Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tennessee motorcycle license

Can anyone give any insight on Tennessee motorcycle license requirements? The way I read it, you get one class of license for a bike over 150cc's, regardless of two or three wheels. Is that correct? My Illinois class D-M license allows me to drive a car as well as ANY motorcycle, two or three wheels. I think a class L let's you ride a three wheeler only in Illinois. Is there a separate class in Tennessee for two wheels verses three wheels only? Any info will be appreciated!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Laws will vary from state to state. Best to talk with the actual DMV of the state you are going with.

EG: When we lived in AK, they issue a MC endorsement based on what you tested on. I came to AK from WI. Had a MC endorsement for all two wheelers, regardless of CC. AK accepted that and I was good to go. Linda, who had a regular AK driver license had to do a written test for MC. She road tested on the Spyder and got a three wheel endorsement.

When we moved to AR last summer, they accepted our AK licenses without any further testing. They do not have three wheel endorsements here, so we both have MC endorsements for anything motorcycle.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Basically, what I want to know is if I take a test on my Spyder, will I get an endorsement for three wheelers only, or is it for all motorcycles. I guess it doesn't really matter, as I don't have anything other than our Spyder. Thanks for the replies.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Look at the New Residents section in the link I posted and give them a call to get the answer straight from the horse's mouth.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    Can anyone give any insight on Tennessee motorcycle license requirements? The way I read it, you get one class of license for a bike over 150cc's, regardless of two or three wheels. Is that correct? My Illinois class D-M license allows me to drive a car as well as ANY motorcycle, two or three wheels. I think a class L let's you ride a three wheeler only in Illinois. Is there a separate class in Tennessee for two wheels verses three wheels only? Any info will be appreciated!
    Hey, I have class DM which allows me to drive cars, trucks, motorcycles and tricycles as my dear late mother used to call my Spyder.
    So I think your good to go. Dennis

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift