Spyder Garage

Default Hard- soft compressor switch

Hey guys...lookin for info on removing the hard- soft switch for the compressor ....my second compressor went bad so im gonna bypass the compressor as others have on this site.now i would like to replace the switch with the usb plug unit....my question is, how do i remove the soft-hard switch ?....next question, will any codes pop up when i unplug the switch? Do codes pop up because the compressor is by passed. Thank you in advance for any help anyone has to offer0

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Headwrench View Post
    Hey guys...lookin for info on removing the hard- soft switch for the compressor ....my second compressor went bad so im gonna bypass the compressor as others have on this site.now i would like to replace the switch with the usb plug unit....my question is, how do i remove the soft-hard switch ?....next question, will any codes pop up when i unplug the switch? Do codes pop up because the compressor is by passed. Thank you in advance for any help anyone has to offer0
    Can't answer your question, however there is an alternative that might interest you...… others here used an after-market compressor that as far as I've heard is an extremely durable one ….. someone here should chime in on what brand it was …. or do an advanced search … VIAA brand comes to mind …. good luck with whatever you decide ….. Mike :

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Headwrench View Post
    Getting the switch cluster out is a PIA due to one single plastic rivet on the rear...Do a search and there is several how to remove posts...

I "THINK" if you let the leveling sensor with the rod on it hooked up you'll get no codes...If you still get error codes any dealer can program the bike like a regular RT without a compressor...

Spyder Garage

Here's the info Blueknight was talking about. I have installed this upgraded compressor on 4 RT's (mine and three customers) and all of them have been working fine for several years. You don't need to give up on the automated system. Here's a link to the YouTube video I did. It's about 45 minutes long and very detailed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NR_LY7u8eY&t=1s
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have Grandpot's video saved...Very good information...I have the Viair Comp. mod. but I did things a little different...I spaced the brake fluid reservoir away from the frame to clear the new larger compressor...I put a rocker switch in place of the hard/soft factory switch...I removed the leveling rod, but left the sensor hooked up...I put in a air dash gauge...I can add or remove air from the system air bag as needed...I replaced ALL the push-lock air fittings with compression type, they are prone to leaking and when you have the schrader valve hooked directly to the air bag the slightest leakage results in loss of air in the system...Just checking with a manual gauge lessens the air in the system...Temperature under the Tupperware changes the air bag pressure considerably...Static and loaded pressure, twisting and turning also make the air pressure fluctuate as much as 20/30 lbs...That is why we hear the frequent exhausting of air and then the compressor back on to adjust as per setting...What I did was extensive, two days of fun...My way may not be for anyone else but it made it work the way I wanted it to perform...I personally like have the option of the onboard air compressor...And in hindsight if I were to do this again I would add a small air coupler and carry a flexible air hose that would allow me to air up a low tire if needed while out on the road...That was my last winters project and there will be NO changes made to the air system this winter...I'M HAPPY...larryd

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the responses