Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RT start up time?

My friend had a 2014 RT and it seem to take a while for everything to sink before it would start. He now has a 2018 and it starts right up with no delay.

What year did they fix the delay time on start up?

Thanks

SCwigman

Spyder Garage

Pretty sure my 2015 F3 S did not have a delay as long as you hit the mode switch after turning the key to 'on '.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The earlier models did have a wait time before pressing the Mode button and the newer models don't have it. While the dash is booting up you can press the mode button and start it up immediately. The wait time is still there as we have to wait for the BRP Connect to make connections and you can't start any music while moving so I have to wait so I can get my music going before I get moving.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Mine has something of a delay as well. Not sure why, but it doesn't really bother me. I turn the key and start putting on the gear. As soon as it appears, I hit mode, then start and finish with the gear. Gives both me and the tryke time to warm up. It's been in the mid- 30's every morning for a while now.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    Mine has something of a delay as well. Not sure why, but it doesn't really bother me. I turn the key and start putting on the gear. As soon as it appears, I hit mode, then start and finish with the gear. Gives both me and the tryke time to warm up. It's been in the mid- 30's every morning for a while now.
    A great example of adapting to the situation. I found the same procedure works well for me, though I usually forget something, so the process may not matter at all.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

My 2015 RT S has the delay
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    Yup! Most of us use the delay to put on the "gear." If you have a quick stop...as in gas up the tank...most will start right away...without the delay function kicking in. Not sure what the exact time limit is...but most of the time it works that way for me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Monster Fuel Injection Flash stage 1 or 2 will make your RT INSTANT START...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Yup! Most of us use the delay to put on the "gear." If you have a quick stop...as in gas up the tank...most will start right away...without the delay function kicking in. Not sure what the exact time limit is...but most of the time it works that way for me.
    … I've gone about 10 mins. after shut-down and it will re-start immediately ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    … I've gone about 10 mins. after shut-down and it will re-start immediately ….. Mike
    I thought the delay allowed the system to "self check" everything before starting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quartermain View Post
    I thought the delay allowed the system to "self check" everything before starting.
    Yes. That is correct.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Yes. That is correct.
    I wait to start. When I had Harley's, I was told that starting before the checks are complete might lead to sluggish operation.

Spyder Garage

Something I got used to with the introduction of Fuel Injection into Cycling before the Can Ams were ever made. My Yamaha had it, my triumph has it, my Hogs had it, all with EFI had the delay, and I always let them finish the self check, those can detect issues, I had one bike find a bad sending unit for the oil in a self check, and it turned out to be true, it saved my motor IMHO, so I grew patient with it.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

After all, we need time to read our safety cards, don't we?

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the replays.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krakum1967 View Post
    Something I got used to with the introduction of Fuel Injection into Cycling before the Can Ams were ever made. My Yamaha had it, my triumph has it, my Hogs had it, all with EFI had the delay, and I always let them finish the self check, those can detect issues, I had one bike find a bad sending unit for the oil in a self check, and it turned out to be true, it saved my motor IMHO, so I grew patient with it.
    … Almost all cars / trks made in the past 25 years have been " Fuel Injected " …. to my knowledge none of them have a waiting period …. why is the delay something that is normal on Mtc's ???? ….. PS the newer Spyders are now Instant start - how can they avoid the issues of the models you stated ???? ………… jmho …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quartermain View Post
    It does that on initial start-up and then if the time period is longer than say 15 min. …… Mike

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014RTS-SE6 ,and I have a short delay.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Spyders with the old motor you have to wait for the electronics to "boot" before you can press Mode and then Start. With the 1330 motors, the newer the faster the boot, but with all the 1330s I believe, you can hit the Mode button after turning the key on even though the electronics haven't finished and it will start.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

IIRC, the delay shortened with the introduction of the BUDS 2 system in 2017. But, that's just going from memory.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Our 2012 RT Limited takes maybe 30 seconds or more to cycle through everything. Seems like forever when you're riding with the two wheel folks, or even folks with newer Spyders.

Spyder Garage

When I turn on the key, the center of the RECC screen immediately pops up and reads "CAN-AM." then goes blank and remains so until the "Read safety notice and push Mode button" screen appears. It takes 11 seconds for the safety screen notice to appear from the time the ignition switch is turned on. While the screen is blank waiting for the safety notice/Mode button screen to appear I can press the Mode button all I want and NOTHING happens; BIKE WILL NOT START. The bike will start only when the "...press Mode button" wording appears and I do so. As you recall, if the bike is in gear, R or 1, you must press the brake pedal to allow the start button to work, but if the bike was in Neutral when last shut off you can simply press the start button to light off the engine. IMO, the inoperabity of the Mode button is at least in part to prevent accidental starting of the engine until the operator can see what gear it is in before attempting to start it. The system has probably saved more than one operator from saying, "But officer I didn't know it was in gear." Newer MYs have essentially eliminated system boot up time.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Haven't been on in a while, but after reading this thread, I tried it on my '14 RTS. A few seconds after "Can-Am" appears, I can hit the mode button and it starts right up. When the screen finishes booting it goes right to the gauges. I'm still putting on my gear, so maybe this gets me a few more seconds of warm up.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange