Spyder Garage

Default Everybody says the 2013 ST runs so hot....

..but mine was nice and cold on my cruise today to target..

That might have had something to do with the 40 degree temps... couldn’t resist taking it out - got more than a few strange looks, hah. Almost like Minnesotans don’t expect to see motorcycles on the road in February.

4207221C-045B-43A2-80A4-6D470F7AB205.jpg
    2021 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The 2013's only ran hot in the original factory configuration. After BRP did the prescribed upgrades, they run as cool as any other 998.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

That's a nice, clean looking machine.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

It would be cooler if the 2014 panels had been installed. Too late now to get them under goodwill. Even without the 2014 panels it can be made comfortable to ride in the summer. Just some foam under the panels to stop the hot air from coming out under the seat and cooking your legs.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

billybovine...
    Can you elaborate? What type of foam and under which panels?
    I'm soon going to drill some holes in the plastic underneath the fan on my 2016 ST-S...
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My '13 ST Ltd ran fine. I only got a hot foot when the header gaskets failed. Replaced them and it was fine. I got stuck in slow traffic and did parades and never had a hot ride.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I used weather stripping foam, in a roll, from the hardware store. Take off the center panel in front of the seat and the panels on each side. Build an air dam with layers of foam, on top of the frame and each side. Test fit the panels and carve the excess foam away to fit the panels. The idea is to stop the hot air from getting to the seat. When I did my 2013 STL. Afterwards I could ride with shorts, if I wanted. The volcano vent on the left side of the seat was plugged.

Drilling holes in the bottom or removing the splash panels is a waste of time. If you take a good look under your spyder. The area for hot air to escape is far bigger than the area in the front for cool air to enter.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I found some pictures. Sorry they are not very good. Also forgot to mention I used some aluminum foil tape as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thanks!!!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I am honestly curious to see how it does this summer (since I've only owned it a little over a month - so all my rides have been in ambient temperatures around 30-40 degrees). If it starts cooking me when the weather is nicer I'll document my attempts at some of the DIY fixes listed above, get some quality pics and video and see if I can back it all up with some measurements of heat at the engine and body work.
    2021 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

It's not to late to get the 2014 air panels installed at the end of last summer. I called BRP directly and they suggested that I take it to the shop and request that they open up a service request pertaining to the heat issue. At first the dude at the shop didnt know what I talking about as he was looking thru all of the bulletins until he called BRP.

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL . I bought the air vents from local dealer for 69 plus tax . They ordered from BRP. I noticed the heat right away on r foot and actually thought I had a heated seat..nope. My temp gauge is fine but at idle or slow speeds rises to near half..coolant is topped off and no leaks. I have yet to install as I don't really want to do it. Involves cutting the old vents out and making a larger hole and installing hood scoops-once installed looks great ...
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White