Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Ok so we are not looking at the 2012 Rt limited. We originally thought he had title but he does not. I am just not comfortable handing over money (he did say we could take the bike then) and dealing with the bank being paid and then weeks and weeks later hopefully getting title. I would rather wait for individual with title in hand or watch dealerships. After learning that many may be trading in to get the new 2020, perhaps we can find a reasonably priced 2014 rt in the 12-13,000 range. We will start watching and watch the for sale here on this forum. We will go check out some dealers and see how my husband fits on the various years. He is tall 6’3 so now with all your replies we will be patient and look. We have snow here in Ohio so no riding for a few months anyway.

Thanks for all the replies.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deblog View Post
    Ok so we are not looking at the 2012 Rt limited. We originally thought he had title but he does not. I am just not comfortable handing over money (he did say we could take the bike then) and dealing with the bank being paid and then weeks and weeks later hopefully getting title. I would rather wait for individual with title in hand or watch dealerships. After learning that many may be trading in to get the new 2020, perhaps we can find a reasonably priced 2014 rt in the 12-13,000 range. We will start watching and watch the for sale here on this forum. We will go check out some dealers and see how my husband fits on the various years. He is tall 6’3 so now with all your replies we will be patient and look. We have snow here in Ohio so no riding for a few months anyway.

I think you should have no problem finding a clean '14 in that price range. I think you are wise not to go through with the '12 purchase given the lack of title.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

After learning that many may be trading in to get the new 2020, perhaps we can find a reasonably priced 2014 rt in the 12-13,000 range. We will start watching and watch the for sale here on this forum. We will go check out some dealers and see how my husband fits on the various years. He is tall 6’3 so now with all your replies we will be patient and look. We have snow here in Ohio so no riding for a few months anyway.
    Good move. The 2012 is a good machine. It's been said here on the forum in the past that the 2012 was the best of the 998 V-twins. I had a 2013 RT 998 which I rode for about 25,000 miles with few problems. I sold it and bought a 2014 RTS with the 1330. The improvement in power and torque was not as great as I expected but it's been a good bike. I think you can plan on a 1330 being about $2500 to $3000 more than a 998. If the guy can get the title in hand, or at least a copy and can show you that a credit union or bank has it, and will drop the price another grand, I'd say go for it. Just because an owner doesn't have the title in his hot little hands does not mean it's not a legit deal. You just have to be sure that whoever has it gets their $$ and hands it over to you.

But, be sure to check out the F3. I can't speak from first hand experience but it's my understanding it is more comfortable for tall folks than is the RT.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Smart- I wouldn’t buy without a title in the current owners name. Usually means its probably not current with regards to registration and taxes as well. The flood gates on 2020 purchases has opened; you should have plenty of options soon.

Spyder Garage

Good move. Title issues usually lead to problems...unless you deal directly with their banker and get assurance as to proper title transfer from the lienholder. This is one issue NOT to do on a handshake.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Worth taking a look on CycleTrader as well...at least to get an idea of model years/mileage/pricing and how things might fit your budget...
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

We are watching cycle trader, Craigslist etc. boy there are great sales on new 2019! Seeing those with my search.

Spyder Garage

We are watching cycle trader, Craigslist etc. boy there are great sales on new 2019! Seeing those with my search.
    Watch out for Craigslist. That is one place where the buyer must beware. Lot's of scams there. Personally, I would stay away from it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

A lot of dealers post on Craigslist. A Michigan dealer has a new 2019 limited for 20,300 out the door that I found on Craigslist ad. More than we want but interesting with full warranty and seeing some of the prices for older 1330 spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Nobody has asked how he likes to ride. I'm guessing he likes the long-legged smooth touring machine, which to me gives a nod to the 1330. But if he likes zipping and blipping of a sports bike, the twin might be a better choice.
    I bought a 2012 RTSE5 (audio & conv) from a friend for $10k back in 2016. It has never left me stranded. I've had all recommended service done by dealership, so did previous owner. I've changed a battery and a windshield connector, and added an iPod dongle (because it came with the wrong one).

But here's the big takeaway:

1. All the folks riding newer Limited Spyders always come up to ME and compliment MINE. Then they ask me, "why didn't you get the limited?" I answer, "How do you like your CB and GPS?" And they start complaining. I smile. They smile...shake their heads and change the subject.

So you can't go wrong with a $10k 998cc Spyder in excellent condition. And it gives you the OPTION of keeping or trading up. If you start "up," what did you miss? I could have traded mine for an F3 or brand new one (last year), but I didn't. I like it and it's paid for. And everyone else still comes over to look at MINE when I park it in a lot full of Spyders and traditional trikes. (BTW...I have zero aftermarket LEDs and all that jazz.)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Watch out for Craigslist. That is one place where the buyer must beware. Lot's of scams there. Personally, I would stay away from it.
    That's where I found ours. There some decent folk out there, though yeah lots of scammers on Craigslist, so if it doesn't feel right then it probably isn't, RUN.
    MrBill
    Las Cruces, NM
    Got Chile? Red or Green?
    2015 Spyder RT
    1980 Suzuki GS750ET, still scares me!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I bought both my Spyders off craigslist. The first from a guy I was able to verify by visiting the website of the Cadillac dealership he was a salesman for. I figured he was one who wouldn't do anything to screw up his career with a Caddy dealer. The other was from the motorcycle dealer arm of a new car dealership in Bremerton, WA.

But if you can't verify anything about a seller, or even a buyer, then proceed very cautiously, if at all.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

There is more than engine size .I had a 2016 rt special series. I test rode my friends 2013 and it was scary the suspension is no where close to the newer models after she rode mine she traded hers in the next month on newer model . I have several instances where I let spyder riders ride my 2016 rt and they are flabbergasted at the difference. I am now on a 2018 f3s (cuz I prefer fast tight twisties) and no matter what you do with the suspension the rt can't keep up with the f3

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the posts. We are going to look for newer model and see what comes in for trade or goes up for sale as people upgrade. Lots of good info to think about.

Spyder Garage

So we stopped to look at some Spyders at a dealer. Now we have so many decisions. My husband and long legs loved the 2020! Argh. Not happening��. So f3 does have better leg room but passenger seat not as nice. Thinking maybe add pegs to help with leg room? Maybe see which is better deal used that we find and in a few years get a used 2020? So difficult!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dont let the money get in the way of happiness or comfort and fitment

Spyder Garage

If all else is OK with an F3L, then the seat thing can be easily remedied by going to a saddle customizer. I will be doing that soon and while he's at it, I'll have him add heat.
    I too found the 2020 RT too cramped for my legs and the bars a lot closer. BRP must have had smaller riders in mind. The older RTs didn't fit me either.
    If you are going to be doing most of your own service work, the F3L is a better choice as everything is more accessible and a lot fewer panels need to be removed.
    Another thing I like about the F3L is its lower center of gravity which makes it sportier in the twisties.
    Good luck and many happy miles on whatever Spyder you decide to buy.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Good move. Title issues usually lead to problems...unless you deal directly with their banker and get assurance as to proper title transfer from the lienholder. This is one issue NOT to do on a handshake.
    Hands down excellent advice. Reduced to its basics, without a title the current "owner" doesn't in fact actually own the machine; the lien holder does and that's the entity to deal with. It's also possible, just possible, that the current seller owes more than the resale value of the Spyder which could result in you overpaying. Everything may be above board but awareness of potential stumbling blocks is a good thing.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)