Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default changing spark plugs on RS and airbox

was there another way to change spark plugs without taking the airbox off?
    manual says use a extension and u-joint from the top(I don't see that happening) or take the airbox off.
    I got the wire kit/spark plug from bajaron but I don't remember taking airbox off on old 09 to change spark plugs.
    I have a 2015 RS.
    thank you in advance.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

It can be done without taking the air box off. But the front cylinder is difficult to get to. If you do it this way, be very careful that you get the spark plug threaded properly by hand before tightening. It is also more difficult to get dirt and debris out of the spark plug pocket before removing the old plug. Personally, I prefer going the air box removal route, though that is somewhat of a chore. You can check your air filter as you go with this method. And it makes the actual wire and plugs install much easier as you get easy access to everything. And you can see how your front cylinder ignition wire is routed. Also, there are usually zip ties that are difficult to get to without removing the air box.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you and is the right fuel injector buried underneath the air box too?
    I’m doing the power commander V and it only has the instructions for 998 RT and it seems to be little different than 2015 RS. I don’t see the fuel injector on right and crank position sensor is not where it supposed to be neither, well at least not same as RT.

Spyder Garage

giving consideration to the fact that the SPYD3Rs come with IRIDIUM PLUGS, i can't imagine why BRP suggest changing them at 28,000 miles.... i did mine on my 1st F3, and the OEM plugs looked GREAT.... at the very same time, i did the plugs on my wife's 2005 Camry, which had 104,000 miles, and those also are IRIDIUM, and they also looked GREAT.... on my new, 2019 F3, i'll wait until 100,000 miles before i even consider changing them again...
    NOTE; at 71 yrs of age, it took me 2 5 hours day to complete the entire task...
    Dan
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is what it looks like. This is off a 2013 ST. This image shows the front plug behind the air filter (Air box). The two clips pop off and the filter along with from cone can be removed.

D1D3FE38-2FE7-4367-9200-09DDD5457B9C_1_201_a.jpg.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

thank you.
    did you take the cougar head off too?
    there seems to be a lot of space around the air filter housing.

as far as interval of spark plug replacement goes, RS calls for every 14000 miles or 2 years.
    previous owner only put 700 miles in 3 years and I put 20000 miles in year and a half so it did a lot sitting and I figure it was time or past due.
    I don't know if RS had iridium plugs but I AM replacing them with iridium so I won't have to do this again for looooooong time.

I am considering taking off resonator or disconnect the hose going into air filter housing.
    I was told that resonator's sole purpose is to reduce air intake noise so with hose detached, it should feed more air.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Here is what it looks like. This is off a 2013 ST. This image shows the front plug behind the air filter (Air box). The two clips pop off and the filter along with from cone can be removed.

D1D3FE38-2FE7-4367-9200-09DDD5457B9C_1_201_a.jpg.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    thank you.
    did you take the cougar head off too?
    there seems to be a lot of space around the air filter housing.

I am considering taking off resonator or disconnect the hose going into air filter housing.
    I was told that resonator's sole purpose is to reduce air intake noise so with hose detached, it should feed more air.
    Not sure what a cougar head is but I had to remove the conical cover and the air filter to get at it. Don't know about improving air intake.

45EDF064-BCD5-44D7-B135-6A3177009DD7.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red