Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Spyders Throughout the Years

Hey SL!

I've been trying to put together a model history (surprisingly difficult to do, lots of conflicting information out there). I think I have it now pretty solidly defined, please take a look and let me know if I missed anything (intentionally omitted color packages like the Dark edition)

Spyder-History-rev2.JPG

While we're on the topic.. the letter coding used. I can make up a bit of logic for the letter codes but it's not consistent at all. Using other manufacturers the letters would mean something of the following..
    • GS - Grand Sport
    • RS - Rally Sport
    • RS-S - Rally Sport - Special Edition
    • RT - Rally Touring
    • RT-S - Rally Touring Special Edition
    • ST - Sport Touring
    • ST-S - Sport Touring Special Edition
    • F3 - yeah... kinda just a motor designation?
    • F3-S - F3 Special Edition

For the most part that works.. but there was one year where Can Am shows a "F3-S Special Edition" which loosely translates to "F3 Special Edition Special Edition"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MrSchaefer; 01-28-2020 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Updated for new information - revised grid
    2021 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I am probably wrong on this. I thought the RT LTD came out in 2011. Bruce
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-28-2020 at 11:25 AM.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

I believe that the GS moniker was only run during the 1st production 2008 Spyders. It is my understanding that the same model was called an RS beginning in the 2009 model year. But at worst, I think you are very close.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    I think you’re right - I’ll update my grid. Thanks Bruce!
    2021 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I believe that the GS moniker was only run during the 1st production 2008 Spyders. It is my understanding that the same model was called an RS beginning in the 2009 model year. But at worst, I think you are very close.
    I think there might be some revisionist history out there too - found one BRP doc that claimed the GS was never a thing and the first model was the RS. It was somewhere in the 09/10 year they swapped it when the RT became a thing.. could have been a mid-model change?
    2021 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrSchaefer View Post
    I think there might be some revisionist history out there too - found one BRP doc that claimed the GS was never a thing and the first model was the RS. It was somewhere in the 09/10 year they swapped it when the RT became a thing.. could have been a mid-model change?
    I had a 2008 ( first year of production ) my Vermont State DMV title said it was a GS …. I think Ron can confirm this …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I had a 2008 ( first year of production ) my Vermont State DMV title said it was a GS …. I think Ron can confirm this …… Mike
    Yes, I have an original 2008, which is definitely a GS. I don't know why BRP seems to be so embarrassed by this designation. Frankly, it really doesn't matter.

Don't know if you care. But the SE5 was not introduced until the 2009 model. That's also why it seems right to me that the GS/RS designation changed at the same time. Could be wrong.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP's documentation

This is probably as close as you're going to get for an official BRP chronological listing of the models. This is from the 10th Anniversary Homecoming book they sent to all attendees after the spring 2017 Can Am Homecoming Event. It covers up through 2017. I chopped the two page image into eight smaller images so they would show up better here. They go as shown here, left to right, top to bottom, of the two page spread in the book. What it doesn't show is when a particular model was discontinued.

Spyder history 001.jpg Spyder history 002.jpg Spyder history 003.jpg Spyder history 004.jpg

Spyder history 005.jpg Spyder history 006.jpg Spyder history 007.jpg Spyder history 008.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Glad you cleared that up... I stand corrected. Better that than walking around WRONG!

Loved the 2012 RS Blue and the RSS Lime Green. Don't have either!

Spyder Garage

That is great Idaho, Thanks for those pictures.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

This is why I love you guys (and gals)!

Thanks Idaho! That’s perfect! I’m pretty solid on the decommission dates.. they make a little sense when you step back and look at it from a market standpoint. It’s interesting how all the chaos of models in the middle years points pretty directly to the unified model look and feel of the 2020 lineup.
    2021 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

My wife started on an '09 GS. Sold it and bought her an '11 RTL. Traded it in on a '19 RTL. And I now have a '15 F3S. Looks like the book posted above does a good job of showing history. They've definitely been evolving.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    RE: 2010 RT:

The "top of the line" in 2010 was called the RTS. No dashes, etc...just like I printed it.

I bought a 2010 RTS Premier edition #474. I am guessing Premier was in lieu of Limited. And that year...the top of the line color was Black. Next year, black became the bottom of the line color.

RE: 2008 GS:

The 2008 that I purchased had the GS designation. I got the first one sold to a customer in Alaska. It was a 2008 GS, SM5.

RE: 2009 RS:

Could not even get the SE5 (semi auto) until 2009.
    Got one of those for my spouse. The one I purchased had an RS designation. We bought a 2009 RS, SE5 that year.

Sorry for the "edit." I pushed the wrong button. Should have been a quote.

This information may add a bit of controversy to the mix because of differing information concerning GS and RS printed by others.

In the early days of Spyder, I studied everything I could. I did know more about Spyder than the dealer and the sales staff. The designations for GS and RS did appear on my MC registration and titles in the years I indicated.

So I guess you can take this additional information however you want.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-28-2020 at 02:16 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I am noting that they are calling the 09 version a GS. I would disagree with that one.

I have NOT fine tooth combed the rest of the pictures.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-28-2020 at 07:18 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    RE: 2008 GS:

2008 was the ONLY year of the GS designation. I got the first one sold to a customer in Alaska. It was a 2008 GS, SM5.

