Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Adding USB in glove box

I did a search for "USB in Glove Box", but didn't get and results. Has anyone done this on the 2019 RT Ltd?

Spyder Garage

USB power plug or a usb data plug extension from the front trunk?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...10941191&psc=1
    This will get your usb signal back to the oven. Plug into the cable in the frunk, route accordingly.

Spyder Garage

BillyBovine, Thanks for the reply. Yes I understand where they currently are. I was looking to run an extension to the front trunk from the glove box.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    BillyBovine, Thanks for the reply. Yes I understand where they currently are. I was looking to run an extension to the front trunk from the glove box.
    Isn't there already a 12v plug in the frunk?
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Not quite sure I understand your reply. Billy Bovine asked if you were hoping to get simple power for charging devices at your to be installed USB port OR if the USB port you plan to install must supply charging capability AND data capability.

All the best with it, however you go forward.

Spyder Garage

Yes there is and that is the one I want to run an extension to from the glove box so I don't have to leave my phone in the front trunk to use BRP Connect. I want to be able to be able to have my phone available from the glove box.

Spyder Garage

Yes there is and that is the one I want to run an extension to from the glove box so I don't have to leave my phone in the front trunk to use BRP Connect. I want to be able to be able to have my phone available from the glove box.
    With that stated, you are only planning to use this new USB cord to keep the phones battery charged while the phone is in the glove box?

You have no plans to use the phone for music or other audio output into the Spyder.

As a suggestion for improved reliability and longevity, have you consider installing a USB powerport in the glovebox? That would allow more durable and heat resistant wiring to be utilized up to the glove box. Inside the glovebox a typical USB to device cord could be used and easily replaced if worn or damaged.

Just ideas, I am sure you know exactly what you are looking for.

Spyder Garage

I want to run this from the glove box to the front trunk USB data connection.
    61GrsLyomkL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Spyder Garage

bcraig - I also have a 2019 RTL. I recently installed a Tom Tom on top of the dash and fished the power cord through the slot that use to hold the safety card. I got the idea from posts here on installing GPS. I'll try to post a pic later. You are wanting to fish three wires and I'm not sure how this would work. I'm thinking drilling a hole doen through the glove box and fishing the wires from there would make for a cleaner install - I'm just not sure what is under the glove box - some tupperware removal should clear that up.

Good Luck and keep us posted - I might do the same thing
    2019 RTL Asphalt Gray
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Thanks Snakeyes

Spyder Garage

Here's how it looks with mounting GPS on dash and taking the power cord through the safety card slot.
    IMG_1401 (1).jpg
    2019 RTL Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

let's try this one.IMG_1401.jpg

I give up on this picture orientation thing!
    2019 RTL Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Could someone "please" fix my pics? The first one was taken regular (portrait) - I researched here on this site and learned that you need to have your iphone in the horizontal position with the home button to the right....... I did that ---- same result. So, plz fix my pix and give advice.

Thx
    2019 RTL Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Does not need to be fixed. Anyone wishing to see the picture in the correct orientation. Click on the picture. New window will open and the picture will still be sideways. Click in the new window and the picture will go to full screen mode and the orientation will be correct.

Just a reminder. Take pictures with your phone in landscape mode. Just like a camera. So that the picture is wider than it is tall. When you crop a picture after it has been taken. Again make sure it is wider than tall.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

