Spyder Garage

Default Is it possible to change a Limited into a Touring power train?

By swapping rear Sprocket, Belt and BUDS setting designation to a touring model? Asking for a friend.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    By swapping rear Sprocket, Belt and BUDS setting designation to a touring model? Asking for a friend.
    I don't have the expertise to answer about what could be done with ECU, but I don't think BUDS could do it ….. as far as the Sprocket is concerned, I doubt you find a smaller Sprocket & belt combination that would give you enough to warrant the expense and effort ….. jmho … good luck to anyone considering this ….. mike

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think a few have tried this and found no joy.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Its my understanding that all F3 can be easily programmed to 79T or 89T rear sprocket sizes by any dealer...
    jc from Tx. hopefully reads this and can advise better than me...

larryd

Spyder Garage

That modification (post #1) is above many of our pay grades. I have been driving "touring" bikes all my life (Kawasaki Voyager, Yamaha Venture,) among others configured in "touring" mode. Add to that three RT's, and now a F3L, and I am still happy with the touring aspects of the Spyder.

For me, no additional touring upgrades needed.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Its my understanding that all F3 can be easily programmed to 79T or 89T rear sprocket sizes by any dealer...
    jc from Tx. hopefully reads this and can advise better than me...

larryd
    The setting is there in BUDS but....

Changing it seems to knock several other items out of alignment in VSS and the nanny pitches a fit. I know two folks that have tried this sprocket change and both failed with the same results. I know Monster was working on it but have never heard of anyone completing the changeover.

I do think its possible using BUDS but one would have to know all the other VSS settings bits that need to be changed along with the sprocket size. BRP has not seen fit to drop anyone a anonymous note with the magic juju contained.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post

Changing it seems to knock several other items out of alignment in VSS and the nanny pitches a fit. I know two folks that have tried this sprocket change and both failed with the same results. I know Monster was working on it but have never heard of anyone completing the changeover.

I do think its possible using BUDS but one would have to know all the other VSS settings bits that need to be changed along with the sprocket size. BRP has not seen fit to drop anyone a anonymous note with the magic juju contained.
    By what I've read...the RT...cannot be changed..at least for now...since you indicated that the setting is there in Buds..has any body tried to do it on a F3 platform..an RT And RT are different platforms...it would be interesting to see someone try it.

Spyder Garage

By what I've read...the RT...cannot be changed..at least for now...since you indicated that the setting is there in Buds..has any body tried to do it on a F3 platform..an RT And F3 are different platforms...it would be interesting to see someone try it.

Spyder Garage

Im assuming James was referring to someone trying it on a F3 Limited. He said that monster is working on it. I like your suggestion of doing it and then getting the flash based on a F3T. Maybe for kicks I can call Wick-it and see if they have any info on that. With the new module coming out, It may be possible to get the stage one flash but still be able to make the change to a F3T if they ever get it figured out.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Im assuming James was referring to someone trying it on a F3 Limited. He said that monster is working on it. I like your suggestion of doing it and then getting the flash based on a F3T. Maybe for kicks I can call Wick-it and see if they have any info on that. With the new module coming out, It may be possible to get the stage one flash but still be able to make the change to a F3T if they ever get it figured out.
    Yes indeed..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Several years ago I THINK I remember reading someone was attempting to do that change on their F3 (79T to 89T or 89T to 79T) and the dealer was having difficulty with the programming change and BRP Care posted on here to have that dealer contact them...