Spyder Garage

Default 2018 f3 s SE6 tire wear

My first spyder was a 2016 rt SS se6. I only got around 8000 miles front and back on original kenda oem tires. Now fast forward . I now have a 2018 f3s se6 .Rear tire as normal lasted around 8000 miles, but I still have the original kenda on front I now have 16000 miles there is no cupping or ride handling issues and ride fairly aggressively. (Hence trade from rt too f3) I purchased my replacement tires months ago. Is this typical for other riders? I will be replacing the rear tire again this week. And still on OEM front kenda.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ktd1911 View Post
    My first spyder was a 2016 rt SS se6. I only got around 8000 miles front and back on original kenda oem tires. Now fast forward . I now have a 2018 f3s se6 .Rear tire as normal lasted around 8000 miles, but I still have the original kenda on front I now have 16000 miles there is no cupping or ride handling issues and ride fairly aggressively. (Hence trade from rt too f3) I purchased my replacement tires months ago. Is this typical for other riders? I will be replacing the rear tire again this week. And still on OEM front kenda.
    Kenda Spyder tires have a very poor track record for consistency ….. there have been way too many brand new tires that have shown construction flaws …. be happy that yours are in the 75 to 85 % that are OK ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

If you've been lucky enough not to have any of the OE Spec Kenda alignment, balancing, vibration, or tire failure problems that so many see &/or report here & elsewhere, there's a good chance that the Kendas up front will last reasonably well because the front end is so lightly loaded & stressed - some even report getting up into the 30,000 mile range from them!

That said, it's very likely that the Kendas will still be one of the significant limiting factors on your Spyder's ryde performance & your ryding enjoyment! Sure, you might think/feel you're doing fine in all respects with the Kendas now, and that's OK by me if you're happy with the level of performance & enjoyment you're getting..... but it's not just me saying this - have a look around & see how few people have actually disagreed with that statement re the Kendas being a limiting factor once they've swapped over to any other 'proper' car tire, and consider also how many ryders are out there saying that they really should've done it earlier!?!

In just the same way that only some ryders feel the need to upgrade their 'adequate' OE Spec Stabiliser bar with a better replacement until they actually do it, and only then realise how much better their Spyders could've been all along, many Spyder ryders only discover how much the OE Spec Kendas have been limiting their ryde/ryding enjoyment once they change to a better tire! So if you're happy with what you've got for now, stay with the Kendas. If you can't get anyone but a dealer who refuses to do anything but toe the BRP mandated line & only fit the Kendas to actually fit tires onto your Spyder, then sure, stay with the Kendas..... just be aware that there are alternatives out there and by far the vast majority of those who've gone down that path regret ONLY that they didn't do it sooner!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-30-2020 at 08:09 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I replaced my tires on my rt with federal formosa front and kumo ecsta rear and loved them and I'm doing that again on my f3s I have had the tires for months now and fronts show another 5000 miles

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

I went with a Khumo ECSTA AST 225/50R15 at 8K on the rear and got instant improvement in handling. Still running the Kendas up front and expect them to go 25K at least. Then will look at new fronts. Any tire shop can mount the fronts, even a gas station so equipped.. It's hard to find someone to mount the rear cuz dealers won't do it. Look around for an independent power sports shop to do the rear.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey