Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Syn or semi syn 5-40?

About to do my first oil change. I’m at 3k miles. I see it’s 3.5QTs. I’m so use to using Motul 7100 or 300V in my high performance sport bikes. Might not need the best of the best oil but in my mind I feel better. Anyways I heard you can use car oil. I still think I’m gonna stick with bike oil. What is everyone using?

Spyder Garage

OH NO . . . ANOTHER OIL THREAD
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stridersr7 View Post
    About to do my first oil change. I’m at 3k miles. I see it’s 3.5QTs. I’m so use to using Motul 7100 or 300V in my high performance sport bikes. Might not need the best of the best oil but in my mind I feel better. Anyways I heard you can use car oil. I still think I’m gonna stick with bike oil. What is everyone using?
    … 3.5 Qts. ???? … what spyder do you have ??? … Last I knew Spyders take 5 Qts. +/- ….. and semi-syn oil is rarely even a 50 / 50 Blend ….. Full Syn oil is only slightly more expensive the Blended if you buy after-market Syn oil ….. Oil is a Very critical part of any engine /trans set-up ….. jmho … Mike

Spyder Garage

La Monster has the complete kit, for a friendly price.
    2018 F3 , Full size brake pedal Black

Spyder Garage

Ryker 900. I never said I had a Spyder

Spyder Garage

I would stick to full synthetic, and be sure to follow the specs. The Ryker isn't a wet clutch bike so it wouldn't seem that is should need a JASO MA2 oil, but for some reason that's what BRP recommends. It's likely because that's the oil they put in a bunch of their motors, but I would think that a "car oil" would be fine. To be honest, there are literally hundreds of "oils" threads here on the site. Try typing in "what oil should I use" in the search tab in the upper right corner of the page, and you can read til your eyes bleed. Lots of facts and lots of opinions so it's up to you to sort it all out. In the end, just do what the manual says to do and ya can't go wrong. I put the recommended specified oil in my wife's Ryker 900. I use Rotella T-6 in the Spyder RT and in the Ryker...but that's just me and my own 2 cents
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

.... You never said you had a RYKER either ...… Mike

Spyder Garage

I was just waiting for this shoe to drop. I saw it coming from a mile away since you posted on the Ryker forum. But with the 'What's New' format these days. You don't always catch this detail.

I'm going to put engine only oil in my Ryker since it is an 'Engine Only' application. I can get a superior lubricant for less money. Not necessarily recommending it to anyone else. Just the way I'm going to go. I want the advantages that an engine only oil offers over a wet clutch/transmission gear lubricant, since the Ryker has neither.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-29-2020 at 12:21 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I might just get this. Whole gallon less then $40.

https://www.amazon.com/MOTUL-7100-Sy...ul+7100&sr=8-3

Spyder Garage

I might just get this. Whole gallon less then $40.

https://www.amazon.com/MOTUL-7100-Sy...ul+7100&sr=8-3
    Hell, get this. Whole gallon for $21
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rot...-gal/102646780

OEM SPECIFICATIONS AND APPROVALS
    5W-40
    API: CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4 ACEA E9, JASO DH-2, Cummins CES 20086; Volvo
    VDS-4.5; Detroit Fluid Specification DDC (DFS) 93K222, Caterpillar ECF-2/ECF-3, MAN
    M3575, JASO MA/ MA2, Allison TES 439, MB-Approval 228.31

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I use Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5W-40. Here is the link for Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LH7L0KS..._FGzmEbA23YE9M

Spyder Garage

Why does it say Diesel engine oil?

Spyder Garage

It is used on Diesel as well as gas engines. That is the only oil I use both in my cars and motorcycles. I own Harley's BMW's now on Can Am Ryker Rally.

Spyder Garage

The key is the spec stating JASO MA/MA2 approval. Certified ? Probably not, but approved. It will work without issues... Officially an oil thread

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

My 2 and 1/ 2 cents(inflation) Read the specs in your manual. I use any oil that meets the specs. The best mechanic I knew said it's more important to change the oil on time and according to the specs. There are going to be many folks who swear by there brand oil. Disregard the ads on the oil container. I have been using this in my engine and gearbox. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The cheapest oil I could find and I change it on schedule. But there are others that I am sure are just as good.

Spyder Garage

I just went ahead and got a gallon of the BRP for the first oil change. Next one will be something different

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
    My 2 and 1/ 2 cents(inflation) Read the specs in your manual. I use any oil that meets the specs. The best mechanic I knew said it's more important to change the oil on time and according to the specs. There are going to be many folks who swear by there brand oil. Disregard the ads on the oil container. I have been using this in my engine and gearbox. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The cheapest oil I could find and I change it on schedule. But there are others that I am sure are just as good.
    Is this oil JASO MA2 rated. I can't tell from the bottle and the FAQs say "No"

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Getting back to the OP's actual question " What is everyone using?". I let the dealership do my first oil change at the 3,000 mile inspection. They used the Can-Am semi-syn 5w40. However, I will be doing my own oil changes in the future using a full synthetic 5w40 that meets at least one of the API service classifications (SJ, SL, SM, or SN) as specified by my owners manual.
    Last edited by Tslepebull; 01-30-2020 at 10:04 AM. Reason: clarification
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    Getting back to the OP's actual question " What is everyone using?". I let the dealership do my first oil change at the 3,000 mile inspection. They used the Can-Am semi-syn 5w40. However, I will be doing my own oil changes in the future using a full synthetic 5w40 that meets at least one of the API service classifications (SJ, SL, SM, or SN) as specified by my owners manual.
    I will use BRP Can-Am semi-syn 5w40 oil for now. But will look at Mobil 1

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Is this oil JASO MA2 rated. I can't tell from the bottle and the FAQs say "No"
    Since the JASO rating is specifically for wet clutch applications. And since the Ryker has no wet clutch. I would have to ask what relevance a JASO rating has for the Ryker? You don't look for a JASO rating when purchasing oil for your car or truck. Same/Same...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I just went ahead and got a gallon of the BRP for the first oil change. Next one will be something different
    I had the dealer do the first change at 3000 miles and they used BEL RAY synthetic blend bulk oil. The receipt does not indicate the version used
    Current: 2022 CAN AM F3S SS. Manta Green, Route 129 windscreen.

Previous:CAN AM Ryker Rally. Intense black, side case , comfort drivers seat, comfort passenger seat with back r test, wind screen, LED auxiliary lighting.
    2022 F3S, special series , Manta Green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmith8695 View Post
    I had the dealer do the first change at 3000 miles and they used BEL RAY synthetic blend bulk oil. The receipt does not indicate the version used
    Amazing - if you didn't request it, and or provide it, I find it odd that a DEALER did not use a BRP product ….. this would give me pause about that dealer …… good luck ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Many of us bring to oil selection opinions based upon seat of the pants "feel," or "that's what I've always used" with no factual performance, i.e., oil analysis. From the get go I figured that for all the shekels I've invested in my roadster the chump change expense of oil analysis was the best way to protect my investment and select the oil that performed best under measurable conditions.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Api ratings

Several people have suggested The Rotella t6 synthetic oil which I am a fan of and use on my quads etc. It does not appear to meet the Api service ratings listed in my manual for the Ryker however. I would not reccomend this oil based on that alone for the Ryker. Per the owners manual ,,Use a 5W40 4-stroke SAE
    synthetic engine oil meeting
    or exceeding the following
    lubricant industry specifications.
    Always check the API service label
    certification on the oil container, it must
    contain at least one of the indicated
    standards.
    – API service classification SJ, SL,
    SM or SN

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I suspect there are very few dealers that would use any other oil than BRP off their shelf.