Spyder Garage

Thumbs down Am I getting the Right Infor from Dealer 2015 Spyder F3 SE6

My check Transmission light came on LED. Took to Dealer 3 months ago, when I got there it was not shifting out of REVERSE. So they new that and Transmission LED read out.

1) Called mre said I had a RATS nest but no sign of chewed damage, So they told me it was my TCM. $400 labor. DID NOT fix problem. THEN they said it was my HCM, so another $700 in labor and that would fix everything. Total at $1,200. Now after all that they call back after replacing TCM & HCM, and they still can't get it out of reverse, so NOW it must be a Mechanical Problem in the Cluth or Gear. They want another $600 just to start removing the Transmission.

AM I GETTING HOSED BY THIS DEALER

Spyder Garage

Ouch sure sounds like hosing, suggest getting BRP cares involved, at least ask your other dealers close by. Also pleas provide us with some helpful details model, mileage, services all up to date

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

2015 Can Am Spyder F3-S SE6 I purchased used in 2017 only 5,000 miles, had 7,000 last Sep 2019 when the check transmission LED came on.

Spyder Garage

Also, CAN AM as been great during this Ordeal, they actually gave the dealer the TCM part & the HCM part to me for FREE. Howver, why did it take the service team to diagnose those problems and not even think mechanical in the first place. now I need a new Transmission or Clutch or Gearbox.

How could stuck in REVERSE have been ALL 3 problems

Spyder Garage

Since you should be able to manual shift the gearbox by hand without the Spyder even running. Granted I am not working on this machine, but the first thing I would have checked was that by shifting through all the gears with engine off, that would validate the gearbox mechanically should be ok before any other work was done.

In my opinion though, my second item to check, and again I am not there working on it, would to remove and inspect, the gearbox position indicator switch. Those are known trouble items, and if not working correctly, confuses the computers.

As for money spent, I would insist that all original parts are returned to you.

BTW, the gearbox in these machines is very tough and durable. About the only issue posted about has been the shift drum cam followup detent roller failing. It might be possible some debris has jammed the shift drum from rotating, but, that would have been discovered in my first suggestion to manually check the shifting with the engine shut down.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Since you should be able to manual shift the gearbox by hand without the Spyder even running. Granted I am not working on this machine, but the first thing I would have checked was that by shifting through all the gears with engine off, that would validate the gearbox mechanically should be ok before any other work was done.

In my opinion though, my second item to check, and again I am not there working on it, would to remove and inspect, the gearbox position indicator switch. Those are known trouble items, and if not working correctly, confuses the computers.

As for money spent, I would insist that all original parts are returned to you.

BTW, the gearbox in these machines is very tough and durable. About the only issue posted about has been the shift drum cam followup detent roller failing. It might be possible some debris has jammed the shift drum from rotating, but, that would have been discovered in my first suggestion to manually check the shifting with the engine shut down.
    2015 Spyder F3 SE6
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

One of my greatest dislikes are techs who go on a fishing expedition, tossing parts at a problem and hoping that will be the cure. And when it isn't the cure, they throw more parts in without replacing the previous ones with the originals, which were OK so they can charge the customer for all the parts that didn't solve the problem.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

It could be as simple as a failed reverse lockout switch. I have had mine replaced twice after it wouldn’t shift out of reverse.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimgremjr View Post
    my check transmission light came on led. Took to dealer 3 months ago, when i got there it was not shifting out of reverse. So they new that and transmission led read out.

1) called mre said i had a rats nest but no sign of chewed damage, so they told me it was my tcm. $400 labor. Did not fix problem. Then they said it was my hcm, so another $700 in labor and that would fix everything. Total at $1,200. Now after all that they call back after replacing tcm & hcm, and they still can't get it out of reverse, so now it must be a mechanical problem in the cluth or gear. They want another $600 just to start removing the transmission.

Am i getting hosed by this dealer
    " yes "

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Free ????

Quote Originally Posted by jimgremjr View Post
    Also, CAN AM as been great during this Ordeal, they actually gave the dealer the TCM part & the HCM part to me for FREE. Howver, why did it take the service team to diagnose those problems and not even think mechanical in the first place. now I need a new Transmission or Clutch or Gearbox.

How could stuck in REVERSE have been ALL 3 problems
    BRP doesn't operate this way ….. I would demand my money back, they are guessing - not producing … and go to another dealer ….. good luck …. Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-04-2020 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IMO, if this is how things went down. For some reason I’m not shocked cueman

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had an issue with my 2012 RSS transmission. After doing a fluid change, they diagnosed what they thought the issue was. Before doing the work, I told them that it their changes did not fix the issue, they were not getting paid for it. I was only paying for results, not them to experiment on my bike. Fortunately for both of us, they were able to fix the bike and we both were happy. I refuse to pay for their tech's incompetence.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    2015 Spyder F3 SE6
    If you knew much about an SE6 gearbox, or had ever worked on a Spyder, or even had gotten down to a point where you can see the Spyders underside, it is obvious the gearbox shift shaft protrudes from the cases. Even the SE6 shift shaft protrudes, but has no shift lever on the splines.

I took a photo of our SE6 for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

If you knew much about an SE6 gearbox, or had ever worked on a Spyder, or even had gotten down to a point where you can see the Spyders underside, it is obvious the gearbox shift shaft protrudes from the cases. Even the SE6 shift shaft protrudes, but has no shift lever on the splines.

I took a photo of our SE6 for you.
    So can you shift it without it running and no clutch? In all my years with a bikes (60), shifting without moving and especially without running is difficult if not impossible. However, I will qualify that with the fact that the Spyder is, in many peoples definition, not a bike. Has it no dogs? Is it linear? Educate me. Apparently I am uninformed.
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    So can you shift it without it running and no clutch? In all my years with a bikes (60), shifting without moving and especially without running is difficult if not impossible. However, I will qualify that with the fact that the Spyder is, in many peoples definition, not a bike. Has it no dogs? Is it linear? Educate me. Apparently I am uninformed.
    Jack rear wheel, spin wheel by hand and shift gears. Engine not running and no clutch needed, you can find the gears by rocking the rear wheel. The gearbox in a Spyder is very typical of most motorcycles. I suggest you take a look at the available parts catalogs and you can decide for yourself if the Spyders gearbox mimics what you know. To me, the Spyder gearbox is typical of most Japanese machines, and many European machines excluding shift plate bikes like a CZ or Maico.

Spyder Garage

Jack rear wheel, spin wheel by hand and shift gears. Engine not running and no clutch needed, you can find the gears by rocking the rear wheel. The gearbox in a Spyder is very typical of most motorcycles. I suggest you take a look at the available parts catalogs and you can decide for yourself if the Spyders gearbox mimics what you know. To me, the Spyder gearbox is typical of most Japanese machines, and many European machines excluding shift plate bikes like a CZ or Maico.
    Like pulling teeth... figuratively and oddly transmission related. I'm reminded of a fellow who installed a Pingle shifter on his GL1800 and proceeded to destroy his transmission by testing it with the bike "off" and running it through the gears with no motion, which is what your post seemed to have suggested. Full information in a post would be advised to prevent folks from bending their shift forks. I have said enough. PMK has been added.