Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New Battery Died and sat on a 2020 RTL

Yuasa made in USA battery, 10 months old. Died very suddenly. Bad cell. Took it out and brought it to the dealer to test and replace, and of course they didn't have a replacement in stock, but at least confirmed it was bad. Typical. They could have told me that they didn't have one before I took the 180 mile round trip.

I did get to sit on the 2020 RTL model. The floorboards and new brake pedal position are real winners. The luggage is better as well. Downside items were the handlebars are too low and far forward to get my broken stuff to align. Hopefully they offer higher and more rearward options. Secondary to that they didn't appear to offer any bright paint. the Petrol blue is nice, but kind of dark. Missing is the bright blue like on my RTL. I think they have a red, but the sales guy said it is more of a Burgundy. I think I'll wait on the colors, my RTL runs well on occasion when it isn't breaking down.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

The nice thing about the new bar setup for the 2020 RT's is that it's the same as the F3, and Helibar makes one for them that is more adjustable then the triaxis one BRP makes for the 2010 through 2019 RTs.
    At $599 it's $100 less then the $699 that BRP lists for theirs.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Saw a 2020 yesterday while I was out and driving the Van. Rolled down the window and spoke with the new owner a moment. From a visual perspective while driving, and when I first rolled up on it I suspected F3. The modular rear box, while it was rolling has a certain afterthought look about it. The black front scoops, different and adds a lot of black plastic to the machines looks. I had seen the prototype in Deland last year. Sure gave a different look just sitting there in Deland vs seeing one being ridden. Nice but sticking with what we have.

Spyder Garage

Nice to see you getting accustomed to Spyder reliability HR.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

10 months wonder how long it was sitting in the Spyder before you bought it?

I am going on 6 years on my battery and just tested it and still shows good.

Spyder Garage

I changed the battery on my 2012 today in the garage. Didn't get to see a 2020 or a 2019. Dealer charged me $400 and broke my antenna last time I had them change a battery (4 yrs ago). And they had my trike for 2 weeks. This time, she was down for about 4 hours and it cost me $150 total.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Remember, the 2020 RT has the option to install Short Reach or Long Reach Handle bars, juts like the F3 models. So you can fix that.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

RE: Short reach/long reach

Short reach refers to the length of your reach not the bars. Short reach = LONGER BARS

Long reach refers to the length of your reach not the bars. Long reach = SHORTER BARS

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I replaced it with A Deka AGM with the same rating. For all I know it came from the same factory as the Yuasa. I'm not sure if the Yuasa YTX24HL is an AGM or just a sealed lead acid. I've had much better service from AGM batteries, my last one lasted 8 years and even then didn't fail suddenly, just didn't crank as well when cold.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Petrol Metallic is more of a teal blue than the previous blues that were offered. The Asphalt Metallic is a gray green and both are very sparkly. The Chalk Metallic looks bright white in certain light and chalky or gray in other light. I like the chalk the best and am waiting to see the Marsala metallic when it comes out.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The Petrol Metallic is more of a teal blue than the previous blues that were offered. The Asphalt Metallic is a gray green and both are very sparkly. The Chalk Metallic looks bright white in certain light and chalky or gray in other light. I like the chalk the best and am waiting to see the Marsala metallic when it comes out.
    The Marsala red is the only color I didn't see. The sales guy said it was more of a Burgundy color, which I can believe because all the colors seem darker that the Can Am pictures depict when viewing in the wild.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

After the battery fiasco I went and purchased a NOCO GB40 jump pack. Seems pretty well made. If I would have had that at the time I could have made it home, dead cell and all. Many thanks to Spectacuarl Spiderman (Yes, it is apelled like that) for the timely and informative link; https://www.carbibles.com/best-jump-starters-reviewed/ and all the discussion that prompted me to get one.
    h0gr1der

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    After the battery fiasco I went and purchased a NOCO GB40 jump pack. Seems pretty well made. If I would have had that at the time I could have made it home, dead cell and all. Many thanks to Spectacuarl Spiderman (Yes, it is apelled like that) for the timely and informative link; https://www.carbibles.com/best-jump-starters-reviewed/ and all the discussion that prompted me to get one.
    I was wondering about the physical size of the GB40? The battery store would not break open a sealed box of a GB40 so i could see it with my hands, as the saying goes. I have the very large GB150 PRO that i use to occasionally start my equipment, but that's a monster and is way too big to pack around in my RT. I was able to open up and see the jump pack at the Harbor Freight store. In it's small flat case it fits flat down in the bottom of the trunk of my RT. It is only about 1 1/2" thick so it doesn't take up that much room. I was wondering how compact the GB40 was?

