Spyder Garage

Default Clamp-on Highway Pegs

I have a 2017 RTS. Today I went on a long beautiful 68 degree ride. My knee was bugging me a little, so I started putting my feet up onto the top of the lower black plastic wind deflector "thingy" just in front of the floorboards. It was a pretty comfy feet-forward riding position, they bow out a little bit near the end and my riding boots rested right on them. I have a large size brake pedal installed, so getting to the brake was no problem, and the deflectors seems firmly attached.

Being the cheap person that I am, and knowing I have more farkles on my lists than I can afford right now, I started wondering if a cheap set of clamp-on highway pegs would work if I clamped them onto the top of the lower black plastic wind deflector. I know they are made for attaching to engine protector bars but I wouldn't be putting much weight on them, just a place to lightly rest my feet.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/530...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

What do y'all think? Hank
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 02-02-2020 at 04:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

The plastic that holds the water deflector to the Spyder is very thin where a Torx bolt and washer hold it. The plastic around the bolt hole can break rendering the deflector loose and the ultimate result is you could lose a left or right side panel.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    The plastic that holds the water deflector to the Spyder is very thin where a Torx bolt and washer hold it. The plastic around the bolt hole can break rendering the deflector loose and the ultimate result is you could lose a left or right side panel.
    Yeah, I just saw Lamonster Garage NBV Highway Peg installation video...where he said "Don't rest your feet on the fin!", and showed why. Oh well...I guess I have to wait till I have the bucks for real brackets. I wish there was some way to reinforce that attachment point with a diff bolt/srew and maybe washers. Maybe I'll think about it a bit. It would save me $250 but I don't want to risk losing a piece of the bike on the road.

Thanks!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    I have a 2017 RTS. Today I went on a long beautiful 68 degree ride. My knee was bugging me a little, so I started putting my feet up onto the top of the lower black plastic wind deflector "thingy" just in front of the floorboards. It was a pretty comfy feet-forward riding position, they bow out a little bit near the end and my riding boots rested right on them. I have a large size brake pedal installed, so getting to the brake was no problem, and the deflectors seems firmly attached.

Being the cheap person that I am, and knowing I have more farkles on my lists than I can afford right now, I started wondering if a cheap set of clamp-on highway pegs would work if I clamped them onto the top of the lower black plastic wind deflector. I know they are made for attaching to engine protector bars but I wouldn't be putting much weight on them, just a place to lightly rest my feet.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/530...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

What do y'all think? Hank
    I have a 2014 RT, and also decided to use those wind deflectors ….. however I had heard of them breaking, so I took them apart and made a steel insert that can't be seen with the back cover re-installed. …. I can now Stand on them and they don't break or even bend ….. the steel insert bolts to the frame where there were push pins as OEM ….. I agree very comfy on hot days and dirt cheap …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have a 2014 RT, and also decided to use those wind deflectors ….. however I had heard of them breaking, so I took them apart and made a steel insert that can't be seen with the back cover re-installed. …. I can now Stand on them and they don't break or even bend ….. the steel insert bolts to the frame where there were push pins as OEM ….. I agree very comfy on hot days and dirt cheap …… Mike
    Cool. When you get the time can you take a pic of what you did? I was also thinking about a steel brace of some kind. Thanks.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    Cool. When you get the time can you take a pic of what you did? I was also thinking about a steel brace of some kind. Thanks.
    I have a new cell phone and haven't sent any pics yet ….. I'll let you know and try get them into one of my Albums ….. Mike