RE: 2009 RS:

Could not even get the SE5 (semi auto) until 2009.
    Got one of those for my spouse. That was the year the RS designation came in. We bought a 2009 RS, SE5 that year.
    Had a 2009 GS - written on the title, and owner's manual as such. Many people wanted to correct me and say it was a RS. I would pull out the owners manual and title and show it said GS.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    Had a 2009 GS - written on the title, and owner's manual as such. Many people wanted to correct me and say it was a RS. I would pull out the owners manual and title and show it said GS.
    It does indeed sound like the 2009 was marketed under two different designations. I am thinking it depended on when and where a person made the purchase. There was a change over from GS to RS...but only BRP knows when and why.

It is sounding like BRP had some naming issues. It will not be the first time there has been information errors between models, printed information, specs, and catalog stuff. When comparing between marketing departments and engineering we sometimes get conflicting information.

Let's blame it on BRP and let it ride. Sometimes, it is hard to trust but verify. The issue is kind of moot anyway. My 08 and 09 are long gone.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-28-2020 at 01:02 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It does indeed sound like the 2009 was marketed under two different designations. I am thinking it depended on when and where a person made the purchase. There was a change over from GS to RS...but only BRP knows when and why.

It is sounding like BRP had some naming issues. It will not be the first time there has been information errors between models, printed information, specs, and catalog stuff. When comparing between marketing departments and engineering we sometimes get conflicting information.

Let's blame it on BRP and let it ride. Sometimes, it is hard to trust but verify. The issue is kind of moot anyway. My 08 and 09 are long gone.
    Well, I just spent too much time trying to verify it to let it ride! Here is what I found. On this page, https://motorcycles.autotrader.com/m...r_gs/200858526, is an ad for a 2009 GS with the VIN in the ad. Here is what comes up when I do a recall VIN check on the BRP site.

Spyder GS verify.jpg

The recall verbiage clearly distinguishes between the 2009 GS and 2010 RS. Is it 100% accurate? Who knows! Two other 2009 Spyders check out the same. I think one of the reasons for the confusion is BRP doesn't refer to GS or RS as far as I can tell looking at 2007 to 2009 brochures listed for sale on eBay. The designation didn't really become meaningful until 2010 when the RT was introduced.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Well, I just spent too much time trying to verify it to let it ride! Here is what I found. On this page, https://motorcycles.autotrader.com/m...r_gs/200858526, is an ad for a 2009 GS with the VIN in the ad. Here is what comes up when I do a recall VIN check on the BRP site.

Spyder GS verify.jpg

The recall verbiage clearly distinguishes between the 2009 GS and 2010 RS. Is it 100% accurate? Who knows! Two other 2009 Spyders check out the same. I think one of the reasons for the confusion is BRP doesn't refer to GS or RS as far as I can tell looking at 2007 to 2009 brochures listed for sale on eBay. The designation didn't really become meaningful until 2010 when the RT was introduced.
    Thanks for the additional info. All the info I got on the 09 said it was RS. Mine arrived in June or July of 09. Glad I am not compiling information for the archives. We all know what we bought, so I do not have any arguments with what has been said about particular machines.

Based on further information from IMS, I have edited my information posted earlier. It appears that both flavors were sold in 2009.

BRP did it.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-28-2020 at 02:18 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    Based on further information, I have edited my information posted earlier. It appears that both flavors were sold in 2009.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    This is probably as close as you're going to get for an official BRP chronological listing of the models...
    Idaho - It looks like the pictures for 2 and 6 were identical. Do you have the picture that should be in spot 2? The one that shows the second part of the 2010 model year?
    2021 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrSchaefer View Post
    Idaho - It looks like the pictures for 2 and 6 were identical. Do you have the picture that should be in spot 2? The one that shows the second part of the 2010 model year?
    I was just going to post a question, "Didn't anyone catch my mistake?" You are so correct! I was trying to figure out earlier today why don't I see a 2013 group? I just a few minutes ago pulled out the book and looked and sure enough, I had a copy of 6 in the 2 spot. All is fixed now!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Hey AR, please fix the invalid link in the quote in your post #14. My fixing my earlier post broke the link in the quote. The whole page turns dark if you click on the pics in the quote.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Based on further information from IMS, I have edited my information posted earlier. It appears that both flavors were sold in 2009.

BRP did it.
    It's okay - Jeep did one worse - they didn't just do a naming change - they did a whole model refresh in the middle of the year. You can buy a 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JK) - old body style or a 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) - brand new body style - different look/feel/different after market accessories/etc.

I guess MFGs just do what they want and we consumers get to figure it out as needed. LOL!
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

It’s tricky too because model years for cars, etc run on a modified fiscal year instead of a calendar year.. that’s why you can buy 2020 model year cars in late 2019. Most recreational vehicles are the same way. We once bought a travel trailer from Cherokee in April of 2015 that was technically a 2016. We sold it a year and a half later as a basically brand new (on paper) camper. Anyway, This odd modifies production year can lead to some weird confusion when a major update happens in a calendar cycle.

I remember my VW Jetta was that way.. it was technically the previous year model year but the latter years body style.. I believe they called it a 2004.5 or whatever the year of it was.
    2021 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Do not forget the 1964 1/2 Mustang

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016
    SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera
    Show Chrome Back Rest , Show Chrome Hitch
    Leesure-lite trailer, Harbor Freight tag along trailer (sold)
    Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames
    BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors, DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs,
    DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags, Method to open Frunk and seat without using key,
    LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod