Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Why Did YOU Choose Ryker Over Spyder?

I've owned a Spyder F3-T for about 3 years, and still don't feel totally comfortable on it after more than 15,000 miles. I've swapped seats, etc. but I still get painful cramps in my hips on occasion after 45 minutes to an hour of riding. I think that the sitting position of the F3 simply doesn't "fit" my basic body type and perhaps never will. I've sat on an RT as well, and it was even worse for me.

Last spring, I remember sitting on a stock Ryker at the local dealership, and noticed right away that my legs weren't splayed as wide as on the F3-T meaning that it was more comfy for my hips than I expected. So, here I am contemplating, during the "off" season, whether or not to trade my F3-T for a Ryker come this spring.

For those of you who switched from a Spyder to a Ryker, what was YOUR reasoning behind making the move? Was it comfort or something else? I know that a Ryker will need to be fitted with some options that come standard on an F3 (like a windshield), but that wouldn't necessarily bother me.

I'm interested in hearing of both positive and negative experiences from anyone who has made the switch.

Thanks!
    Bert
    Bert

Spyder Garage

I think you should consider what you might be losing going to the Ryker. Do you carry much cargo on the F3, do you overnight on the F3...etc...My wife loves her Ryker, but once the weather turns colder, she rides on the back of the RT with me since the Ryker offers very little wind protection. I would consider long and hard. My wife has mentioned trading the Ryker for an F3. Maybe we could work a deal. She has about 4k miles on it.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

the Ryker is more a "one for all" .. we (only 300 lbs together !) ryde in the Alps and on the italian coast ..10.000 miles now and still more fun than with the 40.000 miles on our old RT/GS !!
    (we where both "bikers" .. the Ryker is "nearer" to a Motorcycle)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMLp3N-R79M
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

I have both F3 and Ryker and the F3 seat (To Me) is Much more comfortable than the Comfort seat on my Ryker. The Ryker for my backroad zooming is Much more Motorcycle feel than the Power Assisted F3 steering. My F3 can do the backroads just as quick as the Ryker and be more comfortable doing it BUT the Ryker makes you more ONE with the machine! I will keep both as I'm 71 and need a spare?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Hi newbert I had a Spyder rs for 14 months . We enjoyed it and it was 10yrs old . We decided on a new Ryker , because of the following . No final drive belt ( shaft is safer ) fully auto , lighter, lower , and I have always liked bar end mirrors , fly by wire , and it's got the usual safety features , no power steering but it's no big deal , easer to maintain , I can inflate tires easy , especially the rear . Reverse is not such a performance , yes we like it . Regards Nico 75 ( my age )

Spyder Garage

I got a Ryker since I will mostly ride on weekends, when its nice weather, around 2 hour on country roads. If I was more inclined for long distance touring I would surely be better off with a Spyder.
    One day perhaps I will be able to own both a Ryker and a Spyder, mmm.... how is that for a life goal?

Spyder Garage

Due to physical limitations I couldn’t get my leg over a Spyder. The Ryker is perfect.
    2022 RT , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I'm a truck driver so I'm only home about a week every month. I got the Ryker as something fun to run around on as a replacement for my car. As the wife has a nice car for us and the kids. Plus I have a neck and shoulder injury that keeps me from riding traditional bikes. I did look at a Spyder but I fell in love with the simplicity and sportiness of the Ryker. I am most likely going to get a Spyder in the next year or so but I will not get rid of my Ryker. I have way to much fun on it.
    2019 Rally , Black with red panels

Spyder Garage

I wanted the three wheeler and the Ryker fit my bill. I can park my Ryker and my car in the garage, together. No can do with the Spyder. Also, the price difference was appealing. I bought the 600 and am happy with it. Tops out at 80+, which I don't do often. The Ryker makes me smile and I like that.

Spyder Garage

I did the 2 day training on an F3-S and was prepared to finally pull the trigger on one when the Ryker came out.I wasn't crazy about them because of my wanting an F3 for so long...but then I took the Ryker for a ride.
    The CVT tranny pulling from 0 - woohoo! sold me on the Ryker. I also love the lightweight and the lower-to-the-ground feel of it.

Spyder Garage

I didn't . Chose it in addition to Spyder. Spyder RTS is for traveling, Ryker Rally is for 'dual sporting'.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

Big difference for me was the cost.. I just puled the trigger on a used rally and the cost of any f3 that I could find within a few hours ride was at least $3-4K more expensive. THe F3 would also be older, mostly likely a 2015, and out of warranty.

Other factors that made me choose the ryker were:
    Shaft Drive
    Simpler - less stuff to break
    Simpler - easier to maintain
    Looks - purely subjective but the ryker looks have grown on me and i prefer how it looks to the f3

Now the weather needs to clear up - I have had it for 8 days and it has either snowed or rained everyday since i picked it up. Stupid Ohio Weather!

Spyder Garage

Actually I never considered a Spyder, it was just too big and cumbersome (for me); even after a wrist injury terminated my two-wheeled riding. I was actually hoping for something like the Ryker in late summer 2018 when the first rumors were released. When I was actually able to research one completely I was convinced I needed a test ride. When I completed the test ride I signed papers. Is it perfect? No. Did it get me back on the road with my riding buddies? Yes.