Spyder Garage

Mr. 2dogs,
    Everything you could want to know about the GB40, the small 1000 amp jump pack. Scroll down for measurements. Make sure you get the newer model with the slim jaws on the clamps, there's a lot of the older models running around.
    https://no.co/gb40

I also got the case for protection. The GB40 comes with a drawstring bag which I didn't like.
    https://no.co/gbc013

Haven't used it yet, but a lot of good reviews on this one.

Edit- At the bottom of the NOCO case page, notice the dimensions of the case. It adds about ± 2" to each dimension of the jump pack. Roughtly 10" x 5" x 4".
    h0gr1der

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Measured the bottom of RT trunk. 9 1/2" wide, darn. GB40 won't quite fit. The Viking jump pack seems more compact than the GB40 and is about half the price of the GB40 when it's on sale. Think i'll give the Viking a second look. Thanks for the info on the GB40.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Measured the bottom of RT trunk. 9 1/2" wide, darn. GB40 won't quite fit. The Viking jump pack seems more compact than the GB40 and is about half the price of the GB40 when it's on sale. Think i'll give the Viking a second look. Thanks for the info on the GB40.
    The NOCO case is kind of flexible, I have mine smashed down into the bottom of the rear trunk. I chose this one because it has 1000 amps, roughly double the size of the units that are slightly smaller.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

Lomonster Garage is listed on the home page of this forum. I have his and used it twice so far and worked very well. 1000 amp and smaller that the sizes listed above. I recommend it. Check it out and see what you think.

Stan
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Spyder Garage

Update on the battery failure. Even though it's only been in service 10 months, BRP isn't going to warranty the battery because it's a wear and tear item. This is a dick move by a crappy company. I'm beginning to regret my move to Can Am.
    h0gr1der

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    Update on the battery failure. Even though it's only been in service 10 months, BRP isn't going to warranty the battery because it's a wear and tear item. This is a dick move by a crappy company. I'm beginning to regret my move to Can Am.
    What the heck. If they look at it that way BRP could claim the entire spyder is a wear and tear item. There seems to be no end to BRP making themselves look bad in regard to customer service after the sale. They came up with a decent machine to keep folks with disabilities enjoying the open road and then to top it off with crapola like this. Their reputation for being a cheesey outfit is gaining momentum. A $100 battery replacement would gain them ten fold in customer satisfaction and reputation, but i guess they just don't see it that way. If I did business like that, i'd soon be out of business.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2dogs, yeah, it's discouraging to see this about such a mickey mouse item as a battery, I'm trying very hard to see the positive on the 2020 RTL and this kind of news is not helpful in my choice.....But I'm guessing that BRP really doesn't give a rat's behind about any dissatisfaction if they're selling all they can produce. Not ragging on the RTL because in my mind, it's still the best all around 3 wheeler compared to others on the market.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A quality dealer with a worthwhile service manager and service department, could go a longways to overcome BRP's shortsightedness on many of these issues. As many have posted here, it's not easy to come by a quality dealer. Once you find one, keem'm and spread the good news.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    A quality dealer with a worthwhile service manager and service department, could go a longways to overcome BRP's shortsightedness on many of these issues. As many have posted here, it's not easy to come by a quality dealer. Once you find one, keem'm and spread the good news.
    The young lady at the service counter told me that while BRP rejected the warranty claim she would work with the dealers management to see if there was a resolution. I'll let you know how this goes. Seriously though, BRP released the 2020 RTL before the parts were even correctly fit. Ty-Raps holding the body panels together?! Come on. That is pure Mickey Mouse quality control.
    h0gr1der

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

by Felicia

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    by Felicia
    What are we, 13? This post isn't by Felecia, so use adult words when talking with adults. I'm not a fanboy, so maybe you should consider using the ignore action on my posts.
    h0gr1der

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great comment 'rider', some things make no sense. Perhaps it's the learning curve with only 255 posts. :>)