The fuse blocks can be accessed without removing the whole frunk. 2 10mm bolts. There is a junction block from the battery( I attached a 10 gauge wire to it and up to a farkle fuse block under the left headlight area). And when the fuse block is loose there is a 1/2" x 3" slot that leads back to the area of the coolant reservoir that you can route wires up and thru the headlight area and to the handlebar area switches. To get the switches/ glove box off there are two 10mm bolts under there, way in, accessible one from each side, then the glove box can be pulled back and up. Remove the plastic rivet, and leave it out. I hope this helps. Have fun.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Tag-Along trailer
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I did a search for "USB in Glove Box", but didn't get and results. Has anyone done this on the 2019 RT Ltd?
    I don't know how hot it gets inside of the newer RTs but in the earlier RTs it gets HOT ENOUGH TO BOIL AN EGG. Are you sure you want to put an expensive phone in there to melt the circuit board? I fixed the problem on my RT-S by installing the Air Scoops that were originally designed for the 998 engines, it fits perfectly and now I can put a chocolate bar in there, except for on HOT Oklahoma Summer days with the sun shining directly on the Spydie, but cools down quickly once back on the road again.
    Tag-Along trailer
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    I don't know how hot it gets inside of the newer RTs but in the earlier RTs it gets HOT ENOUGH TO BOIL AN EGG. Are you sure you want to put an expensive phone in there to melt the circuit board? I fixed the problem on my RT-S by installing the Air Scoops that were originally designed for the 998 engines, it fits perfectly and now I can put a chocolate bar in there, except for on HOT Oklahoma Summer days with the sun shining directly on the Spydie, but cools down quickly once back on the road again.
    Thanks for the info. I'll check the temp.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I routed a long Apple approved cable behind the headlight and up through the center windshield mount and I use a dash bracket with RAM mount to hold the phone. Keeps the phone in sight and cool with air flow. Much easier to get at than if it's in the frunk. Lamonster has a cable for this.

7F3C8C4E-94EF-4640-83B4-33971E186997_1_201_a.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Can you run it to the front of the dash.
    Instead of bringing through the card slot.
    Also did you hook it directly to the battery?
    Thanks much for your time

Spyder Garage

If it helps, there should be a spare customer use circuit under the left side access panel. It might be taped to the wire bundle. Mine had an identification tag tie wrapped to it. Don't remember the number, but it is already on a fuse in the fuse box.

Should be 10 amp of slot F6.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

That's what I want to do for android. What power source??

Spyder Garage

I've modified this a little detailed,,,,
    The fuse blocks can be accessed without removing the whole frunk. There is a junction block from the battery behind the fuse block. (I attached a 10 gauge wire to it and up to a farkle fuse block under the left headlight area). And when the fuse block is loose (2 - 10mm bolts) there is a 1/2" x 3" slot that leads back to the area of the coolant reservoir that you can route wires up and thru the headlight area and to the handlebar area switches. To get to the switches, the glove box needs to be slid to the rear a little. IIRC you need to unhook the glove box lock cable, cut the zip tie on the left side, it's a little tricky and trickier to hook it back up.. You'll see a couple of bolts on the sides and there are two 10mm bolts under the glove box, they're way in above the engine, accessible one from each side (you'll need a 6" extension), then the glove box can be pulled back and up. Remove the plastic rivet, and leave it out. I hope this helps. Have fun.
    Tag-Along trailer
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires

Spyder Garage

Default How did you resolve your question? Did you complete this project?

Greetings from Indiana
    Your question from last January was spot on for my need (new 2019 RTL last week). Did you get this project completed and, if so, in what way? I have the exact same need and so I'm very interested in your solution. It just makes sense to extend the BRP Connect USB from the frunk to the phone or GPS. But I certainly would not terminate it in the glove box; it's too hot and would interfere with other contents (eg. garage door opener, face masks, etc.) I plan to run mine up through the open space beneath the steering column. When not in use it will lay on the dash but anytime I'm riding the phone will be in the Phone Phang and plugged in.

Last Friday I installed a LaMonster Phone Phang on my steering column. It was easy peasy, took all of 20 minutes. Now I want to get power up there and the frunk USB looks to be the best way. I have a 6ft fast charge USB cable on order and will route it through the grommet opening the power tender uses and route it to the steering column by staying close to other wiring so as to not pinch the cable. At the base of the steering column is an existing opening and I'll snake the USB cable up through there. I don't care for the BRP Connect system and feel that my phone is superior to it, so I'll just use my beloved phone instead.

I look forward to hearing your response with solution. As they say "Keep three wheels on the ground."
    2019 RTL Dark , Orange

Spyder Garage

Again the same question I asked in post #2. Do you want the usb for a data connection to your phone. To use BRP Connect to display apps on your Spyder screen. Or do you just want usb power.

If you want a data connection for your phone. Sure extend the existing usb cable from the front trunk. Do not move the existing cable. But it will barely maintain a charge on a phone when it is using it's gps functions. It will not work for a gps unit like you mentioned and many other devices. Max power with any other device then a phone will be a max of 500 milliamps.

If you want just power. Then get a usb power cable and connect it to the accessories circuit. Lamont sells them. This will give you 2 amps max and work with any device.

2018 F3 LIMITED