Spyder Garage

Spyder broken right side trunk hinge

My right side truck hinge is broke how can I get it fix?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mzbanks2771 View Post
    My right side truck hinge is broke how can I get it fix?
    If you the right side lower compartment …. it would depend on what's broken , the actual hinge, or the cable etc. ….. a pic would help us help you ….. at one time there was kit from a Vendor - however I think they are no longer selling anything ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

no it's the hinge

Spyder Garage

no it's the hinge
    OK , check with cheapcycleparts.com for re-placements ….. Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

no it's the hinge
    And not the plastic the hinge is fastened into? If it's the actual hinge itself you can get a replacement. If it's the plastic you're in for an interesting and/or pricey repair job. What year Spyder? It is an RT, right? The 2014s, and maybe others, had a problem with the plastic breaking around the hinge. Doc Humphreys had a great repair/reinforcement kit available but he and his website have disappeared completely from the web. If it is the plastic I might be able to find the installation instructions with some pics in it that might help you with coming up with a repair.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    And not the plastic the hinge is fastened into? If it's the actual hinge itself you can get a replacement. If it's the plastic you're in for an interesting and/or pricey repair job. What year Spyder? It is an RT, right? The 2014s, and maybe others, had a problem with the plastic breaking around the hinge. Doc Humphreys had a great repair/reinforcement kit available but he and his website have disappeared completely from the web. If it is the plastic I might be able to find the installation instructions with some pics in it that might help you with coming up with a repair.
    thought those parts were for the side bags not the trunk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    thought those parts were for the side bags not the trunk
    He/she said, "right side truck hinge" which stuck in my mind as him/her actually referring to the right side saddlebag! Those hinges have been a problem. But if he/she meant the right hinge of the rear trunk lid, then my comment is way off base! It would be quite unusual for one of them to break. Reading Mike's comment I think he was thinking the same as me.

So Mzbanks, what exactly are you referring to? As you can see, the lack of complete information leads to confusion. Is your handle a version of M Z Banks, or a variation of Ms Banks? Should we refer to you as he or she?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Hi, not knowing yr of your spyder or model. I looked up on cheap cycle parts.
    can am, can am roadster, rt, 2016.
    down in the section for the window rt luggages-package standard.
    click it an the explore the parts.
    ref#70 inner cover
    the hing arms are hooked to the inner cover
    part #708300678 $ 71.99

if it is the actual part that the hing arm pivots on it is on the next section forward
    ref#94 storage bin
    $ 339.99

I could be totally wrong here for what your looking for though.

Spyder Garage

Does anyone have Doc Humphry's hinge repair kit? I'd like to see photos (both loose and installed) so I can try to replicate it since Doc has faded into oblivion.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Does anyone have Doc Humphry's hinge repair kit? I'd like to see photos (both loose and installed) so I can try to replicate it since Doc has faded into oblivion.
    Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a PDF of his instruction sheet. Here are a couple of pics of the ones I have installed.

Hinge topside view 2.jpg Hinge underside view 2.jpg

The video that is referenced in his instructions is no longer available.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a PDF of his instruction sheet. Here are a couple of pics of the ones I have installed.

Hinge topside view 2.jpg Hinge underside view 2.jpg

The video that is referenced in his instructions is no longer available.
    I installed Doc's kit when the forward hinge on my left side saddlebag gave way and it was working fine. Unfortunately, while unpacking while on a trip, the contents of that saddlebag had shifted and when I opened it they fell onto the lid and broke the repaired hinge away from the plastic. My next attempt at repair will be with JB Weld.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

So what is the problem with the side bag hinges, is the metal breaking or is it pulling out of the plastic. Is this a big problem on all RT's or is it just if you abuse them? What did the repair piece actually do, and could we fashion something on our own?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-17-2023 at 10:40 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-/
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    So what is the problem with the side bag hinges,is the metal breaking or is it pulling out of the plastic.Is this a big problem on all rt's or is it just if you abuse them.What did the repair piece actually do and could we fashion something on our own?
    The plastic the case side of the hinge is mounted to was breaking loose from the case. It seemed to be a fairly common problem with the 2014s, and maybe before and after. But there hasn't been much discussion about it for a few years now so I don't know if BRP beefed up the case, or if there was a manufacturing issue for a year or two. The part number for the interior part of the case didn't change from 2014 to 2017 which is all I checked. Here's a pic of the hinge that broke on my RT. You can see daylight where the plastic broke apart.

Break in plastic.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I had at one point backed into the right rear cargo door while open and broke the plastic to which the hinge mounts. I too am in need of some repair as the door will flop down/around if not supported and I am sure that will ultimately cause the rear plastic to fail as well. Is there a way to fix it once it is completely broken or will I need to order a new liner that has the new plastic to mount the hinge too? Thanks for any and all responses.

Spyder Garage

I知 also having a heck of a time trying to fix my broken hinge on a 2011 RTLtd. The engineer that designed these cases is an idiot I知 sure. My wife just touched the cover very lightly and snapped the plastic part. Anyways I just spent a little bit of time lying down under there trying to glue it back with Bondic. There seems to be a chemical reaction when I put the UV light on. The plastic gets oily!!! But... I just had a Eureka moment. I will fix it with a little piece of 1/8 aluminum bar. Actually, while I知 at it, I値l fix all four hinges. I値l let you know later if it works.

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

Well the orig. poster who had the problem ....only had two posts ( as of today ) and they both are related to this issue .... ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNND ... They NEVER came back ..... I suggest the Admin. Yank this thread / post ..... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

SilverFox1 Take lots of pictures and if you like the outcome post it in the diy section in its own thread and we can let this thread die again.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze