping for something simple, but not this time. Bummer...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SCWSpyder View Post
    Hi All! Took delivery finally last Friday of my ‘20 RT Limited. Woohoo! Take wife on ride Sunday to Canyon Lake, stop for gas, and...she no starts. WTF? Battery seemed ok. Called AAA for a jump (they don’t cover motorcycles unless have Premier coverage BTW). So $425 later it’s in my garage 74 miles away. Dealer just called saying battery checked ok and now I have to wait until Thursday before a Spyder tech is available to check it out. Aaarrrrg! And roadside assistance was “challenging” without warranty cards (it’s takes 4 to 6 weeks to receive). Submitted a claim for $200 max reimbursed tow bill. Doooo! On a positive note, the spyder got 32 mpg, up from the first tank’s 28. When I did start procedure, it just would make a single click (tow driver said that means it the starter ? ). Here’s hoping for better luck.
    How much experience do you have with motorcycles in general and Spyder in particular? Just wondering if it's something as simple as the kill switch.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can only hope this is driver error, not a good note for a 2020 RTL, but we shall see.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    How much experience do you have with motorcycles in general and Spyder in particular? Just wondering if it's something as simple as the kill switch.
    He would not have heard a "click" if it was the kill switch.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Congrats, hope you get a quick fix. Keep us posted and welcome.

Spyder Garage

Ouch, sorry to hear about this. Please do keep us all posted.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Yes will post as “plot thickens.” And yes have ridden, competed, and commuted for years. First thing tow driver asked was if kill switch was “killed” (it wasn’t as there’s no particular need for it in the 3 days RT’s been used). Also positive is wife quite enjoyed ride; she’ll probably enjoy it more when the armrests come in. Strangely, it was delivered saying Can Am “releases accessories later.” Hmmm...seems like someone forgot to order. But at least got to ride last weekend!

Spyder Garage

Ride Now Powersports could be your problem. I believe your battery was not fully charged by the dealer.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Exclamation Dealer prep????

I had a similar problem shortly after purchasing my . The "fine" dealer had replaced the battery with a no name battery--- which failed to start only a few months after purchase. The dealer was close to where I was stranded and a tech came out to jump it, which was when we found out the battery was not OEM. I was just a little HOT. It was replaced with a properly set up Yasua.

SO---- POOR dealer prep could be the cause. Loose battery terminals could be a simple fix. Hope you get it fixed soonest.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Dudley, Ha that’s what I’d hoped for. Service writer used Can Am “smart charger” and battery checked good. Of course, Ride Now may still be my problem.

Spyder Garage

You do not describe any of the symtoms of your Spyders do not start condition. So the possible causes are huge.

Most common reason for a no start for new drivers of Spyder is that it was left in gear when the ignition was turned off. So to start you need to have your foot on the brake to allow the starter to operate.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Lew, I removed the battery cover and both terminals were tight. If memory serves, the battery was black with white print, possibly Yuasa. What was peculiar was the battery hold down clamp (with the rubber strap) was loose and the clamp sort of hanging half-way off. Didn’t seem too much of issue as battery was mounted pretty tight. I suppose that joins the as-delivered tire pressures (33 rear, 26 front) as a “questionable item.”

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your troubles hope things are resolved quickly
    2020 RT LIMITED (Dark) , Caulk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    He would not have heard a "click" if it was the kill switch.
    That is incorrect. There will not be a click if it is the kill switch. When all the conditions are not met for start, kill switch position or brake pedal not pressed, nothing will happen when the start button is pressed.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Billybovine, Not much to tell. Stop engine, fill tank, do restart procedure which after albeit only 3 days was fairly set. Yes brake was on, yes to mode button, yes to neutral (since was in N when turned key off). Sooo...tank full and nothing except a faint click. It took a while for me to hear that with all the bikes running around. Windshield returned to position, horn worked, dash worked, etc etc., but never would crank over. Oooiiiiii!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SCWSpyder View Post
    Lew, I removed the battery cover and both terminals were tight. If memory serves, the battery was black with white print, possibly Yuasa. What was peculiar was the battery hold down clamp (with the rubber strap) was loose and the clamp sort of hanging half-way off. Didn’t seem too much of issue as battery was mounted pretty tight. I suppose that joins the as-delivered tire pressures (33 rear, 26 front) as a “questionable item.”
    It's possible that the other (frame) end of the battery ground is loose. That was the case with my wife's RTL. You said the dealer checked the battery but was it load tested or simply checked for voltage?
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Kill switch... done that, rather embarrassing...
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

BTW, yes the kill switch when depressed, would eliminate the “click.” And yes it was correct run position.

Spyder Garage

Arian, Yes load tested per “Can Am smart tester.” Loose ground wire sounds like good suggestion!

Spyder Garage

Will keep an eye out here. Please keep us posted. BS with a brand new 2020 dream machine is not getting off to a good start.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

AR, Yeah...bummin hard over it. Later.

Spyder Garage

This is crazy. A couple of day old, right off the showroom floor, Spyder doe not start? My vote goes to dealer prep....
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I have mentioned it in another thread...but...

The 2020 RT represents a new design from BRP. Now, all the dealers will have to up their assembly games and learn a newly designed machine. Even though it still has the 1330 engine...it probably requires some different assembly procedures. For some, this may be a challenge.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red