I am still waiting for the aftermarket to catch up, but for now, I am very happy.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I still have my Spyder RS and bought a Ryker Rally. I have ZERO interest in an F3 or RT. I love both the RS and the Ryker but at the end of the day the Ryker is just more fun to ride. Simple as that.

Spyder Garage

Ok, I like the info on this post. I, too, am considering downsizing to a Ryker. Due to health issues and the fact that I can't get my wife to retire, I don't see much long trips in our future. I'll have to try one out at the dealer when the weather warms a bit, but I do have a more specific question. How long of a ride would you consider a Ryker for?
    Pat
    Burp(Gone, but not forgotten) - Viper Red 2012 RT-S SE5
    B-2 - Intense Red Pearl 2016 RT-S SE6
    GP - Phoenix Orange 2019 F3 LTD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LLSailor View Post
    Ok, I like the info on this post. I, too, am considering downsizing to a Ryker. Due to health issues and the fact that I can't get my wife to retire, I don't see much long trips in our future. I'll have to try one out at the dealer when the weather warms a bit, but I do have a more specific question. How long of a ride would you consider a Ryker for?
    My longest ride at one time is about 450 miles. No problem.

My typical ride is between 150-250 miles

I'd hop on it and ride across country tomorrow and not think twice about it.

Spyder Garage

I had recently traded in a Ryker Ace 900 and when you buy one you will want the comfort seat, sway bar, and a F4 Customs aftermarket windshield for it. The BRP shield imho does nothing to help. What you will be loosing from the F3 (and right now the 2019 F3 models are the same price after $3000 BRP rebate) No power steering, shorter in height and length, harder to maneuver (gave me a workout), can only use 1 saddlebag (possible 2 if you go aftermarket), no trunk, and having some recalls.

Spyder Garage

I've been looking at three wheelers for a long time, since I have had problems with my legs (one total knee replacement) and my clutch hand which I am putting off operations. I looked at Can Am a long time ago, when my daughter took one for a test drive. I wasn't interested. Harley has a patent for a reverse trike (two wheels in the front) and since I have been riding Harleys for years, I have been waiting for them to start production. Not happening. I even started building a two wheel in the front Harley Sportster, but sold it when I moved. When I saw a Can Am Ryker advertised on YouTube last year, I got excited. When I found out the price, I got real excited. When I found out they did not require my clutch hand, I was committed to getting one, IF I test drove one and it did not change my opinion. Once I took one for a test drive, I committed myself to the Ryker.
    Why didn't I consider the Spyder? Please don't take this the wrong way, but in MY opinion, sitting on the Spyder made me feel like I was in a convertible car, NOT a motorcycle. When I sit on a Ryker, I feel like I am still on a two wheeler. And the pick up and go on the Ryker, exceeded my expectations. I owned a Road King Custom, A Softail and a Sportster all at the same time. I preferred the Softail over the Road King for several reasons, but the little sportster was really, really fun, but just too short in length for my frame. Fun for short rides, but not for cruising. Just my two cents. Lots of folks just don't get it. We ALL like to get outside and also outside the rolling cages, so that we can take in the environment around us. I had my fun on two wheels and know my limitations today. Now, I plan to have a lot of time on three wheels before they shovel dirt over me. I'll be 70 soon and I plan to still be riding when I turn 90. My tattoo says "Live to Ride, Ride to live."

Spyder Garage

ditto

Spyder Garage

I bought my Ryker 600 new in Aug. 19. In Jan of this year I came across a used 2015 f3s. It's the best of both worlds for me now. I consider the Ryker my city bike and the Spyder my goin outa town cruiser. I can't imagine selling either one.

Spyder Garage

Is it true the Ryker is more of a grown up Scooter? More of a turn and burn, no gears etc? It’s a hard point for me.. the Ryker price wise is epic.. I don’t care for the new design of the Spyder I like the RSS look better.. if anything maybe I’ll upgrade from my 09 Spyder to a later year model if I have any unfixable issues...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderN00b View Post
    Is it true the Ryker is more of a grown up Scooter? More of a turn and burn, no gears etc? It’s a hard point for me.. the Ryker price wise is epic.. I don’t care for the new design of the Spyder I like the RSS look better.. if anything maybe I’ll upgrade from my 09 Spyder to a later year model if I have any unfixable issues...
    Ryker has a CVT - yes
    Ryker should be compared with a frickin' scooter, hell no!

Spyder Garage

We made our first Can-Am purchase in March 2008 (RT-S SE5). Eight years later in March 2020, we made our second Can-Am purchase of a 2020 Ryker Rally Edition. The only thing the two rides have in common are three wheels with two in front, although the 998 is closer to the 900 than the 1330 would be. Love them both.
    2023 Plasma Red F3 Limited
    2020 Ryker Rally.

Spyder Garage

I am 65 years old and put 7200 miles on my Ryker 900 last year, mostly on trips. I have done 400 mile days with the stock seat and Cal Sci windshield with no problems. I truly feel it’s touring capabilities are very underrated. I have a 47 liter Givitop case and the Shad 37 liter side case as well as a Kuryakin roller bag that I attach to the Max mount. I have ridden F-3 and Rt models and prefer the simplicity, ride and handling of the Ryker.

Spyder Garage

I own a Ryker 600 and an f3s. If you decide on the Ryker, I would go with the Rally or plan on buying a set of performance shocks. That is the only thing I find lacking with my 600.